Richard III Re-interment

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I think the only Tudor I have time for is Margaret Tudor (Henry VII's eldest daughter, who married James IV). Sadly much neglected by historians today, and mother of the Stuart dynasty that would out live her better known brother's (the current Queen is a descendant through her mother).

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
I think the only Tudor I have time for is Margaret Tudor (Henry VII's eldest daughter, who married James IV). Sadly much neglected by historians today, and mother of the Stuart dynasty that would out live her better known brother's (the current Queen is a descendant through her mother).

Ha, have to say that if I were to cheer for anyone, it would be the Scots, so I agree with you (but I have a soft spot for Mary I as well (Tudor not Stuart) because fate really did hand her some lousy cards so I have to feel a bit sorry for her). But English history perks up once James arrives and debauches the court with sex, drink and baroque'n'roll. :)

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
I still think Richard had his nephews killed, but honestly I'm not worked up about the whole thing. I'm fascinated, but I have no strong emotions attached to it. And in case anyone asks for evidence, I'm not an expert in the field and I'm not presenting an argument; this is just my impression from reading several books on the topic. He was still a king, and both his story and the story of how his remains were discovered are amazing.

I found a contemporary source one time, and I wish I'd made copies of it. Luckily, I still know the library that holds the book, so if I can ever get back there again....

The writer was living during the Tudor occupation, not, I think, more than 25-50 years after Richard's death, but don't quote me for it. The gist of his commentary was that there was a popular rumor and belief circulating that Buckingham, in his attempts to bring Richard to power and then depose him, had committed the murder at approximately the time he rose in rebellion. Richard was thus unable to ever prove his innocence.

Given other primary material I found, it made a frightening amount of logic.

I am so glad that he has been reburied honorably.

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If you're interested in Richard III and you haven't read Sharon Kay Penman's The Sunne in Splendour, you should look it up.

Margaret Tudor seems to have been neglected by biographers and novelists, which is a shame.