The NFL 2012 Season

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Who else looks forward to the start of the NFL season every year? Got a specific team that you follow? Which one? Might be fun to have a thread to go to every week to bitch or celebrate, depending on the prior week's performance.

I'm a lifelong Steeler fan. Don't hold it against me, I grew up there. I've been in LA for quite a few years, but you know, a city of 10 million people can't be expected to support a pro football team. Not really. The biggest problem out here is where to put the new stadium they've been talking about forever.

Anybody else excited for the new season? Pro football is the only sport that I will still watch dependably. Not that I catch all the aired games , but I'll typically catch two or three a week. Used to be a big boxing fan, but politics, read that as business, has decimated the sport and broken my love for the game.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For me, (yep, I'm a girly-girl who loves watching the NFL) it doesn't get any better than the fact that this year, my beloved Redskins play the Cowboys on Thanksgiving. :snoopy:

I told Mr. Hunny that I'm making him an extra special dessert to snack on while we watch the game.

He loves peanut butter cups, and I just found an awesome recipe for a devil's food cake with chocolate and peanut butter frosting.

So yeah, I'm pumped that the NFL season is upon us.

Go SKINS!!!! :partyguy:

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Lavern, yeah, I'm really looking forward to the season. Won't get anything as cool as homemade peanut butter cups, though. I only caught one Steeler preseason game, but I gotta say they look good. Keep us posted as to how your Redskins do. Are you in that area? Do you live out of the area and get NFL Ticket? I've been thinking about getting it this year, because as it is, I only get about a half a dozen Steeler games. Even though LA doesn't have a team, if the Chargers or the Raiders or the 49ers are on, they will usually get the nod.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...Won't get anything as cool as homemade peanut butter cups, though.

See? you should have married an old-fashioned, southern girl. :tongue

Do you live out of the area and get NFL Ticket?

We're in Virginia, so we get to catch all of the Skins games. ;)

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
See? you should have married an old-fashioned, southern girl. :tongue

We're in Virginia, so we get to catch all of the Skins games. ;)

I'm gonna send this link to my wife, Lavern. I think she'll agree with you. I lived in Baltimore for a year when I was a kid, but I wasn't really looking for marriage material.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Nice thread.

:fistpump Go Bears! :fistpump

(lifelong Chicago Bears fan :D)

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Nice thread.

So, when you get a chance, fill us in on, remind us of the Jay Cutler situation. I'm always a little foggy for the first few weeks of the season, but Chicago fans had a problem with his seemingly blase attitude, am I right? Then i seem to remember him coming out and having a few great games. To me, he just tries to keep it cool so he doesn't get spun out. I think he's a good QB. What do you think of him?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Nice thread.

So am I!

DA BEARS!

As for Cutler.... meh. He can play really well but he can also play like a total donkey. I mean, 9 sacks in one game? Argghh! Throw the damn ball!

He was playing pretty well last year at the start of the season until he got injured.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
I'll give the Steelers props. I think they're in the running for the AFC title.

So, when you get a chance, fill us in on, remind us of the Jay Cutler situation.

Personally, I think he gets a bad rap from reports such as this one. I also think long-time Bears fans tend to (unfairly) compare him to the fiesty Jim McMahon. IMHO, Cutler is a top-15 QB, maybe even top-10.

He played behind one of the lowest-ranked offensive lines in the NFL. Mike Martz's offensive scheme wasn't helping Cutler, with a lot of 7-step-dropbacks and lack of help from other personnel to help with pass protection.

I'm hoping that new OC Mike Tice's simplified offense will help Cutler, since Tice will focus more on quicker passes and having a tight end or fullback help out with those pesky pass-rushers (especially since the Bears did very little to improve their personnel on the O-line this offseason :().

I also feel that Cutler will improve now that he has a legitimate #1 receiver in Brandon Marshall, promising rookie Alshton Jeffery, and veteran receiver Earl Bennett. Having Matt Forte back doesn't hurt, too. :D

So am I!

DA BEARS!

:yessmiley Another Bears fan! High-five! :D

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I wouldn't go quite that far with Cutler. I certainly don't think he's top 10. But yeah, I agree with you about the O-line. It was not good. Hopefully the new coach will sort out the protection.

By the way, and this won't mean anything to you lot but it makes me go squeee!, the BBC are showing Monday Night Football! For the first time ever!

<jumps up and down in excitement>

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I'll give the Steelers props. I think they're in the running for the AFC title.

Personally, I think he gets a bad rap from reports such as this one. I also think long-time Bears fans tend to (unfairly) compare him to the fiesty Jim McMahon. IMHO, Cutler is a top-15 QB, maybe even top-10.

He played behind one of the lowest-ranked offensive lines in the NFL. Mike Martz's offensive scheme wasn't helping Cutler, with a lot of 7-step-dropbacks and lack of help from other personnel to help with pass protection.

I'm hoping that new OC Mike Tice's simplified offense will help Cutler, since Tice will focus more on quicker passes and having a tight end or fullback help out with those pesky pass-rushers (especially since the Bears did very little to improve their personnel on the O-line this offseason :().

I also feel that Cutler will improve now that he has a legitimate #1 receiver in Brandon Marshall, promising rookie Alshton Jeffery, and veteran receiver Earl Bennett. Having Matt Forte back doesn't hurt, too. :D

:yessmiley Another Bears fan! High-five! :D

It's funny how a town is with some QBs. The only thing that will bring 'em around is big wins. Big Ben, with all the "scrapes" he's gotten into, if he hadn't won two Super Bowls I think they would have run him out of town. And Terry Bradshaw, after he'd retired he refused to go back to Pittsburgh for years. He talks about how bad it was for him in the early days, before he'd started to win the big games, and the press and the fans were united in their disdain (disgust) for him. It was on an off day, after a particularly bad week, after he'd been booed off the field once again and Terry had to get out. He got in his car and just drove, and he'd been driving for a long time. It was a beautiful, clear sunny day and he was quite a few miles out of town. The quiet was beginning to have its therapeutic effect when he stops at a rural traffic light. The birds are singing, the air is sweet, and the driver stopped along his side reaches over, rolls down his window, and, "BOOOOO!"

bmadsen

I hate mayo
Registered
Reaction score
Broncos fan, but slightly skeptical about Manning. I'm not sure if he can stay healthy throughout the season. hoping for the best though.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a long time ravens fan and I'm really looking forward to their first game. I think this will be a breakout season for their receiver, Torry Smith. He nearly got a thousand yards in his rookie season and that was without being in the first handful of games. Also, with it being so close to Art Modell's death, I really wouldn't want to be in the Bengal's shoes this Monday.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a long time ravens fan and I'm really looking forward to their first game. I think this will be a breakout season for their receiver, Torry Smith. He nearly got a thousand yards in his rookie season and that was without being in the first handful of games. Also, with it being so close to Art Modell's death, I really wouldn't want to be in the Bengal's shoes this Monday.

The Ravens/Steelers wars are always highlights of the season. May I wish you a good season, but not too good?

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I root for two teams,

The Washington Redskins and who ever is playing the Dallas Cowboys.

The Giants really pissed me off the other night with their lack of defense and offense. They gave one to Dallas.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Getting ready to watch the Skins at the Saints. The Saints have a lot to prove, and Drew Brees is one tough competitor. But the Skins have a new QB that should make alotta noise, Robert Griffin III. And we all remember how tough Robert Junior and Senior were. Good luck, Nick and Lavern.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Oh my lord. I thought I was going to need a :e2paperba but they've got their heads together.

DA BEARS!

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
DA BEARS!

My boys!

Yes, I know, getting carried away. It's only the first game of the season. But still....

DA BEARS!

And by the way, a message to Mr Luck.

Welcome to the NFL.

:e2cheer::e2cheer:

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
DA BEARS!

My boys!

Yes, I know, getting carried away. It's only the first game of the season. But still....

DA BEARS!

And by the way, a message to Mr Luck.

Welcome to the NFL.

:e2cheer::e2cheer:

How'd our boy, Jay do?