Historical Outliner or Pantster?

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Well, I go into my writing with some idea of what I plan to do. I don't start with any kind of outline, but I have ideas about some points along the way I want to hit--for instance, that I want the MC to go to Georgia partway through the story to experience the plantation for herself, or I need Archie to drop Emily like a hot potato at some point. A sort of outline builds itself as I go along and get deeper into the plot and subplots, most of which grow up organically with the story. I let the story kind of carry me along, making sure I include certain story elements. At some point, I do usually have to sit down and organize my thoughts into something like a lose outline. It's basically a list of events to make sure I don't forget any ideas I've had.

So, uh, does that make me a pantser or an outliner?

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
PS - I'm VERY glad I'm a Snowflaker now. I had some rewrites to do, and decided to bring a character back into a major plotline, which means I had to insert about 6 scenes with her throughout the book. My scene outline (though outdated after I had finished editing) was very helpful for times/dates/event chronology, helping me to insert them in the right times. It made it much easier!