Quoting music in a book

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
I've got books set in the 18th and 19th century Ireland. The characters are musical, and often sing along with the work of the day. These would be songs in Irish, and I do my best to find 'traditional' songs that have no copyright. However, I include some of the song in the text.

Does this throw people off? I'm not quoting the whole song, but just a few lines. I translate it in the character's thoughts (3rd person limited).

Though they are traditional, many artists have covered traditional songs, and therefore have the words as part of their recordings. Is that an issue? I try very hard to only quote songs that are actually from the time period or before.

Like so:
After this morose beginning, Brian went on to more cheerful songs, such as Old Arboe and The Colleen Rue. After that, Bridey made a shy, almost inaudible request for Báidín Fheidhlimidh, a children’s song about a small boat. This was a song in the Irish, and though she knew it was allowed now, Esme always felt a thrill of revolution by singing it. For many years, she had been taught, the Irish had been outlawed. This was allowed now, and taught to them in the Hedge School, but it still had the flavor of sweet forbidden fruit.

“Báidín Fheidhlimidh d’imigh go Gabhla,
Báidín Fheidhlimidh is Fheidhlimidh ann.”

There was a sweet, satisfied smile on Bridey’s face after this favorite song of hers was done, and Esme almost felt her heart break at the sight.

beckethm

Registered
Reaction score
I think a couple of lines are fine. However, when an author includes long paragraphs of song or poetry, I skip over it. It takes me away from the story. It may just be me though.

My thoughts exactly.

Quoting lines in Irish, you also have the problem that unless the reader is familiar with Irish spelling, she won't be able to hear the lines in her head. All you're really giving is the look of the words, not the sound or meter or meaning.

You do a nice job in your excerpt of showing what the song means to the character, though, which is really what counts.

TheCuriousOne

Registered
Reaction score
Something like your excerpt wouldn't bother me, even though I don't speak a single word of Irish. The context gives me an idea of what the song is about, and gets my imagination going as to what the tune might be. I can't say I don't like it :)

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
I doubt something like that--two lines, with a reference to what the song is about and, most importantly, what it means to sing it (especially in Irish)--is going to throw many readers. The way you've set it up it doesn't matter what the lines are or what they sound like, it's the fact that they're sung that's meaningful. I wouldn't go much longer than 2 lines though, especially in another language, though I think having a couple instances is fine. It makes me think of this book called No Great Mischief by Alister MacCleod, which is about people from Cape Breton in Nova Scotia (Canada), a place where older Scottish traditions stayed very strong and Gaelic was the main language well through most of the 20th C--he included a lot of places where the characters sang in Gaelic, usually 2-4 lines, which contributed a lot to the overall evocation of tradition and place. The book was very highly acclaimed.

The only thing to make sure of when you're quoting is the source of your lyrics. In the US, any songs published before about 1925 (I forget the exact date; I think it's actually a couple years later than that now, but I'd rather err on the side of caution) are fully public domain. It doesn't matter if they're recorded. But, that refers only to the lyrics as they were published before 1925--later modifications may still be under copyright, even if they're minor. So it's better to have a pre-1925 (ish) source to point to with your exact lyrics than a liner note from a modern musician, who might have changed something. For traditional songs I think this is way less likely to even potentially be a problem than for popular songs, but if you can cover that base, it's a good idea.

p. s. I just looked up the song and listened to it--love it!

Last edited:

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Thanks, all! flapper, I'm glad you looked it up and enjoyed it :)

If I can't verify that it would have existed in that time, I am not including even mention of it. It bugs me to have that sort of anachronism.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Be sure that the translations are public domain as well. Translations can be much later and still copyrighted.

But your example seemed fine to me.

You probably know this, but song titles are not copyrighted, and so are fair game.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal