Cervantes Turns up

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Not convinced that we can be *certain* without DNA evidence. The archaeologist in me is deeply suspicious of anyone going out to identify named persons (even Richard Buckley who found Richard III said 'we thought we'd be lucky if we found a line of church wall).

Sunflowerrei

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleathy.com
Interesting. But I agree with gothicangel--only DNA testing can really tell us and it sounds like there aren't any descendants. I wonder how many people were buried at that convent. The idea of bones underneath paved stone churches fascinates me in a Gothic kind of way.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's safe to say that some of teh bones are his. He was buried there, there aren't many graves around his, and they can probably determine which bones are his, and which aren't, given time.

DNA is a wonderful tool, but there's way the hell too much reliance on it now. I think too many have forgotten who to do real research and scientific work without it.

You don't have to be DNA certain to make a judgment that would stand up in any court, or any scientific inquiry.

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
If they'd have found bones matching the injuries he is known to have suffered (like the severed hand), I think you might have a case without DNA, but otherwise there's absolutely no telling which bones, if any, are his.