Your historical WIP time & place

Jimmy Boy

Registered
Reaction score
The finished one I'm trying to sell, 1215-1217 England.

The one I'm getting started on, 1346-1347 France.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
WiP: London, 1593 ('soft' SF alternate history- Henry VIII's grand-daughter rules a more-or-less Catholic England, and America is inhabited by technologically advanced folk who evolved from raccoon-like beasties :Wha: )

Plans: all a bit vague, but there will be one or more sequels set in Europe in the 1590s, and at some point I'll probably write something set in the same altered timeline but around 150-200 years later.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jerusalem, Afghanistan and China from 7BC to the birth of Christ.

dantem42

Registered
Reaction score
Civil War New Orleans. Mine pits two historical characters against each other: the legendary voodoo queen Marie Laveau against the 19th Century's most notorious murderess, Delphine Lalaurie.

yttar

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
yttar.blogspot.com
Current WIP: The Emerald Dragon, the Caribbean Sea, 1692. Natural disasters, pirates, monks, shapeshifters, magic, and fate.

Yttar

Dhewco

Registered
Reaction score
1483-1492 (with a short epilogue in 1519) London, Wales, Scotland, France, Holy Land, Egypt, with Crete in there somewhere.

It's a book that does a what-if Edward V had been allowed to live and rule . . . and been in good health.

rihannsu

Mrs. Bruce Wayne
Registered
Reaction score
I have a romance set in WWI and a time travel that takes place in the 1880s.

When I get some of this stuff finished, I want to take a crack at Colonial US.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Non fiction: New York City 1900-1930. Can anyone recommend some good books to start my research?

Zara Ravenwood

Registered
Reaction score
In the planning stages: Murder Mystery Set in the First Temple Period of Israel. Something like 1000 BCE

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
I'm new round here and I'm not absolutely sure whether my WIP counts as historical or not. Maybe if I'm wrong, someone could point me in the direction of a better forum.

I'm working on a novelisation of an ancient Ugaritic myth. There are both human and divine characters, as in all myths, so there will be elements of the story set in something approximating to 3rd millenium BC Ugarit, but there will also be elements set in the house of the gods and the two will interact.

If you're struggling to get your heads round this, let me put the question another way. Which category would Homer fit into if he were hanging round the Water Cooler? ;)

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new round here and I'm not absolutely sure whether my WIP counts as historical or not. Maybe if I'm wrong, someone could point me in the direction of a better forum.

I'm working on a novelisation of an ancient Ugaritic myth. There are both human and divine characters, as in all myths, so there will be elements of the story set in something approximating to 3rd millenium BC Ugarit, but there will also be elements set in the house of the gods and the two will interact.

If you're struggling to get your heads round this, let me put the question another way. Which category would Homer fit into if he were hanging round the Water Cooler? ;)

I'd put you in historical fiction anf/ fantasy. I have a pretty expansive definition of historical fiction. I'd put Gene Wolfe's Latro books in those categories too. But your book is one case in which, were I querying an agent about it, I would not state a genre. I'd just describe the book and leave classification up to them.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
Well, the good news is that I'm not really planning to approach an agent with it. And if I did, I'd try to write a more scholarly translation of the myth so that would have a different audience again and I'd know which publishers to approach. I just wondered whether it would be okay to discuss it/post snippets here on the forum.

Ned George

Registered
Reaction score
1799-1801, Plymouth (England), Avignon and Cairo

I just read this list, and what romping fun to see all the dates and places that inspire everyone.

I noticed a number of writers focusing on England and France around the Revolutionary/Napoleonic Wars. So many historians suggest that our fascination with this period has grown in recent years because, first, our own time has so many similarities, and second, we know, deep down, that we are finishing what they started.

Not having the energy to study it in that much depth, I'll take their word for it.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Presently: London, 1888

Previously: Ireland/England, 1201; Ulster, 1178; Egypt, 2180 BCE

Last edited: