XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
See, I want to visit specifically because of that...

Oh, I think I'd love a trip there.

It's just... well... everything there seems especially geared towards *killing* you. Other places have poisonous snakes and spiders, to be sure, but in Australia they're all aggressive. They will come into your house and bite you and kill you.

And onto your golf courses.

And into your parks and other public spaces.

Does this happen in other parts of the world? Sure it does. There are mambas in Africa and cobras in India and such. But at least there it's just an animal or two. Unlike Australia, where "it's not just one thing, it's ALL the things in Australia, in ALL the places." Even koalas are apparently right nasty buggers.

And as near as I can tell there is nowhere you can go, no environment, no ecosystem, where there is not something that will kill you. Often painfully. And if there isn't an animal, then it's just the environment itself.

Now, I am almost entirely certain this is irrational over-reaction and paranoia on my part. But every time I convince myself of something like that...

Well, someone comes along with a link like Tiffers.

:eek:

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Ginger Writer. :welcome:

ACE! So nice to see you 'round these parts again. :)

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
It's just... well... everything there seems especially geared towards *killing* you.

Even the trees.

(drive-by post, no time to backread, just got in from work and now have to go off to class, waves hello to everyone, hello to newbie, goodbye for now!)

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
Now, I am almost entirely certain this is irrational over-reaction and paranoia on my part. But every time I convince myself of something like that...

Well, someone comes along with a link like Tiffers.

:eek:

Always happy to help inspire paranoia. *tips hat*

Debio

Back from the land of the dead.
Registered
Reaction score
andbythewayIsoldanotherstory

I have no idea why you would put this in such a small font. I hope your personal reaction is more along the lines of :

:partyguy::banana::PartySmil:e2woo::hooray:
:TheWave::TheWave::TheWave::e2bouncey:e2bear:

Go! Go! Go!

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score

There is indeed much of that going on. :)

I am just somewhat (okay, a lot) uncomfortable with bragging about my own successes, when there are many others here who are just as, if not more, deserving.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, well, I can understand that. I have only one story that is even close to being sent out, so I haven't crossed into "why can't I get anything other than rejections" territory. I'm still in the "Hey, someday I'll make this work :e2bouncey" stage.

In total seriousness though, congratulations, and the important wh words--

Who
What
Where
When?

If I can get hold of it here in Japan. I'd like to check it out.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
Okay. I have not ordered books in a very long time. It is about time I do so. Since I'm now forced into rereading mode or reading series with missing books.

My orders usually consist of two stages.

1. doing my best to fill in the wholes in series or individual favored author collections.

2. trying new stuff.

The second stage is difficult for me since I live in Japan and can't really browse. The bookshelves here have Dan Brown and well, Dan Brown.

Now, a couple of things have been on my mind as I'm planning my order. I have missed a lot of the Urban Fantasy trend since I came to Japan, and Hey, I'm on AW, there are people who have published or know people here who have published. Especially in the above UF category. So, I'll ask...

Give me suggestions of good stuff, stuff you like, stuff that is interesting or whatever. It can be your own, a friend's, someone you know, someone you like, I'm open.

Um. I don't have an ereader of any type, though I am technically proficient enough I could install the software. I just haven't gotten around to it. So, while I prefer an actual physical book at the moment, ebooks will not be ignored.

Also, while I am a 42 year old male with some stereotypical views about the romance genre, I was a English Lit major who thought that most of his fellow lit majors were pretentious jerks who just liked to through around big words to look smart. So, I'll look at Paranormal Romance, too.

Just don't recommend that vampire thing that started with a "T" with a main character "B". My wife bought that, made me read it. It was one of those very rare books that I just put down and couldn't finish. It was not the "vampire" or "romance" that turned me off that book. It was what turns lots AWers off.

I don't want to take over this thread with my question so PMs or the like will work for me too.

Novels, shorts, whatever. I'm good. I have very little stuff that has been published in the last, oh, 20 years. Nearly all of it is older. I'll check to see if I still have an active Good Reads account if anyone is interested or wants to see my collection to get an idea of what I like.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
And :welcome: Ginger!

Hair cut tonight. Tis red, again. The blue patch is purple this time, though.

In other news, at the salon I was reading a romance for the epub for which I edit, and a line made me laugh so hard at one point, I snorted. But in a good way.

Though, reading other folks novels makes me want to work on my own. I think I'll BIC a few hours tomorrow.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Who
What
Where
When?

If I can get hold of it here in Japan. I'd like to check it out.

I have no idea about the When, and probably won't for a few months. The story is called "Adware", and though I can't claim to know squat about the availability of US magazines in Japan, it's a reasonable-sized publication, so you might be able to find it.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
There is indeed much of that going on. :)

I am just somewhat (okay, a lot) uncomfortable with bragging about my own successes, when there are many others here who are just as, if not more, deserving.

Nonsense. as one of those in here who's not having a lot of success with sales, I can honestly state that I want to celebrate with you. so SAY IT ALREADY, so I can enjoy your success, too.

Congratulations!

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Give me suggestions of good stuff, stuff you like, stuff that is interesting or whatever. It can be your own, a friend's, someone you know, someone you like, I'm open.

As to this... I'm not a huge F/UF/PR reader, so others here can weigh in with far greater authority, but I did really like the Rachel Caine Weather Warden series.

My favorite series right now (and possibly of all) is SF, which is Karl Schroeder's Virga series. Can't recommend it strongly enough.

Speaking of which, is there good SF/F coming out of Japan we ought to be keeping our eyes out for? (Aside from Haruki Murakami, of course?)

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I am a big SF reader, too. I have Robert L. Forward's Starquake on my desk right now.

As for Japanese SF, I really need to start looking into that. I'm afraid to try reading it, my Japanese isn't that good. You might have better luck trying to find English translations in the states than I do here. I'll start looking though.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're trying to keep spiders out of parks now? :Wha: Or maybe Bos just bought some aracnicide stock and is lauching his campain to chemically nuke the planet...

andbythewayIsoldanotherstory

:e2woo:

GreenEpic

...because you don't know yourself
Registered
Reaction score
I'm totally getting picked on on Facebook right now!

This guy posted a close-up picture of what appeared to be a boxers fracture in the hand. So I asked him what he punched.

Well apparently it was a close up of his broken foot. So it's been one priceless comment at my expense after another.

I mean come on. They look very similar close up.

I guess I'll keep my stupid questions to myself from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.