The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
How have you not seen any recent stories with greek myth? I mean- they're everywhere. Alex and I and at least one other AWer were in a recent Pandora's Box issue of a mag, and there are plenty others. Seriously, write it. Don't talk yourself out of stuff before you even start. There is always a market for a good read.

Also, best to nanoers! I always say I'm gonna try, then end up sidetracked. But I'm still gonna say it!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck to all NaNoWriMoers!

...Come to think of it, I have not seen any short stories recently with Greek myth in them. I'm guessing it'd be an extremely hard sell.

I've had at least 3 stories published in 2014 that reference Greek mythology in some way or another. Two Pandora's Box stories (as V1c pointed out) and Icarus Falls.

Don't overly concern yourself with what is a "tough sell" -- just write the best story you can and see if it can win over an editor with it.

Except for zombies. There's no good reason to write anymore of those :)

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I sent a story to Crossed Genres in September, and they told me in the confirmation email that if I hadn't heard back by the end of next month (Halloween), I should query them. I checked spam and the reply hasn't gone astray.

They gave me a link to query, but what do I say?

I was thinking something like: Dear Editors, This is a follow-up letter to check on the status of my story, By the Queen's Command, submitted to your magazine in September. Do you have an update on its status? Sincerely, me.

Is that okay? And when should I send it?

Thanks in advance to anyone who might want to help me with this. :)

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
My short stories have really fallen by the wayside at the moment. I'm doing NaNo and editing novels, but I'm going to really focus on resubmitting pieces and either fixing or putting down older ones when the new year (or maybe December) rolls round.

I had a form rejection from Tor.com. It was at 213 days, which everyone else was getting personals at looking at the grinder as forms are down to between 20 and 90 days. I guess I was actually on the 'oops, forgot to reject it' pile. *sigh*

(that said, it had been there for that many days... and 290 or so before that as well since it was originally a lost sub, and it deserved to be formed. Still!)

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, yeah...

One of my pieces has been out for 48 days now, which doesn't sound like a lot, except the magazine it's out to, according to the grinder, has a 2 day median and an 8 day average (it used to be 7 day, but I'm pretty sure I'm the one who skewed it). I'm wondering if it's in the "forgot to reject" pile as well.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I sent a story to Crossed Genres in September, and they told me in the confirmation email that if I hadn't heard back by the end of next month (Halloween), I should query them. I checked spam and the reply hasn't gone astray.

They gave me a link to query, but what do I say?

I was thinking something like: Dear Editors, This is a follow-up letter to check on the status of my story, By the Queen's Command, submitted to your magazine in September. Do you have an update on its status? Sincerely, me.

Is that okay? And when should I send it?

Thanks in advance to anyone who might want to help me with this. :)

I sent them one within two days saying simply 'I didn't get the automated response and want to make sure you received my piece' and they were fine with it. I also thank them for their time and dedication.

I need to write. It's nano man, but my drive isn't there yet.

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
I'm at the end of the detail-checking on my Gothic horror novel.

It seems my alter-ego landed a fun pro gig as a columnist, yet the torture of waiting for a verdict on the first article has extended so long that we've both lost our grasp on reality.

Lightspeed is tempting me back into fiction submission torment.

Still managing to put in a couple hours a week on the novel between client projects in hopes of launching it in December.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Okay so I submitted to a magazine that said they wanted my pseudonym in the email body but I forgot that I have a pseudonym. I mean it's sort of a pseudonym... I'm published with my initials instead of my full first name, which is how it is on the manuscript I sent them. Is this worth emailing them about? I would guess this isn't really that big of a deal but I don't know...

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Okay so I submitted to a magazine that said they wanted my pseudonym in the email body but I forgot that I have a pseudonym. I mean it's sort of a pseudonym... I'm published with my initials instead of my full first name, which is how it is on the manuscript I sent them. Is this worth emailing them about? I would guess this isn't really that big of a deal but I don't know...

If they accept your story, mention it. If they don't, amend the byline on the MS before you send it somewhere else.

Strictly speaking, using a name which has a clear relationship to your real name (e.g. using initials, married women writing under their birth names etc.) is a working name, not a pseudonym.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, all. Hope you don't mind if I grab a seat at the bar. I sent out five short stories on Monday--first ones I've submitted anywhere in several years.

So...now comes the waiting. *Drums fingers on bar.* Wish me luck!

Batspan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Marlys -- Welcome, congrats on the huge leap, and good luck! I started posting here when I was making the same leap you are -- this is a great place for sharing the journey.

While you're waiting, you might check out Middling It, Rejectomancy and Braggage for a preview of what's ahead. And you might as well become addicted to The Grinder for submission tracking and market-watching while you're at it.

Got the columnist gig and am dealing with the be careful-what-you-ask-for fallout. I'm stressed.

Having a lot of growth in my social media accounts. Got back to blogging after neglecting it for a long time. I was pretty down about the results of my 13-month submission adventure -- the blog isn't the success story I hoped for, so I settled for telling the truth.

My finances haven't yet recovered from my fiction orgy, so I don't have the budget I wanted for launching the Gothic horror novel. I'm pushing myself to stick with publishing it next month anyway.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
After a lot of insanity in September/October, I'm starting to settle into a new house and get a steady writing routine in place.

This week I finished up the SuperSecretProject on Monday, then buckled down on a Space Opera I started at the beginning of November while I wait for notes from the agent. So far I have 16k words on the novel and just starting to hit my stride. The goal is to finish the first draft before Christmas.

Aggy, digging in

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
Did a marathon resub session today and sent ten stories back out into the wild, bringing my total number of open subs to 14.

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
Did a marathon resub session today and sent ten stories back out into the wild, bringing my total number of open subs to 14.

Well done! I need to do that too. I wrote a list of stories to resub the other day... but that was as far as I got :)

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Me three.

Trying to get through the final revisions of my novel before the end of the month, then maybe I'll have time to finish up a couple of half-finished shorts I've got kicking around. Kind of a slow year for me for writing, because busy in other ways, but I'd like to try to get a few more things out the door before the year ends.

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
Been doing NaNo, bringing my short-fiction writing almost to a halt. A recent minor rejectolanche has left me with just one sub (41 days at Ap3x).

However, I've had one really strong story nearly finished for a couple of weeks... just couldn't bring myself to write the ending. I finally just put a one-line "and then this happened" summary just to get closure on it and let my wife beta-read; review was very positive. Should have that ready to sub out this weekend. High hopes, as always.

Peace
Ty

Batspan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Good to see everyone's progress.
AC -- happy to see your first blood braggage.
Zanzjan -- I'm right there with you on the final touches on the novel.
Ty -- Wish you well on the Apex sub and new story.

I wrote five drabbles last night, first new fiction in weeks, other than bridge scenes for the Gothic horror novel. Went back to my surrealist days. Hoping to channel something magical tonight.

Last edited:

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
After today's rejection, I sent out another story, so I'm back up to 14 out.

Batspan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Good going, AC.

I wrote two new drabbles yesterday, one torqued traditional fantasy, one contemporary fantasy. Managed to lift out of the grim zone.

Things with work and life have gotten fubar, so the exercise offered some relief. As with the last set, I find my obsessions fall out of the bottle naked.

I've been resurrecting blog posts -- finding a way to connect that time of peak fiction output with the challenges of having to devote most of my writing time to cranking out copy.

I enrolled Animals of London in Kindle Select to try out the lending program. I have the next episode of Vampire Madam in draft.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if any of you folks would be interested, but I make mention of it just in case: over in the Writing Exercises/Flash Fiction Challenge room, where we normally post the week's FFC prompt, there is now a "Coundown to 2015" thread which will give one prompt a day for the month of December.