Middling It

Thecla

Imagine a story
Registered
Reaction score
154 days since submission to T0r.c0m. By the Grinder's stats that's middling, almost exactly. Getting antsy. Good luck to all.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Now that I an trying to send more stuff out, the waiting game is in effect. I should be hearing from a few places soon. I'm really at a point where I NEED an acceptance. I've been at this for years. Just one little acceptance would really help me to keep moving forward. Fingers crossed for all of us.

CL_Hilbert

Registered
Reaction score
Website
clhilbert.wordpress.com
I've been on the editor's desk at Unc@nny for 20+ days now (30+ total) and another one of my stories is at 30+ days with F@nt@st1c Stories. Both places usually have <10 day turnarounds.

All this silence is deafening.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
CL, same with me, except at a different market and at this point it's been nearly 50 days... @_____________@

I am wondering if they forgot about me.

CL_Hilbert

Registered
Reaction score
Website
clhilbert.wordpress.com
I always hate to query when that happens. I feel like on the one hand, yeah, maybe they did forget and this is a helpful reminder to go track down a lost piece.

On the other hand, maybe it was still under consideration and my asking after it invoked the old editors' adage: "If you need an answer now, then no."

Logically, I know that querying probably doesn't jinx it, but I can't help my superstitions.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Well they say to query after 60 days, so I still have a bit longer to wait... if they say to query after a certain amount of time, that's when I should query, right?

Dani79

Registered
Reaction score
Website
daniellengales.com
I've been on the editor's desk at Unc@nny for 20+ days now (30+ total) and another one of my stories is at 30+ days with F@nt@st1c Stories. Both places usually have <10 day turnarounds.

All this silence is deafening.

Did you get a bump notice from Unc@nny? My sub with them is sitting at 25 days now, but I've not heard anything since the initial acknowledgement.

Also if it helps, my most recent sub to F@nt@st1c Stories came back after 34 days with a "you got past the first reader" note, so that's about the time frame for it I guess.

CL_Hilbert

Registered
Reaction score
Website
clhilbert.wordpress.com
Did you get a bump notice from Unc@nny? My sub with them is sitting at 25 days now, but I've not heard anything since the initial acknowledgement.

Also if it helps, my most recent sub to F@nt@st1c Stories came back after 34 days with a "you got past the first reader" note, so that's about the time frame for it I guess.

I got a bump note at Uncanny after about 10 days that said I was sent up to the editor. I got a form r from them yesterday, though, so I guess I'm just crossing my fingers for F@ant@st1c now.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
That sucks :/

I'm still waiting on Pl@sma Fr3qu3ncy. It's been 51 days since I submitted :/

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
Apex's managing editor, Lesley Connor, posted on their blog that some number of submissions were lost track of in the switch from email to Submittable.

I queried; she quickly tracked it down. Apparently, the first reader my piece was assigned to is no longer with them, so it's been re-assigned (and I "should get a response soon").

Very glad it wasn't just a situation where the R got lost in the mail, though bummed I hadn't made it through to a second reading after all.

Very grateful for Ms. Connor's proactiveness and professionalism in handling all this.

Peace
Ty

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
...and now I just got the bump letter. Officially middling it!

Peace
Ty

CL_Hilbert

Registered
Reaction score
Website
clhilbert.wordpress.com
Still waiting along at WotF. Results were supposed to be out two weeks ago, but then, I think it's a tradition for them to say "We're almost done, expect results within X days" and then send out results three weeks later than X. Their understanding of time differs from ours. Either that or they're actually reading subs in an alternate reality where time runs differently. ;)

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Still waiting along at WotF. Results were supposed to be out two weeks ago, but then, I think it's a tradition for them to say "We're almost done, expect results within X days" and then send out results three weeks later than X. Their understanding of time differs from ours. Either that or they're actually reading subs in an alternate reality where time runs differently. ;)

A few people have reported HMs on the WotF forum this morning. My inbox has nothing from them.

Congrats on the bumps!

CL_Hilbert

Registered
Reaction score
Website
clhilbert.wordpress.com
A few people have reported HMs on the WotF forum this morning. My inbox has nothing from them.

Congrats on the bumps!

I saw! (I lurk on the WotF forum.) I haven't gotten a call or email yet either, but I sort of think there are too many people remaining in the queue for everyone to be HM or above. There's probably another straight up rejected wave yet to come.

I still check my answering machine every day though. ;)

DarkSongofErrin

Registered
Reaction score
A rejection from Aurealis this morning, but I think this one may be middling it for me as it is by far the most positive rejection I've had. But still I'm not sure where to go with this story now.