Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
Basically, what would you think of a book or story that combines different horror aspects? Not specifically a 'vs' although that would be the most basic version. Things like dealing with an alien invasion, and then with a psychotic killer who decides he might as well take advantage of the situation and go on murder spree.

Is cross-sub-genre pushing things a bit much?

Specifically, I have an idea for a story that delves into some of the more obscure alien mythology. The average person would probably read the story and scoff a bit, but it is according to actual things that people have said and reported.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's akin to any other juggling act: it can work, it just has to be executed well.

There are times when an isolated horror villain has an agenda outside of the grand scheme (the psychotic, abusive husband in It, for example) and who has some of the story devoted to their actions. But I don't think I would qualify something like that as "crossing sub-genres." I can't think of an example off the top of my head right now of a sub-genre horror mashup, but I'm sure such stories exist.

Galumph_Triumph

Registered
Reaction score
If you can create a believable dystopian world in which an alien invasion has set the setting, and then you focus on a serial killer whose work is somewhat influenced by this predicament, fine. It can work. But don't try to write a book about an alien invasion and a simultaneous murder spree. If they're super unrelated, the book won't be cohesive, and people won't slip into it.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
I'm honestly not sure why I decided to be so vague when I first posted this. So, here's the thing.

In the deeper bits of Alien mythology, the Greys are the workers and scientists employed by the Reptilian. Their goal in abducting, studying, and experimenting on humans is to discover where our souls come from and why we have them and they don't.

(Seriously, I'm not the one making that up.)

The thing that occurred to me, is that what if, in addition to studying live humans, they went and investigated places that were reported to be badly haunted? Like an abandoned prison or TB ward/asylum?

So the story basically becomes Aliens investigating a haunted facility, and themselves pursued by a military unit wanting to know what the heck they're up to.

Is that too much?

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
:Shrug: It doesn't sound like too much to me, Shaun. But like Jcomp said, it's all in how it's executed. I don't think there is anything stopping you from writing it and seeing where it goes. It sounds rather interesting to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.