My book cover coming together

writerinthenorth

Registered
Reaction score
Hope this is the right place for this thread.

I'm sure you'll agree that watching the various stages of the cover art emerging is an exciting phase as your book gets ready for publication. That's where I am now as my third novel 'As Close As You Are To Me' nears launch. I've put a couple of images up in my blog together with the brief I gave to artist Peter Fussey, and have made some comments on his work in progress. I'd be delighted if you'd take a look too and let me know what you think. http://writerinthenorth.blogspot.co.uk/ Thanks

CrystalCierlak

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crystalcierlak.com
To me the cover so far tells me nothing about what kind of story it represents. The artistic styling of the drawing makes me think of covers of middle grade books from when I was a child (in the 80's, if that helps). I don't know if she's a Swedish Buffy the Vampire Slayer waiting for a vampire to rise out of that fountain or if she's looking at the fountain like she's regretting dropping her last quarter into it.

For me it's not a cover that I would give a second glance at. But after reading the brief bio in the sidebar of your site it seems rather obvious you have a fan base, so I would naturally assume that your readers, being established fans of you work, would not have the same issue. The cover seems more in line with what you've previously commissioned for "Mr. Stephenson's Regret" which itself seems like some kind of historical piece (possibly involving romance? I'm not sure). Though it seems a drastic departure from "11:59" (which I had to "Look Inside" of to see the cover properly - it's very dark).

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
writerinthenorth, if you want a critique of your book cover then General Publishing Discussions isn't the best place. I'll move this thread to our Art and Design room, but it might get bounced out again if the room mods there think it should be somewhere else.

Meanwhile, here's a more accurate link to your book cover reveal.

writerinthenorth

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments Crystal. I guess when read with the back cover blurb the image makes more sense. Have you seen the completed cover which is now up on my blog site writerinthenorth.blogspot.co.uk ?

I think your own cover is striking, by the way, very bold. It certainly screams erotica.

Last edited: