LeBron James going to Miami

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Very good series. Was hoping for a 7th game since... you know... the NBA season might not even exist next year, but it is what it is. The Mavs came through and got buckets when they needed to. Execution over talent.

Last edited:

ladyleeona

fluently sarcastic grandma offender
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it execution over talent; more like role-players stepping up over flash. JMO.

Regardless of how I feel about the Heat, I'm a little surprised over their collapse. In my mind, the lack of heart was appalling.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it execution over talent; more like role-players stepping up over flash. JMO.

Well... same thing really. I mean the Heat had the superior talent when it came down to crunch time, 5 on 5 basketball. Two of the top 5 players on the planet, a quality All-Star in Bosh (who actually ended up being the most consistent and reliable of the "big three" tonight), and solid role players in Haslem and Mike Miller. Even Mario Chalmers stepped up during stretches early in the series. In the clutch though, Lebron had turnovers, Wade dribbled one off of his foot for no reason at all, Chalmers totally botched a two-on-one break, so on and so forth. They went through several stretches where they over-passed like they were all too shook to shoot. They were apparently trying to be "unselfish" but it really just looked like they were scared to be the guy who misses in a close game. They repeatedly didn't run anything resembling a called play. Defensively, they blew assignments and gave the Mavs open looks all over the place and couldn't grab a defensive rebound when they needed to mount a comeback. That doesn't even go into all the missed free throws.

Dallas role players were able to shine because they executed the offense and utilized the guys properly. Solid coaching and good execution.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Dallas role players were able to shine because they executed the offense and utilized the guys properly. Solid coaching and good execution.
There's a lot to be said for being a veteran team. The Mav's have been together for a while. Miami's big three are all-world -- but it's the first year they played together. That's why they stumbled in the beginning of the season.

And that's why, at crunch time, they didn't execute -- not lack of heart, certainly not lack of talent, not even choking under pressure. They just didn't have the time under their belts. Just lost to a team, and that's the operative word. I wouldn't want to bet against the Heat next year.

I was glad not to see a game seven. It's awfully hard to win a game seven on the road, no matter what.

ladyleeona

fluently sarcastic grandma offender
Registered
Reaction score
Defensively, they blew assignments and gave the Mavs open looks all over the place and couldn't grab a defensive rebound when they needed to mount a comeback.

Which is mainly what I'm referring to as 'flash'. You don't have to be super talented to block out for a rebound, you just have to want the damn ball enough to get your ass in the paint. There were several times tonight when the key was packed with blue jerseys, offensively and defensively, and not a heat rebounder anywhere in the vicinity. That's a failure in the want-to department.

Defensively, Miami sucked it up, but I don't feel like the failing can be attributed to being a newly put together team--they've played nearly a hundred games together. Dallas is a good offensive team, but seriously. Lots of time the Heat's help D didn't even friggin' exist. Either we've got a failure in the fundamental department, or the want-to department. It's one or the other, because there's no lack of talent on that team. (Or you say Dallas is just that much better, which is not something I personally believe.)

But then, I have trouble finding positives (beyond DWade's general on-court badassness, that is) in a team whose stars talk crap in pregame, and then can't hack it when comes down to it. But maybe that's just me.

Regardless, it was a very entertaining series. Better than the last few I've watched.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Meh. Miami "hacked it" all the way to the finals. And most games could have gone either way, so they hardly collapsed on the court. And I'm not sure how much Miami talks, beyond anyone else. The storyline--into the future--is that Miami is the Evil Empire, and that's what we're gonna hear, one way way or the other.

But as to the series, Dallas played better and won. Simple, at the end of the day. But it was fun. Congrats to the Mavs.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Which is mainly what I'm referring to as 'flash'. You don't have to be super talented to block out for a rebound, you just have to want the damn ball enough to get your ass in the paint. There were several times tonight when the key was packed with blue jerseys, offensively and defensively, and not a heat rebounder anywhere in the vicinity. That's a failure in the want-to department.

Defensively, Miami sucked it up, but I don't feel like the failing can be attributed to being a newly put together team--they've played nearly a hundred games together. Dallas is a good offensive team, but seriously. Lots of time the Heat's help D didn't even friggin' exist. Either we've got a failure in the fundamental department, or the want-to department. It's one or the other, because there's no lack of talent on that team. (Or you say Dallas is just that much better, which is not something I personally believe.)

But then, I have trouble finding positives (beyond DWade's general on-court badassness, that is) in a team whose stars talk crap in pregame, and then can't hack it when comes down to it. But maybe that's just me.

Regardless, it was a very entertaining series. Better than the last few I've watched.

As a team, Dallas is just flat better in every way.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
The times they are a-changin', eh?

Miami in five and last night was a walkover. Scoring for the Heat was spread out, with six players in double figures. James was the star, no doubt, but Bosh, Wade, Chalmers and especially Miller were key.

Now, that's two years at Miami two trips to the Finals, and one ring.

But as I said a year ago, they are still the Evil Empire. Tough to bitch about their talent and toughness now, though...

:D

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was glad to see Lebron get a ring. From game 4 in Indiana onward he owned these playoffs.

I'm hoping... hoping that the story can move on from hating to Lebron to appreciating how great the NBA is right now. Powherhouse team in the east, powerhouse team out west (OKC is young, a couple years and they'll be stomping on everyone if they can keep that core together). Potential powerhouses lurking about (although the East is Miami's to own for the immediate future unless Chicago can give Rose a legitimate second option... that Boozer contract is a hideous albatross around their necks though). The NBA works so much better when it's top-heavy. Parity schmarity, I love the shape of the Association right now, Stern's mismanagement of PR controversises notwithstanding.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That may be a big "if," unfortunately.

But this year's "Dream Team" might actually be one again. Finally.

I'm hoping OKC can keep Harden and Ibaka. If they have to choose one or the other... I think I'd pick Ibaka and just make him go work with Olajuwon for a summer like everyone does when they need to develop a post game. Harden's still young and talented, but his game alongside Durant and Westbrook's is redundant. Then perhaps consider bringing in a solid, affordable point guard and having him split time with Westbrook. I love Russell's game, but he probably shouldn't be bringing the rock down the court every time he's in the game.

But you're right about Miami. They just need to hit the refresh button. I didn't understand it at all this year when people like John Barry were saying Chicago was the team to beat going into the post-season, before Rose's injury. They're a great looking regular season team, but given that we're in the midst of a resurgence of super-teams, you can't really contend with Rose (a point guard no less) as your only reliable scoring option. That's the whole reason Lebron left Cleveland. You need help. The East is Miami's to dominate so long as they stay healthy season to season, unless Chicago brings in a legitimate 2nd option (Rip Hamilton? Seriously?), or Indiana does something halfway miraculous (bring in Eric Gordon, hope Roy Hibbert has an astronomical improvement, hope Granger reverts to his 2008 self, hope Tanya Harding's husband hops out of the shadows and kneecaps Lebron in a crucial playoff game). Boston's probably going to bottom out, likewise Orlando, the Knicks are hopeless, Philly and Atlanta are pretenders. Granted, it's a deep draft, so some teams might make some significant leaps depending on who they pick, but I don't see any reason for Miami to not make the Finals for the next two-to-four years straight.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
You're doomed. My brackets are screwed. I can concentrate now and end this travesty.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really hoping the streak lasts long enough to get to San Antonio. That's my Finals preview anyway, and I think it'll give the Spurs some good national exposure so they can hopefully start shaking that "boring" label that's been erroneous for the last three years now.