Well, I finally got up the nerve to submit ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That was so hard. It's my first...

Even after five crits and editing and checking I waited two weeks before I was mentally ready. It's funny now that is done I feel so silly.

How was the first time for you?

Not the final outcome but just the first time you submitted something to the world.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I spent the entire evening double, triple, and quadruple checking everything, terrified that I'd hit the submit button and notice a typo in the cover letter, I'd attached the wrong draft, that my draft was the wrong format... literally hours of checking every minutia.

Good news is, it gets easier. :) The first one's terrifying, but after that, it's all downhill. Best of luck on your sub!

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OH wow! Me too. I was especially nervous I misspelled my own name. I'm glad to hear it gets easier!

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Southpaw! That's fantastic news! :hooray:

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, but I'm jealous too! Been trying to crack flash fiction (well, any kind of short fiction) for six months now. Details, man! Who bought it?

wotcherH

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Southpaw! That is crazy awesome, lucky you! All that hard work payed off :)

Katitas

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations to you!! I submitted two flash fiction stories 3 weeks ago and am still waiting to hear... I have enjoyed the waiting because it isn't yet a "no thank you"

Cmalone

Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what I write, I obsessively double and triple read and re-read out loud. I notice I auto correct after spending a lot of one on one time with a piece, so stepping back for several days is also helpful by allowing me to "forget" what I wrote.

Sometimes flash can be a relief for me. Longer works can be very discouraging after a while.

Last edited:

TillysMom

Registered
Reaction score
I had a short piece published in Aurora Wolf Magazine (lovely editors there) and one in Saturday Night Reader (Mine was in their e-zine the month before they folded) which made me sad, but was glad to be a part of it.
I also had two flash pieces in Devolution Z, the Zombie Magazine, which is still going strong I believe.
Best place to find markets I think is The Submission Grinder, which is free online.
I love writing flash, as you're in and you're out and every word has to count. Surgical strike writing!

SandySimonton

Registered
Reaction score
I dreaded the response, and when I was turned down I was really bummed out, but then I read what I wrote and cursed myself for not spending enough time on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.