Dear colleagues, can an alien get published?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quilliam

Banned
Reaction score
I am a European with a finished novel and in the process of querying. I was wondering: when an agent sees that I am at the other side of the world, can he reject me because of that? Also, the hardships of getting published are equal or more severe for someone like me?
Thank you in advance for your time.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Damn, I was hoping that AW was making First Contact.

Quilliam

Banned
Reaction score
Don't make me edit my title. I like it. It's catchy. :D

Quilliam

Banned
Reaction score
The most correct answer is: it depends.

If you create a manuscript that is a master piece with obvious sales potential your origin shouldn't factor too much in the decision of whether or not to offer you a publishing deal. You will of course have to get your foot in the door and get your manuscript read by the right people in order for this to happen but if you find a good agent* to represent your work you shouldn't be at a disadvantage over native writers submitting their work.

*Yes you will need to be represented by a literary agent. All of the 'Big' American publishing houses only accept manuscripts via established agencies and don't consider individual submissions direct from the authors.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am a European with a finished novel and in the process of querying. I was wondering: when an agent sees that I am at the other side of the world, can he reject me because of that? Also, the hardships of getting published are equal or more severe for someone like me?
Nah, shouldn't make a darned bit of difference. A good ms is a good ms.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
My agent is roughly 5000 miles away, on another continent.

No, it makes no difference. The important part is "book they think they can sell"

The only downside is, as far as I can tell, getting emails in the middle of the night, and when I reply it's the middle of the night for him :D

DCVermillion

DC Vermillion
Registered
Reaction score

Oh... You meant foriegn national... ...oh...

Oh gosh...

As a scifi writer, I was hoping you were something entirely different....

:poke:

Are you SURE you're from Europe?

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I understand that Brandon Sanderson is actually a Vulcan, and he's had no problem.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Add me to the list of people mildly disappointed we're not experiencing The Fifth Wave.

I agree with all of the above, but if you're within closer reach to the UK than the US (France, Spain, or the Netherlands for example) you might be better off querying there first. It'll make it easier if you ever want to meet your agent in the flesh!

Paramite Pie

Registered
Reaction score
Just remember to use US English spellings if your looking for US publication. But for me there will always be a 'u' in 'colour' no matter what our New World friends say.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.