Silence of the Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonchild

I write fluff and that's OK.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, my inbox has been a sad, empty place for about a week. Now I'm finally resigned to the fact that it will remain thus until the New Year. (But, hey, at least I got to use 'thus' in a regular sentence!:D).

And yet, somehow I'm unable to help myself and I insist on checking the damn thing at least once a day. The kicker is that, holiday season or not, I know it's too early to hear from anyone with requested material at this point. And yet, I keep checking that stupid inbox and having bouts of 'this can't be a good sign!' panicky moments--which I know are pointless and completely stupid.

I blame it on two silly factors:

1) Agent Speedy has a reputation of getting back to people super quickly (hence the oh-so-clever nickname) and she did request a partial within a couple of days and a full from that partial about a week later. I know (through the magic of the Internet) that she's been busy reading new manuscripts from her actual clients, plus holiday season and all... So rationally, I realize it's pointless to panic or obsess--but I'm so goshdarn good at it!:Headbang:

2) Agent Enthused was, well, so enthused when she replied to my query and partial to request a full, she even said she'd get right on it when she wrote back to acknowledge receipt. That was about a week ago. Again, I know she's busy. I know 'tis the season and blah blah blah... And I know she's got her actual clients to look after and whatnot. And yet, I can't help checking that damn inbox!!!

You know what I need? I need to self-exclude from Internet usage for the remainder of 2014. That's the only thing that's going to cure this insane obsession.

Thanks for listening and have a merry Christmas, happy Hannukah, awesome Solstice and fantastic fill-in-the-blank winter holiday! :D Be happy in whichever way you celebrate, and may 2015 bring us all good news and success! :hi:

~ Moon

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
;)
Good thoughts your way.

Thanks for listening and have a merry Christmas, happy Hannukah, awesome Solstice and fantastic fill-in-the-blank winter holiday! :D Be happy in whichever way you celebrate, and may 2015 bring us all good news and success! :hi:

~ Moon

Absofreakinlutely!

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck in the new year. Of course, once you do get an agent, you'll just move on to the even more nail biting round of submission to publishers.

Girding my loins for that part in the new year.

There you gave me the excuse to use "girding my loins" and it wasn't even a double entendre this time.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Hang in there! :) But, yes, it's a quiet time.

My agent is already out of the office until January (though she may still be working and reading, not sure). I'm not expecting to hear from my editor with notes until early next year, either.

Which makes this a great time to work on WIPs, catch up with reading and research, exercise, make cookies, and drink too much strawberry-infused bourbon! (Um, that last one was me at the holiday office party last night.)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
There is no cure for constantly checking your e-mail except moving into the wilderness, and taking nothing with you that has internet access.

On the other hand, I use an automatic e-mail checker, and when my business account receives a new message, it lets me know. Any message in that account is business related, so I want to see it. But I don't have to constantly check because of the automatic notification. No notification, no e-mail.

DonAtreides

Rooting for the villain
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck! I don't imagine many editors/agents are working over the holiday so you should probably settle in for a long winter's night. I feel your pain though, I'm the most impatient person I know.

Incidentally, it should be "thusly" not "thus" as it's an adverb modifying "will remain".

Now I'm finally resigned to the fact that it will remain thus until the New Year. (But, hey, at least I got to use 'thus' in a regular sentence!:D).

Last edited:

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
"Thus" is itself an adverb meaning "in this way," and "thusly" is not a word, though according to Wiktionary, it has become acceptable in common usage. The copy editor in me refuses to accept that.

DonAtreides

Rooting for the villain
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! That's too funny - I've been duped!

Etymology
thus +‎ -ly, dating from the 19th century, seemingly coined by educated writers to make fun of uneducated persons trying to sound genteel,[1] with a false inference that thus is not an adverb.

I stand corrected! :)

Maramoser

much writing. very books
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marafitzgerald.blogspot.com
I'm in the same boat. I actually know several people who got rejections on fulls this week, so I was super nervous until Friday. But I think we're in the clear now. No more bad news until 2015! :D

Using the time in between holiday celebrations to immerse myself in a new WIP, so the rejections won't bother me. Maybe.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The thing that made me calm down (relatively) for e-mails was to have my author e-mail account on my phone. I would freak out when I got the e-mail ding, of course, but it meant that I didn't have to constantly be checking (or thinking about checking) because it checked regularly itself and let me know if I got one.

Whimsigirl

wishin' and hopin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethlimbooks.com
I'm away for the holidays with family, so that's helped me with my email obsession. Good luck to you all and Happy New Year!

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat too. But I really cut down on checking emails. I have a notification too (sometimes even still check since there's been times it didn't work and I had an email waiting for me) But it's the weekend....and the weekend before the big holidays roll in so, it would be a miracle if I heard something (preferably good news.)

Doing the same, working on my current WIP. I am going to officially submit it to one of my publishers for the first time. If that doesn't work then I have a brand new ms. to submit with. But I'm worried about it and my editor doesn't even have it yet. haha

Happy Holidays to everyone! Here here on the good news for 2015. Thank you for the kind thoughts, Moon. Good luck to you.

Moonchild

I write fluff and that's OK.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the perspective, tips and good wishes, everybody! :) Mr. Moon, the Lab and I will be going away for a few days to visit family, so that should help keep the OCD in check. In theory, anyway!:Shrug:

Good luck and happy holidays! :hi:

Cochinay

Registered
Reaction score
Ditto to all. Best of luck and good fortune in 2015. Writing the perfect query letter and getting the attention of the right agent is quite a challenge and I can only admire and envy those who succeed.

I sometimes wonder if it's really true that great novels were passed over by hundreds of agents, or if that is more a report somewhat exaggerated to give us all hope. I like the report, quite a lot.

Emmet Cameron

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, my agent sent an R&R I've been working on for months back to the editor who requested it just in time for the December stillness. I feel the feels.

bertrigby

Dysfunctional dystopian
Registered
Reaction score
I sent a few queries out on the last day of Nov hoping that I might hear something before the holidays, but nada. I feel your pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.