Revise & Resubmit Hell

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Three weeks? I remember that time fondly. ;-) Three and a half months over here, and on the second round of my R&R, too. (And the first R&R was about a three month wait on its own.)

But I certainly hope yours won't take that long, haha. Good luck!

FruitTree

Registered
Reaction score
3 1/2 months?? Eek. Here's hoping you get good news soon.

CallMeIshmael, it's nice to have a twin :)

CallMeIshmael

Registered
Reaction score
I bow down ... whoa, 3.5 months. I seriously just sit around, wanting to rip my face off b/c I'm so anxious/nervous.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
I join you in R&R Hell. Back in July I sent in an R&R to Ms. Big Name Agent. Yesterday, her assistant sent me an email to say, "Oh, I'm sorry, but we haven't had a chance to read your revisions yet." Soooo, after two months, back to square one of the waiting game. *sigh*

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, good luck, RedScylla! I'm glad they were honest with you, though. At least now you know where you stand?

FruitTree

Registered
Reaction score
I agree, it's nice of them to update you, Red...but I'm more than a little dismayed about the wait that (if your and Beckstah's experiences are anything to go by) I may have in store! I'd better start working *hard* at distracting myself.

CallMeIshmael

Registered
Reaction score
Well folks ... my R&R did not get an offer (thud, die) but the agent was wonderful and we had a long phone conversation about what direction to take the book in. My head is still spinning, and disappointment is to be expected, but all in all, I think this is good news. (Right???!!!)

Now embarking on 2nd R&R. (thud, die again)

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
Well folks ... my R&R did not get an offer (thud, die) but the agent was wonderful and we had a long phone conversation about what direction to take the book in. My head is still spinning, and disappointment is to be expected, but all in all, I think this is good news. (Right???!!!)

Now embarking on 2nd R&R. (thud, die again)

OMG. You just gave me the chills. I have nightmares about this scenario. Because on the one hand, I know someone who snagged the agent after like three or four rounds of R&R. On the other hand, I'm soooo opposed to doing extensive revisions unless the agent has agreed to rep the book.

I'm terrified that Ms. Big Name Agent will come back with another round of revisions and I'll have to decide ... do the work with no offer or cut my losses and move on to my next batch of queries.

How are you doing? Do you think the R&R notes are spot-on?

FruitTree

Registered
Reaction score
CallMeIshmael, it *definitely* seems like good news to me! I'm echoing Red's question, though: do you think the notes are spot-on?

I'm still waiting. Hohum.

CallMeIshmael

Registered
Reaction score
I do think the notes are good! Truthfully, after sending out my R&R, I started having doubts re: my ms. This character is a little too ... and the climax needs a little something ... and this and that and and and!

It was good to pick her brain and bounce ideas back and forth with someone who is "in the biz." I'm taking most of her suggestions and fixing up the ms before re-submitting to her and submitting a first-time partial to another agent.

I'm a lot more relaxed than I thought I would be, lol. Probably because I feel like I have a 2nd chance (or is this 3rd by now ...) and as long as I'm working, my brain can't spin in negative/face-ripping directions. Talk to me post-R&R while I'm in waiting hell.

My fingers are still crossed for you guys! No doubt y'all get offers! (And then come visit me here from time to time, k?)

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Best of luck, CallMeIshmael! It sounds like a good sign to me!

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
how is everyone doing?

I'm still on with my R&R (month 9 I think?) and am now rewriting heavily this novel. o_O Hopefully the agent likes it. hopefully someone other than me likes it.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Joining this group. How is everyone? I'm embarking (well, midway into) on a second R&R. I was gutted when the first R&R didn't get an offer, but really excited to get a third chance to make the story what it should be.

Am I the only person that finds a second R&R harder? Or maybe it's just this one? In part I think it's because I'm terrified that my second R&R won't pan out, either. But I'm also just so pleased that the agent has been so helpful and kind about my revisions.

I'm near the end of my querying list, so I don't know how much a stronger better manuscript will help me on that front. (I'm not querying right now while I do the R&R.)

Anyway. That's my rant.

mayqueen

Registered
Reaction score
Any updates, y'all? :) Hope there's good news out there! I just sent back my second R&R to the agent. I feel like I've done the best I can do. But who knows. I'm bracing myself for the worst and working on something else.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
My R&R became a regular old R. The sort of R the agent should have sent me to begin with. Her rejection was basically, "I don't think I can sell this to the Big 6." Well, duh, it was never that kind of book and her revision notes weren't going to turn it into that book. So basically she just wasted my time and effort. *sigh*

mayqueen

Registered
Reaction score
That is seriously frustrating. I'm sorry!

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
So sorry Red :( That is soooo darn frustrating! :rant:
:Shrug: Onward & upward.

I just got an e-mail from the Agent who requested revisions asking where my ms was. *blushes* I just rewrote the entire novel with a novel voice, and am hoping to be able to hand it in to her next month.*crosses fingers*

Bogna

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bemaslanka.wordpress.com
Bad news: I got an R&R.

Good news: It is the most detailed R&R that I have ever seen. They sent me an excel file with a point-by-point rating of my MS. PLUS they went through my MS word file and gave me detailed pointers. I am absolutely touched.

mayqueen

Registered
Reaction score
What do y'all think about nudging on R&Rs? Does the standard time for fulls apply (three months)? This agent has been super-responsive to me in the past. I didn't even get a confirmation email. I probably just need to sit on my hands and watch some television. I'm going a little crazy worrying the agent didn't get the revised manuscript and that I've been tearing my hair out over nothing.

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys- I'm baaaack :D I finally finished my revisions (month 11 of this R&R lol), and I'm hoping to get this back to La Agent in a week or two. EEEEP!!!! so nervous

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I'm doing this, but sending chapter chunks to my publisher. I sent four chapters so far and just found out that that chapter Four is headed in the wrong direction. Now I have to scrap it and start over on that chapter. Crap. But...at least I didn't hand in the entire work with the possibility of having to rewrite nearly the whole thing.

mayqueen

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck to both of you!

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I'm joining the group again. Had some R&Rs in the past that didn't work out. This new R&R is from an editor of a super great publisher. I was shocked when she gave me back an in depth critique on my entire ms. She invited me to update her every couple of weeks on it, so I did and she still sounds really interested. I told her I will give it back to her by next month. Three weeks of grueling revisions and now I'm on my second read. I'm actually afraid to give it back because I've been burned on R&Rs before. Mainly from agents.

Anyways, good luck to everyone on their R&Rs. Hope to hear good news soon.