It's not IF but WHO...

Status
Not open for further replies.

zclesa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethburgess.co.uk
OK so I'm new to submitting to agents and just received my first two form rejections back. Two down, 90 left on the list...

I don't feel too bothered by the rejections so far. I'm taking the attitude that I will get my novel published, it's just a case of connecting with the right person. I have faith in my writing, and hope that one of the other eight I have submitted to so far will at least give me feedback. That would be so useful in case there are any adjustments I can make to my pitch or structure to give the book a better chance.

In the meantime, I have started another book and am very excited about it. I think it will be more easily marketable than my first one (I write Lit Fic), so even if the first one can't get my foot in the door, hopefully another book will.

Did you once have this sunny attitude, only to be soured and embittered by the weight of multiple rejections as time went on? ;) Or do you think it's useful to stay positive throughout the process?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nah, I started out bitter and awash in self-loathing.

Maryn, tongue only partly in cheek

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
The key is to keep working on the next project, as you're doing. It will cheer you up to think about how you're going to torture all those rejecting agents by sending them something new before long.

:D

ohheyyrach77

Awesome.
Registered
Reaction score
I was excited about my first rejection. Yes, you read that correctly, excited. It just meant I was actually doing this thing.

My second rejection I was sort of in the middle. My third one came with a pang of disappointment and frustration. And the two following them really sucked.

It didn't take long for me to think I was just a failure and never going to get published etc. We'll see how the seventh rejection makes me feel lol.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Rejection after rejection can really wear you down. But when just one person says, "I love this!" it truly makes all the difference. Like the sun breaking through the clouds.

Then you go on sub, and it's time for more rejection! And second-guessing all the positive feedback you've received so far! A merry-go-round that never ends.

After over 100 queries total on three books, I still don't have a skin as thick as it needs to be. Phaeal has it right, though. Writing well is the best revenge.

Paul Russell

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.PaulRussell.net
I had amazing luck my first go-around. Never published. No agent. Two offers (Random House & Heinemann) for my non-fiction.

Random House won. I 'bought' an agent to negotiate the contract. Became published, which led to my writing a column for a major entertainment outlet.

I had a fiction debut in the wings which targeted my audience.

My agent retired.

Having a solid platform matching my fiction debut, I thought finding a new agent would be moderately easy. 'Easy' vanished after two years of rejections; including one agent replying my platform was too large for them to effectively handle. (The prescription for their view of my career needs to be lowered.)

Rejections rarely become bearable. Ironic that my other career requires me to daily reject the work of artists. But I understand the game. To play well we must have the hide of a rhinoceros and the soul of a child.

Make your next move.

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
It's a cycle. Sometimes I'm all arms stretched shouting "COME AT ME BRO" and other times I'm crying in the corner because "LIFE IS SO UNFAIR."

Querying brings out both the best and worst in you.

sbz314

Registered
Reaction score
I have a similar attitude. While I have faith in my work, I keep my expectations low. Like you, I'm hoping the next rejection might come with feedback. That would be progress.

Finding an agent takes time. It's hard. And we, the people who dare to put ourselves out there, are brave and awesome, and we are the ones who will succeed, rather than those who gave up after one try.

Keep the shiny attitude, friend. It'll do you better than doom and gloom.

Regards,

sbz

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't too bothered by rejections when I was querying, because I only ever expected them. A couple of the close-calls did sting, but they were nothing like being told by a publisher my agent subbed to that although they loved everything about the book, the genre is just dead. Nobody's buying it. Better luck next time. But hey, if I have other books, please submit it to them because they liked my writing.

...sigh.

So I suppose yeah, I started out bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, only to start languishing in the next circle of hell.

zclesa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethburgess.co.uk
Putputt, I think that's the worry for me. I know the writing is good, but is there a place in the market for it? I'm taking Ray Bradbury's advice: write because you love it, because you have to, and enjoy the writing. Eventually there will be a breakthrough. Even if it takes a different book to get it??

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Putputt, I think that's the worry for me. I know the writing is good, but is there a place in the market for it? I'm taking Ray Bradbury's advice: write because you love it, because you have to, and enjoy the writing. Eventually there will be a breakthrough. Even if it takes a different book to get it??

Yes, I agree. The only thing keeping me sane throughout the submissions process is writing the next book. :)

aus10phile

committed plantser
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes I get confused when people talk about rejections what stage they're talking about...rejection of a query by an agent, rejection of an ms by an agent, or rejection of an ms by a publisher.

Rejections on my queries don't bother me anymore, now that I've had a few requests. I'm not worried anymore if I can get an agent to look at it. I'm more worried if the book will work for someone. Rejections on the manuscript put me in a funk for a few days, but then I get over it. But I'm still pretty early in the process, so there's still a lot of opportunity out there.

I imagine if I get to the end of my list with no offers, I will be pretty depressed! But hopefully by that point I'll be deep enough in the book I'm writing now that it will temper the disappointment.

Last edited:

zclesa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethburgess.co.uk
I'm in the UK - at the stage of sending slush, lol.

So for over here, they are rejecting the query letter/synopsis/first 3 chapters of your book - as that is what they tend to ask for in an unsolicited manuscript.

It's tricky to know exactly what's letting you down. Some agents won't read the MS if they don't like your letter. Others will read a little bit anyhow, despite a tepid letter - but stop as soon as something turns them off in the MS. They're looking for reasons to say "no" at the same time as wanting to find exciting new writers.

By the time I get to the end of my list, I'm hoping to have finished my second book ;)

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Not since I've worked in sales. Face-to-face rejection is far worse than rejection my email/snail-mail. ;)

zclesa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethburgess.co.uk
Ok, so an update, and a question.

I now have TEN clearly form rejections and THREE positive and encouraging rejections. I googled the exact wording on the positive ones to check they weren't form, and they weren't.

The positive ones ranged from saying I write well, but they didn't connect with the theme, or that it stood out but they didn't feel strongly enough about it, or wasn't quite right for their list.

I'm looking on the bright side, and even though I haven't been asked for a FULL yet, I'm feeling encouraged although there is a long way to go. It's Lit Fic so I have to expect it won't be as easy as selling something more mainstream.

In the meantime, 21K words done on a more 'sellable' novel. I will keep submitting the first, but I suspect, if I ever make it, it will not be the one that gets me through the door, but will likely be a second or third novel. I think, these days, you really need something that has really commercial prospects to open that door!

Thoughts?

Lonegungrrly

Registered
Reaction score
Just to play devil's advocate, did the personal rejections include details of your actual work, like character names, or direct mentions of themes etc? Coz those above still sound quite form to me.

If they are personal then I think that's a damn good start so well done :)

zclesa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethburgess.co.uk
Haha, so cynical! But so am I which is why I googled them! I googled every single one I received that looked like it might not quite be form, just to check. You'd be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't) how many people have blogs where they post their rejection letters. And yes many form ones sound like they aren't form, but, in fact, are.

I'm pretty sure these ones aren't though - one even sounded like the book had been discussed among the other agents.

Interesting that I'm getting more positive responses after polishing up the book a little. I still think it'll take a 'stronger', more commercial book to break through these days, but there is no harm in sending this one off until I've finished the second. It can only help me get feedback, positive, negative or neutral, and an idea of likely individual agent response times.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
"Commercial" matters, but "commercial" can mean so many things. I read literary fiction, and I still have no idea what would specifically be sellable right now in that genre. Even in the genre where I write, my agent's advice on that really helps. You can get a dose by following agent blogs (in your genre) and Manuscript Wish List.

I would guess that having a strong plot (in addition to great prose) is important. An opening that reaches out and grabs the reader in some way, or that dazzles the reader with your facility with words. (The latter is very, very, very tricky to pull off without overwriting!) Possibly a high concept with a topical angle, but I dunno about that.

In literary, it may also help to have an MFA or have attended prominent writers' conferences or published in print literary journals. All that stuff is pretty meaningless for many writers, but I think there's still an NYC-centered "literary fiction community" that cares about it. That's also why it's vital to be sure whether you're writing lit fic and not, say, mainstream or commercial fiction.

Thirteen rejections doesn't sound like much — unless you haven't sent many queries, or no-response-means-no is even commoner than I thought. Good luck!

TessB

The Boxing Baroness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tessbowery.com
Did you once have this sunny attitude, only to be soured and embittered by the weight of multiple rejections as time went on?

A song that's popular at my day job:

If you're bitter and you're jaded clap your hands,
If you're bitter and you're jaded clap your hands.
If you're exhausted and sadistic and about to go ballistic,

Zeddo

Talk to the hat
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allanjemerson
A song that's popular at my day job:

If you're bitter and you're jaded clap your hands,
If you're exhausted and sadistic and about to go ballistic,

I love this. I must've worked at the same job once upon a time.

zclesa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethburgess.co.uk
Thanks for the tips Fuchsia (you are one of my favourite characters, as it goes!)

I know what I've written isn't utter tosh. When I was in the early stages of working on it, an editor (who is also an author) saw it and said she wished she could write like that. I must look her up actually - I haven't seen her for years, don't even know if she's still in the game. She reads Lit fic but wasn't a Lit Fic editor. But as you indicate, Fuchsia, writing well doesn't necessarily mean you can write something that's 'sellable'. Hence me working on my second book, which I think is much more marketable...

Lol at the other responses. I've still got my sunny attitude so far. It's something I've worked on, so I'm determined to keep it! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.