Combining memoir with history of a rock genre. Good idea?

Charlie Horse

Speaking in metaphors
Registered
Reaction score
Website
imablogginghorse.blogspot.com
First off I'll admit to being a novice at non-fiction writing. My personal body of work all falls into the sci-fi/fantasy novel genre. I do, however, work in academia so I'm not unfamiliar with academic writing. I am also a musician, having played in bands for over forty years.

After the death of one of my oldest and closest band mates, I made the emotional decision that it was time to write a memoir of the band we started back in the 70s. We played original Prog Rock and had a faithful following in the L.A. music scene. Once I started this project, however, it rekindled in me my love of the genre and I decided the memoir needed to include a brief history of progressive rock to give it some context. The brief history has now turned into a project all its own, one I'm thoroughly enjoying, and in my research I haven't found much material dedicated to this subject. So now I'm going to go full out and give it the attention it deserves.

So here's my question: I've thought about combining my memoir with my historical research, either splitting the book into two distinct parts, or moving back and forth between memoir and historical analysis. Is this a good idea? If so, which method seems more interesting? Or, should I just keep the projects separate?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

You can write the history with memoirish sections; that's what I did for my Sikhism book. Doing that can bring life to the pages.

You can write separate books and keep the memoir part out of the history book and vice versa. If that draws you, do it. But it sounds like you might prefer a more integrated approach.

It's entirely possible to write an integrated history/memoir. Some agents like exactly this sort of thing: memoirs that bring to light some moment in history. If you feel moved to go with this, do it.

So, really, what you do is up to you. All approaches are valid.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It sounds like an interesting idea to combine the two, weave them together. It should make for an interesting story.

waysouth

Registered
Reaction score
Having been a rock guitarist in the late sixties and early seventies, thus having a lot of stories, I think making a mix is best. Sort of a chronological listing of what happened, basic details, then the memory in more detail.
There is something to be said for either way. Write what you're comfortable with. Don't - ever - write to a formula. It doesn't work.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Memoirs are history to begin with, nobody remembers their future. Except The Doctor of course.

Pretty much, you're writing a memoir. Explanations of the outside world, as seen through the writer or narrator, are simply part of the memoir.

Jeff