The Holiday Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckatwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Querying writers, I'm interested: Would you rather receive a rejection (on a full manuscript) right before the holidays or right after?

I received a rejection on a full last night from an agent who had the manuscript for 4+ months. To me, it seemed unnecessarily harsh, considering the wait and the lack of usable feedback (and the impending arrival of family who will undoubtedly ask me about manuscripts, etc.). I realize others may feel differently, though.

So what's your opinion: Pre-holiday or post-holiday rejection?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Querying writers, I'm interested: Would you rather receive a rejection (on a full manuscript) right before the holidays or right after?

I received a rejection on a full last night from an agent who had the manuscript for 4+ months. To me, it seemed unnecessarily harsh, considering the wait and the lack of usable feedback (and the impending arrival of family who will undoubtedly ask me about manuscripts, etc.). I realize others may feel differently, though.

You realize everyone doesn't celebrate the same holidays, right? Even people that do, don't celebrate them in the same ways. I doubt it crossed the agent's mind that it'd be harsh - he or she is probably just working through the pile.

I think a lot of people would rather have any decision as soon as possible.

ckatwrite

Registered
Reaction score
You realize everyone doesn't celebrate the same holidays, right? Even people that do, don't celebrate them in the same ways. I doubt it crossed the agent's mind that it'd be harsh - he or she is probably just working through the pile.

I think a lot of people would rather have any decision as soon as possible.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Happy holidays!

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I saw several agents post on Twitter they wouldn't be sending rejections right before/on Christmas.

That said, I'd prefer to know than wait.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd rather know sooner than later, personally.

I don't think they intended to be harsh. Both the wait time and lack of usable feedback don't sound unusual to me; you probably got it now because holiday time can allow some agents to catch up on their work. I wouldn't read any malicious intent into it :D Rejection's not personal.

ckatwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I totally know it wasn't personal. After four months, I already assumed it was a "no."

For me, I would like my formal rejection post-holiday, served with a glass of bubbly.

Lonegungrrly

Registered
Reaction score
The timing is a bit crappy but honestly, 4 months for a full isn't that long. I wouldn't assume anything negative because of that time frame next time !

Last edited:

diana86

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dianaurban.com
I know this is at a different stage, but after receiving a rejection from an editor last Friday, I asked my agent not to send any more rejections until the Monday after New Years. The holidays are the only two-week stretch of the year I get to write without worrying about my day job, and I didn't want to be distracted by bad news.

So, to answer your question, I'd much rather receive rejections of any sort AFTER the holidays. (Or not at all.) :)

EKWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I'd rather get it over with. If an editor/agent has decided to pass, holding out for a "better time" to let me know is pointless. Passes always suck. Always. There is no better time. And honestly, knowing the day before Christmas allows me to indulge in wine/chocolate without attracting suspicion.

Sorry about your R, though. I know how bad that stings. :(

whiporee

Registered
Reaction score
8700 foot above sea level, 1500 miles from the oce
Website
www.abeachday.com
Janet Reid posted that she's sending out a bunch of responses to full today, so she thinks it must be better to wait, I guess. I tend to think of her as a nice person, so she might take it into consideration.

I'd have rather gotten them after because she when they come I can't help but be depressed. Rather do that when I don't have to be cheerful around the kids and family.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There is no good time to get rejections, so for me I'd rather get them as soon as possible. Like, the second after I click "Send". :D

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
There is no good time to get rejections, so for me I'd rather get them as soon as possible. Like, the second after I click "Send". :D

I admit, any R that arrived in less than 24 hours fazed me. It made me imagine (in Technicolor, Oscar-worthy detail) the reader's scorn and dismay on reading my query, followed by hitting of the insta-R button. :D

But seriously, bad news before the holidays sucks, especially on a full, since you're investing more in the request than you would in a query. You could just tell your family, "I've been sending out queries, and some agents have requested full ms., but nothing's panned out yet."

Or even less. Non-writers often understand so little about the querying/publishing process that details just confuse them and lead to more awkward questions.

Case in point: My deal was announced this past summer. Now I have friends asking, "Can I buy your book for the holidays?" It's hard to explain that the ink on the contract's barely dry.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
What difference does it make? A no is a no. But if it had to happen, I'd say right before Christmas. This way, I'd still have Christmas to look forward to.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
agents catch up on reading manuscripts during the holidays and also like to set things in order before the year's end. so don't take the rejection personally. besides yourself, several (possibly even many) others with mss out with this agent received similar. good going on getting the request. g'luck with future ones, sure to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.