Educational Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hello fellow gamers!! I have decided that while I am working on that MMO idea (that's a long way off) I would perhaps like to make educational simulations, especially of the Middle Ages and Tokugawa Japan. Basically I would make it so that the player would choose a role, whether it be peasant, Merchant, princess/prince, king/queen, Knight, stableboy, castle cook, or any other number of options. Then the player would have to live out the life of that role as one would do in the Middle Ages. WHile it would strive for realism and to teach kinds the truth of the times, the goal would also be to have it be fun. It would also answer questions like "What are the duties of a knight?" or "what is the true role of a princess in a patriarchal society?" This is just a simplification of the idea, but I think you get the point. Also, like in the Sims, the player would get to customize their role character.
Anyway, what do you think of the idea? It would be a single player idea. Also I would plan to do it for several periods of time, not just the Middle ages. I would want to do one for ancient China, white men coming to America (pilgrims) and maybe even one that just has to do with Native Americans and their interactions with each other. What do you think? Would these be fun/interesting. Thank you in advance for your opinions!!

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Just to clarify, you have an idea for a simulation game in which the player takes on a role in a historical setting? Sounds interesting. :)

However, it sounds somewhat ambitious. Simulation games, from what I've heard, are...a bit complicated to make. (I've always wanted to make games, too, but it's harder than it looks. Just like many other creative endeavours.)

Do you have any experience in creating games? That is the most important part.
Like with writing, it's easy to come up with ideas, but it's harder to execute them well.

Like writing or drawing and many other things, game-making requires lots of hands-on practicing. Game ideas are restricted by your knowledge of programming and by what assets/resources you have available (and know how to utilize them properly in the first place).

Do some planning. Start small and basic, first. Create a design document. If the game has a story, outline the events and how it would fit into the game. Make a simple, basic game using one option to see if you can execute the basics of the game.

Think about the following (if you haven't already):
Are you programing from scratch, or are you using a game engine?
If you're programming from scratch, what language are you using? (C++/C/Ruby/Java/etc)

If you're using a game engine, do you know what are its limitations, and if so, do you know enough about how to program in its language if you want to go beyonds its limitations?

What about the User Interface? What are the basic controls? What about graphics? Is it going to be 2D or 3D? Is it going to be animated? Is it open-world or closed in stages or sections, etc? Will physics programming be involved, especially if it's 3D?

These are only some questions I would be asking myself off the top of my head. I apologize if you already have a plan in place, but you haven't explained much details about the extent of your plans beyond the seed of an idea.

Regarding the "educational" aspect, are you aiming the game at children? If so, you would have to make sure to focus on making the game fun to play. No one likes to be lectured, and the importance of a game is to engage and entertain. If it can provide some education, then that's just gravy. :)

Anyway, I'm rambling. I like the idea, but I would need to know more to give you (more of) my opinion. :)

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Sounds a bit like The Guild series of games... maybe with a touch of the classic citybuilders (Pharaoh/Children of the Nile, Zeus, Emperor, etc.)

Anyway, as the other poster said, it sound intriguing, but I bet it would be a pain in the tail to actually execute - especially if you include all sorts of potential roles from peasantry to nobility. You might want to study game design and narrow your focus a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.