YouTube Basic Question

AnnaPappenheim

"Quod me alit, me extinguit."
Registered
Reaction score
I don't use YouTube much, so maybe my question is overly obvious, but help would be much appreciated!

I'm wondering what name to use when creating a YouTube channel.

Here's my issue: There's my name and then there's the publishing company's name (not in existence yet, but soon). If I use my name now, can I later either change my name OR link my name to the publishing company's name/channel?

To provide some more info, I'm not looking to post videos at this point (and maybe ever). I just want to be able to leave comments. I've been watching a lot of helpful YouTube videos on self-publishing and related topics and just want to comment.

Any advice would help! Who knows, maybe I'm going about this all wrong…?

AnnaPappenheim

Registered
Reaction score
Use the name of your novel. I have a friend with a channel, and he does not use his name.

Oh, good though! I hadn't thought about that.

We're working on two books though, so I'm not sure which one I'd use. Maybe I should use the publishing company name, even though the LLC will take 6 weeks to go through.

Otherwise, was thinking of using my name, but then changing things once the publishing company is officially formed. Maybe I should email YouTube about if they let you change names or how linking two separate channels together works.

AnnaPappenheim

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I should email YouTube about if they let you change names or how linking two separate channels together works.

Ha, forget *emailing* YouTube… they have only one email address listed on their contact page, and that's for media launches. They have a phone number listed… but that calls Google. Geez! Hard to figure out.

And if I want to post on their community board to ask for help? I must log into a gmail account, thus posting my name.

CetiAlphaVI

Registered
Reaction score
I believe, these days that you can change your name on youtube, but once you set a URL, the URL is permanent. I would make sure the URL is something you are very fond of. Of course the name and URL don't have to match. One of my favorite youtube shows is named "Good Mythical Morning" but the URL is youtube.com/rhettandlink2

AnnaPappenheim

Registered
Reaction score
I believe, these days that you can change your name on youtube, but once you set a URL, the URL is permanent. I would make sure the URL is something you are very fond of. Of course the name and URL don't have to match. One of my favorite youtube shows is named "Good Mythical Morning" but the URL is youtube.com/rhettandlink2

Thank you, that's good to know! I'll do a little research as to what a good URL would be-- something easy to remember and spell, and hopefully catchy at the same time.