More older women are gamers than young men

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Not to mention, there are quite a few AAA games coming to mobile devices these days. What should it matter whether I play Bioshock on a PC or an iPad?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Does playing games like Hidden Object and Time Management count? I belong to a site that creates loads of these and sells them to members. And from what I've seen, the majority of their members are female.

Matt Walker

Registered
Reaction score
As a female, PC/Console gamer, I'm weary of the qualifiers I've seen some people put on the results of this study. It's fine to be surprised by it, but the "How many of them are just playing Candy Crush?" is wearing a little thin for me—mostly because no one's providing any data for those statements, so it just looks like typical sexist assumption. It reminds me of all the other "but" statements when there's evidence women do things.

It's simply because I don't know any girls who play 'console' games, where as I know many guys who do. And culturally I believe it's always been that way - guys have always played video games more than girls (apart from The Sims, apparently). That's the only reason I was asking, no offense intended.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
It's simply because I don't know any girls who play 'console' games, where as I know many guys who do. And culturally I believe it's always been that way - guys have always played video games more than girls (apart from The Sims, apparently). That's the only reason I was asking, no offense intended.

And we're telling you that it's simply not true. We've always been here. From the start. And not the fucking Sims or Candy Crush or Facebook or anything else that's been mentioned in the context of "oh, persons who identify as female must actually be playing these, not real games."

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
I've run into a fair number of female JRPG players, and those are almost always exclusively console or gaming-handheld games in the West.

And anyway, saying "these games count--these games don't" results in a silly no-true-Scotsman kind of argument with hairsplitting and shifting boundaries. Twenty years ago, those cell phone games would have needed the full power of a console behind them, and twenty years from now, you'll be able to play Titanfall or whatever on a phone. It makes no more sense to exclude Candy Crush as "not a real game" than it does to craft a definition that says FPSs are "not real games".

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
The actual reason is that, in the multiplayer, you're still playing as the main character, Arno. Arno is male. Having a female avatar for a male character would make no sense.

So...multiplayer consists of a whole bunch of Arnos running around trying to assassinate each other...? o_O

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
So...multiplayer consists of a whole bunch of Arnos running around trying to assassinate each other...? o_O

Haha I wondered the same thing. :O

Doesn't this thread remind you of "hardcore gamer" verses "casual gamer"? We all try to figure out what qualifies or not. XD

I must admit that I find it difficult to meet a female friend who is as much as a gamer as I am. I had some up north, but down here where I'm a bit lonesome I can't meet anyone. My only good (who is 26 like me) does simply plat Candy Crush.

She'll watch me play Dragon Age, though.

Matt Walker

Registered
Reaction score
And we're telling you that it's simply not true. We've always been here. From the start. And not the fucking Sims or Candy Crush or Facebook or anything else that's been mentioned in the context of "oh, persons who identify as female must actually be playing these, not real games."

Ok, that's fine... glad to be wrong :flag:

heza

Registered
Reaction score

I'm not offended by you, specifically, on a personal level or anything, and this post isn't really at you—I'm just trying to point out a troublesome statement lots of people in my online vicinity are making. These statements seem observational to the people making them, and I'm sure they don't consciously mean any harm... but I feel like the statements are dismissive and serve to shut down the conversation and limit social progress.

People prefer the status quo, and they'll often resist anything that threatens it. That's why it's so hard to get people to believe, for example, that climate change is real, despite the overwhelming scientific evidence and expert opinion about it. Asking a question with an unfounded basis in the sexist status quo is a tactic (conscious or often subconscious) people use to give themselves permission to ignore evidence that goes against what they believe has "always been."

Sometimes, conversations start about women being less intelligent or not belonging in the sciences, and someone will point to a study showing that more and more women are getting higher educations—"But how many are just in fashion and merchandising?" Someone points to a study about women earning engineering degrees—"But how many of those are just industrial engineers?"

Sometimes, police shoot a member of a minority, and before any investigation is launched, someone will ask, "I wonder if he was on drugs..." or "I wonder if he was in a gang...."

These are just musings... they're just innocent questions... just ideas... No one's saying they're true. But they stick. The negative questions people ask each other shade the entire discussion from that point on. No one usually asks, "How many of them were Merit Scholars?" or "I wonder if he volunteered in his community..."

These are also statements that actually show a complete lack of observation. Women gamers exist, but for some reason, we're also somehow magically invisible. We're a myth. We're not "hardcore" enough. We only play Candy Crush. You said you don't know any girls who play console games, and yet, of the people who have responded to this thread, a fair number are women. And they've been listing specific games they play or want to play. You've seen us. Observation should correct the myth, and yet it doesn't.

Alexys said:
And anyway, saying "these games count--these games don't" results in a silly no-true-Scotsman kind of argument with hairsplitting and shifting boundaries. Twenty years ago, those cell phone games would have needed the full power of a console behind them, and twenty years from now, you'll be able to play Titanfall or whatever on a phone. It makes no more sense to exclude Candy Crush as "not a real game" than it does to craft a definition that says FPSs are "not real games".

+1

In addition to be sexist, it's also just elitist BS. Games are games.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I think a lot of this perception wasn't helped at the start of online gaming, when it wasn't always wise to advertise you were female. (still isn't in some places) So the perception was, women don't play, even when they did. They were playing-- they just didn't tell just anyone. Back in the day on WOW, we had a small guild and we offered to take people from a larger guild on UBRS runs on a regular basis to gear up for raids, because it was fun. Fairly unusually at the time, we had a dedicated teamspeak server, so we invited everyone on. People who had been guildmates for years suddenly said "Jeez, I always thought you were a guy!" to their tank...

Because saying you weren't male...well, I had to change servers once due to a stalker, and that wasn't the only trouble I had. But I refused to pretend to be a guy. Compare that to playing Star Wars MMO two years ago, and some guy says some sexist shit in general chat, and I said something in return that identified me as female. "Women don't play games" he said. I made some flip comment about definitely having boobs (prolly, something sarky anyway) and then half of the people in the area pop up and say, yeah, I'm not a guy either.

Though my fave was some nugget playing PVP on WAR. Our side lost and he was going round telling us all how shit we were etc, so me and my mate got a little...sarcastic (he'd actually been the one to cock things up). And he called us "cocksuckers" and I said, "Well, yes. I am. Being a straight female and all. Cock sucking is fun." Cue much hilarity from the older players (several of whom also said they were female)

All of a sudden he went silent and then left the group...

Anyway it;s become a lot less of a problem openly saying you're female on online games, so "suddenly" women are playing more games. I don;t think they are. I think they just feel easier about saying they are.

ETA: ME and a mate used o have quite a bit of fun in say Ironforge etc. He had a female toon, I had a male one and...yeah. We did love to mess with people's heads a bit

Last edited:

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The actual reason is that, in the multiplayer, you're still playing as the main character, Arno. Arno is male. Having a female avatar for a male character would make no sense.

Ah, no. There is no competitive multiplayer in AC anymore. About 1/3 of Unity is designed on replayable co-op missions (up to 4 online players, but can be done with less) instead. Each of the co-op players sees themselves as Arno and their buddies as a standard set of generic male assassins (with traditional ID markers over their heads, as in most multiplayers, IIRC). I think the hoopla was that there were no generic female assassins to opt for, but Ubisoft opted for no options, thus the hoopla. (I think. I don't know, I thought the hoopla was pretty stupid and ignored it.)

AC: Rogue has no mulitplayer or co-op, IIRC.

Personally, I'm glad for that. I hated the competitive MP and players hunting down players. I sucked at it big time and it was seriously UNfun, so I stopped doing it really fast. I'm looking forward to the co-op opportunities in my favorite franchise.

Nogetsune

Registered
Reaction score
Most of my friends who are girls also happen to be gamers. Most of those gamer girls are, in fact, even more "hardcore" then me, if you can even define "hardcore." I've known some of them since middle school, and I'm now a college grad. The second and third most "dedicated/hardcore" gamers I know, are in fact girls, and I know a lot of gamers considering I am one myself and I tend to gravitate to people who share my interests. In fact, if I had to count all the gamers I know, I'd say I know more girl gamers then guy ones, but that's largely because the vast bulk of my social life growing up was on online prose-based RP forums, which tend to have more members that identify as female then male. They also tend to attract a lot of gamers and anime fans due to their content, so you can see how this all adds up.

So in short, girl gamers have existed for years. Heck, they really are not that hard to find if you know where to look. This study doesn't surprise me at all and if anybody wants to say otherwise I will ask you to challenge my ex(who is still a good friend) at any game and laugh as you get your *** handed to you. This whole debate seems rather pointless to me and actually find it rather offensive that people are suggesting many of my good friends don't actually exist or are not "gamer" enough./endrant

ArachnePhobia

Registered
Reaction score
I admit it. I am among those who never beat Battletoads. There have been games here and there that didn't hold my interest to the end, or that I didn't care enough about to get 100% completion in, but to this day, Battletoads remains the only game I've ever bought that I couldn't beat.

*&$#ing Clinger Winger.:cry::rant:

Last edited:

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
How are you guys finding female gamers so easily in your areas? XD

I'm having trouble finding one to befriend. ;_;

I agree with Mr. Flibble. I used to get sexist comments a lot while playing MMOs, like FFXI or whatever. One guy used to send flowers in my online mail (and free stuff lols).

I'm glad nowadays it's more open that yes, girl gamers do definitely exist. It's sad when talking to certain guys online that they can't meet any girl gamers and instantly say that's why I'm cool (then again, I'm having trouble too). It could be the area. :p

Lately, when a girl now plays up to the feeling "I'm a girl and I'm game, that's so new and cool", I kind of facepalm. You shouldn't even have to label yourself as such. Just saying, "I like this, that, play video games, etc." should be enough.

Why do I feel like I'm ranting? O_O

Oops! Sorry.

Edit:
ArachnePhobia said:
I admit it. I am among those who never beat Battletoads.

Despite knowing of Jagar Tharn, I admit I've NEVER played TES: Arena. I have however, gotten interested in it, so I watched Let's Plays or Playthroughs instead. Does that count with my knowledge? :p

Last edited:

Matt Walker

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's just what people assume because that's how it appears. Like that we are currently living through humanity's most violent era when it fact it's the least violent, or that heavier things fall faster than lighter ones even though mass has nothing to do with it. I don't think that's bigotry, it's just misinformation.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
And bigotry thrives on the perpetuation of that misinformation.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
When I played WoW, my guild knew I was female and that was fine. But admitting I also played the Sims as well as 'serious, real' games? Not fine.

I play Candy Crush. I play random flash games probably more than I play RPGs these days just because of how much time I have to spend. I don't think there's anything wrong with that any more than there's anything wrong with being female.

Or basically what Alexys said.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com

No, it's not true.

In the 1980s men and women played video games in equal numbers and advertising was not geared exclusively at the male audience. Women stayed playing console games, but the focus and advertising switched entirely over to the men and boys, ignoring and shunning the women and girls.

No offense, but many women and girls I know do not tell strangers that they play console games or online games in order to to avoid harrassment.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never played Candy Crush. I see no reason to since I see it's a remix of Bejeweled, which I've hit Level 100 (I play it while waiting on the phone and such). Thanks, but no thanks. I don't have a smart phone, so most of those games aren't something I've ever heard of. But The Last of Us and Uncharted (I like my PS3)--games that tell me good stories while challenging my lack of eye-hand coordination--bring those games on.

I wear Assassin's Creed, Halo and Mass Effect T-shirts in public. Every since comment I've gotten is some form of "Nice of you to support your kids' hobbies." Some of them still don't believe me when I get into details of the games, glitches or frustrating bits to get past. Just because I'm an older woman. I can only pity them when we part ways.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
DeleyanLee said:
Every since comment I've gotten is some form of "Nice of you to support your kids' hobbies."

Do parents actually wear shirts to support their kids' hobbies? I can understand wearing shirts that deal with your kids' sports team, or achievements, or whatever. But if your a parent and your kid likes collecting insects and you don't, would you really wear a shirt for that?

So all in all...

Are those people seriously that... I dunno... Weird that they think you wear a Halo t-shirt because of your kids? Da-bleep. XD Seems like they're in denial~

Whenever I wear geeky t-shirts (games, anime, etc.) I get compliments. Usually from men. Probably because I'm 26, and I look much younger. :(

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a mass effect hoodie and most people who recognize it compliment me but one guy assumed I was borrowing my hubby's hoodie. When I think about it I've been a gamer all my life I just didn't have regular access to a console until I got married. But I played my friends Atari when I was a kid and I had a gameboy in HS. My mom is too. She even played some side scrollers on her PC.

I play games mostly with hubs on Xbox. I like RPGs but they are time consuming. I also play silly games on my phone. But so does hubby. And how do you define serious gamer? I mean hubby plays mass effect and dragon age and call of duty but he also plays Peggle and katamari and angry birds and fruit ninja. Like me. (Except I don't play CoD).

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do parents actually wear shirts to support their kids' hobbies? I can understand wearing shirts that deal with your kids' sports team, or achievements, or whatever. But if your a parent and your kid likes collecting insects and you don't, would you really wear a shirt for that?

Actually, yes. A few do. I've met parents with AC shirts (as an example) on and I've commented on them. I got blank stares and a quick, "Oh, I don't play this crap, but I had to get something for standing in line at midnight with my son." It's always been fathers to tell me that, never moms. Go fig.

But this could just be a Pittsburgh thing. Pittsburgh is weird (but I love it).

Are those people seriously that... I dunno... Weird that they think you wear a Halo t-shirt because of your kids? Da-bleep. XD Seems like they're in denial~

That's my point. ;) I'm a grandmother and look like one, so I don't fit the standard view of someone playing console games.

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
Gaming is in my family's blood. My parents, who are not at all the stereotypical gaming type, would go to arcades once in a while in the 70s. In the 80s, we got an Atari. I would play it and after I went to bed, my parents would play Pacman and Deadly Duck.

We later got a Nintendo, Gameboy, and Super Nintendo. My mom played them all. My mom and dad would race in Mario Kart. She was an expert at Tetris.

As my brother and I got older, games slipped away a bit, but we've both always owned a game system of some kind. I owned a Ps2, for example, and he's played them all. My mom has a 3DS.

Lack of funds meant I had to stop with the console, but there's always Steam!

I think maybe the demographic has changed, but not as much as the mainstream press thinks. Gamers of all kinds have always been there. They just haven't been catered to.

Status
Not open for further replies.