The Missiletoe Command Arcade & Slushy Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: to 10 and anyone else who needs them.

I don't have much in the way of family WW2 stories. My grandfather (father's side) was born in 1902, so was within that window of approximately three years (1900ish to 1903ish) to be too young to be called up for WW1 and too old to be called up for WW2.

My other grandfather was a serving soldier and was based in India during the war. However, the only action he saw was a local uprising, which had died down by the time he got there. He was out there with my grandmother and their growing family - my mother (their seventh child) was born in 1942 in Quetta, which was then in India but is now in Pakistan.

It's been a bad week for my childhood, with the passings of both Richard Briers and Bob Godfrey. I've just watched an episode of Roobarb on Youtube in their memories. I've also just heard that Ray Cusick has died. You may not know the name: he was a production designer, working for the BBC in the 60s and 70s. But you will be familiar with at least one example of his design work: back in 1963, he originally designed the Daleks.

Oh and we did Waylander's local village quiz (been running 26 years) on Friday evening and we won. Two bottles of wine here each for a team of four, waiting to be drunk.

Good evening Cantina. Hope everyone is well.

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: to 10 and anyone else who needs them.

I don't have much in the way of family WW2 stories. My grandfather (father's side) was born in 1902, so was within that window of approximately three years (1900ish to 1903ish) to be too young to be called up for WW1 and too old to be called up for WW2.

Interesting. My grandfather was born in 1906 and served at the Battle of the Bulge in the Army, he was also very highly decorated. Hubs father was born in 1910 and he served in Italy, Army, during WW2.

Makes me wonder where the cut off date was for drafting?

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Makes me wonder where the cut off date was for drafting?

I believe in 1939/40 at least the cut-off in the UK was 37. (As per We Are at War, an oral history of those years by five Mass Observation diarists, which I read last year.)

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
One for Fenika: guess which review DVD arrived today? 1920: Battle of Warsaw, that's what - it's out in the UK on 4 March. It's DVD-only (boo) and not 3D (boo again) though.

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
I believe in 1939/40 at least the cut-off in the UK was 37. (As per We Are at War, an oral history of those years by five Mass Observation diarists, which I read last year.)

My grandfather was in the US Army. More later I'm working on my first ever dramatic scene I have a kid to kill off.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
*pets Scrivener*

It's okay, honey, she didn't mean it.

*hugs Scrivener*

Nothing satisfies me like Scrivener. Although from time to time, I go behind her back with OpenOffice when I need my simpler desires sated in a hurry.

But don't tell her I said that. :D

Scrivener is my best friend. Also the best investment I ever made. I just don't plan. Anything. So world building, plot, character background is made up on the go. When I come up with it, I need to write it down somewhere and keep going, scrivener keeps it all organised :D

I burnt the holy maholey out of my quesadillas.... :(

:(

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I plotted a short story. :eek: yes. Me. Plotted.

And by plotted, I mean I wrote 5 note cards for scenes in Scrivener. But that's like 80% more plotting than I ever do and 95% more plotting than I did for my SSSS.

And I wrote a blog post on my main blog about why editing frightens me not.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
*pets Scrivener*

It's okay, honey, she didn't mean it.

*hugs Scrivener*

And here I am still using MS Word and ZenWriter for my writerly needs...

Nothing satisfies me like Scrivener. Although from time to time, I go behind her back with OpenOffice when I need my simpler desires sated in a hurry.

Notepad++ mocks Scrivener, steals Microsoft Word's lunch money, and beats up OOffice...

We're gonna need a pic, er, screenshot of that Champion horse ;)

Now I have the theme tune to Champion The Wonder Horse stuck in my head. *whimpers*

I've also just heard that Ray Cusick has died. You may not know the name: he was a production designer, working for the BBC in the 60s and 70s. But you will be familiar with at least one example of his design work: back in 1963, he originally designed the Daleks.

He did a lot more than that, but yeah - his most outstanding achievement, and a testament to his ability that the basic form hasn't altered all that much in the following decades.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
The idea of writing--or heaven forbid, rewriting, revising, or editing--an MS in Notepad gives me a stomach ache. :scared:

Notepad++ is more powerful than Notepad, and the ability to swap the colors (white text on a black background) is saving my eyes serious strain. Last thing I need is more pain when I am writing.

Good god in heaven, BW..... SHUN THE NON-BELIEVER! SHUUUUN!

:roll:

I'M WATCHING oh wait, sorry, take it off yell mode... I'm watching Storage 24 - a British Sci Fi! :)

But is it any good?

*resists Googling shiny new show*

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got a form reject for my novellette. A form reject. Nary one comment.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Right. Back out the door Warriors Dead must go. I think someone suggested a print Fantasy mag (mag of fantasy and sf?!?). Any others that take nearly 9k stories? I so wanted my story published and available online for free...

One for Fenika: guess which review DVD arrived today? 1920: Battle of Warsaw, that's what - it's out in the UK on 4 March. It's DVD-only (boo) and not 3D (boo again) though.

The 3D was horrible. I refuse to watch movies in 3D after seeing that in theaters :) Maybe a home viewing would be different, but death to 3D.

Your DVD is probably similar to my Polish release with English subs. Theres a nice little booklet built in.

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: Fen.

Good morning, Cantina. Another day of intestinal suffering, because I have to get blood drawn tomorrow and need to have as many antigens in my body as I can manage (as per doctor on call).

I am going to use this day well, though. Work, editing, writing and watching The Tudors.

Last edited:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ouch. I suggest you eat your favorite foods then, because it may be your last go, and the suffering will almost be worth it.

This is shitty advice, but alas.

Meanwhile you could research on the internet and get some books.

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ouch. I suggest you eat your favorite foods then, because it may be your last go, and the suffering will almost be worth it.

This is shitty advice, but alas.

Meanwhile you could research on the internet and get some books.

I think it's pretty good advice :D You're totally right!

*does all three of these things*

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
10, when I'm having a dicky gut day, I stick with plain rice, broth and jelly. Gentle foods. Hope you feel better soon.

It's a bit parky out, innit? I've got the heating on full and a pot of tea, and I'm still wearing three layers. I prefer cold weather to hot weather, for the most part, but this is getting a little bit silly now...

Status
Not open for further replies.