The Missiletoe Command Arcade & Slushy Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
That is actually a rather terrifying step forward - can you imagine the things that go through my head on the average day, and if Abby would want herself subjected to "If I am quick, I can grab the potato off the flame and put it back on the tray without burning myself..." or "It is only a little tear, if I superglue it, my arm will heal up in no time at all."
I'm entirely with you on that. I go to great pains to keep the true depths of weird nonsense rattling around in my head under careful lock and key, and having anyone able to read my thoughts would be horrifying.

Both for them because they'd hear my mind completely unfiltered, and for me because there are lots of things I think about that I don't want anyone to know that I think about.

Andelana

Secret Stick-Figure Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
This is almost identical to the talk I saw back in July. :)

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
In this instance it is probably for the best.

If anyone happens across that comment who knows who Thomas Becket is, I apologize profusely. It isn't my fault my brain is filled with all kinds of weirdness...

See, I hear Thomas Becket, and my brain goes:

Seynt Thomas honour we,
Thorgh whos blod Holy Chyrch ys made fre.

Al Holy Chyrch was bot a thrall
Thorgh kyng and temperal lordys all,
To he was slane in Cristys hall
And set all thing in unite:
Hys deth hath such auctorite.

Complete with medieval melody.

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
Caution: Whining ahead!

Tried a new restaurant for dinner last night. Food was decent (not remarkable, but we were starving). We won't ever go back, though, because despite promises of food being safe for those with gluten allergies, I was up most of the night dealing with ouch! ouch! ouch! pain of a gluten reaction.

Unlike my shellfish allergy which means hospital or epi-pen, the gluten reaction is like getting hit with the flu x15. Just all-over mega body aches. The kind where you can't get comfortable.

This has made me grumpy this morning, though I'm feeling much better physically. :rant:

To cheer myself up, I'm going to jam away on my WIP until it's done. Maybe one more chapter.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, sympathies. I am not a celiac, and I suspect trace contamination may be okay based solely on the amount of clueless screw ups I've noted at resturants. I rarely go out to eat though all in all. It's not worth the burning flu (mine seems to be liver based)

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
Thanks, Fen. I can handle products produced on shared equipment, but restaurants are tricky.

The burning flu is the best description I've read for that experience, too.

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tried a new restaurant for dinner last night. Food was decent (not remarkable, but we were starving). We won't ever go back, though, because despite promises of food being safe for those with gluten allergies, I was up most of the night dealing with ouch! ouch! ouch! pain of a gluten reaction.

Unlike my shellfish allergy which means hospital or epi-pen, the gluten reaction is like getting hit with the flu x15. Just all-over mega body aches. The kind where you can't get comfortable.

This has made me grumpy this morning, though I'm feeling much better physically. :rant:

To cheer myself up, I'm going to jam away on my WIP until it's done. Maybe one more chapter.

I hope you complained :eek: This is not okay!

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks! We got our first bit of actual sunshine today. I have to do all the things I didn't do earlier this week (or rather finish doing them, as I did some this morning). Since this results in me being out in the sun lots, I'll chalk it up to fate.

Yesterday I was so tired I could have actually cried over it, but the six hours of sleep I got last night have made a big difference. Still a little achy and tipsy from the anemia, but it's probably nothing compared to a gluten reaction so I will shut my face.

On an unrelated note: WTF?! Captain Canuck is still in print. Only in trade form of course, but still, why? It's just all kinds of wrong. Mostly because I could create a better representative of Canada with my eyes closed, fingers glued and half my ass missing. Gruh.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2:s to everyone who's feeling crappy. :Hug2:s to anyone else who wants one too because OH MY FRIG the whole not being allowed to hug people who would certainly appreciate it during therapy causes me to like build up some kind of stockpile of affection that is mostly being dispensed on plush animals atm.

Kevin Warwick from Reading University. I saw him speak last July - scary and fascinating and seriously scary. Really awesome applications for people with motor-neurone diseases, though, as the tech advances. We saw videos of his more recent projects - robots controlled with lab-grown brain cells and they're learning. He doesn't have implants any more, though. :)

Wait... They can grow brain cells? That's not only incredible, but would seem to imply that you can grow nerve tissue in a lab as well. I have to google this now.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hope you complained :eek: This is not okay!

I'm too jaded. Unless it is a chain, what's the point. People are stupid and ignorant, they don't care that invisible traces of food cause invisible health symptoms. Not everyone, but enough. I do my best to be polite and communicate the importance but then I just hope for the best. A few times I've only been moderately ill after taking a chance, so it sucks but it's okay.

I won't eat at junky chains for the most part becuase the higher risk isnt worth it. Like when I asked two teens if the GF buns had corn. 'Uh, no.' 'Um, can you please check because it's actually common to have corn flour or something' Sixty seconds later they came back and said yes, there was corn.

Many times I've asked, been told its okay, gotten sick, went back and rechecked and found an allergen. It's a bitch.

/rant

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Captain Canuck
That is awesome, but so damn lame at the same time. That's like naming a British superhero "Union Jack" or something, you'd just never... oh god damn it comics industry!

Well, could be worse. Could have been "Captain Britain", at least they didn't go that... oh for the love of...

It's official. The people who create superheroes are almost as unimaginative a lot when it comes to naming things as pirates are.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Waitaminute, you didn't know about those two in advance? I was under the impression that UJ at least was (or had been) more well-known than Captain Canuck. Partly due to CC being neither Marvel nor DC owned and coming from Canadian creators.

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Waitaminute, you didn't know about those two in advance? I was under the impression that UJ at least was (or had been) more well-known than Captain Canuck. Partly due to CC being neither Marvel nor DC owned and coming from Canadian creators.
I don't follow comics, only comic book film or TV adaptations, and even then it's pretty loose. Before the films started coming out I probably couldn't have even told you who was in the Avengers.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
That is awesome, but so damn lame at the same time. That's like naming a British superhero "Union Jack" or something, you'd just never... oh god damn it comics industry!

Well, could be worse. Could have been "Captain Britain", at least they didn't go that... oh for the love of...

It's official. The people who create superheroes are almost as unimaginative a lot when it comes to naming things as pirates are.

But the lame-ass stuff *did* lead to Zenith. And The Authority (kinda). And a whole bunch of Alan Moore stuff. All in all, I think the pay-off is worth it.

And I get to do ridiculous lists. :D

Before the films started coming out I probably couldn't have even told you who was in the Avengers.

Dr. David Keel, John Steed, Cathy Gale, Emma Peel, Mother, Tara King...

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
I don't follow comics, only comic book film or TV adaptations, and even then it's pretty loose. Before the films started coming out I probably couldn't have even told you who was in the Avengers.

I still cannot tell you who is in the Avengers because I swear half of Marvel is, it's crazy. And that's not even considering the overlap with the X-men. They are to superhero teams what Linkin Park* was to boybands.

* Or insert some ridiculously large boyband with an ever-changing lineup here. What can I say, I live under a rock.

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
But the lame-ass stuff *did* lead to Zenith. And The Authority (kinda). And a whole bunch of Alan Moore stuff. All in all, I think the pay-off is worth it.

Dr. David Keel, John Steed, Cathy Gale, Emma Peel, Mother, Tara King...
The only one of those names I recognise is Alan Moore. And even then, that is only because of Watchmen and V for Vendetta. Mostly V for Vendetta.

I know only the absolute basics of comics and their characters. I might have some more not-as-well-known stuff knocking around in my head, but that I only picked up from watching Atop the 4th Wall.

I still cannot tell you who is in the Avengers because I swear half of Marvel is, it's crazy. And that's not even considering the overlap with the X-men. They are to superhero teams what Linkin Park* was to boybands.
I can tell you is in the Avengers in the Marvel movie-verse. In the comics? Not a hope in Hell. Because yeah, comic book teams tend to change line-ups ridiculously quickly. I swear at least half of the Marvel universe's superheroes have been in some variation of the Avengers at some point by now.

Though from what I understand this problem seems to be shared by most, if not all, large superhero teams. Avengers, X-Men, Justice League, Teen Titans, etc. All have so many members at so many different times that no human being can realistically remember it all.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
All have so many members at so many different times that no human being can realistically remember it all.

The UK reprints were awesome as they edited out a lot of the blah blah blah, and kept most of the fighting intact. They even edited one of the babies out of the Spider-Man series in the mid-80s and condensed two years of US storytelling into about six months here - of course, now that the issues are being reprinted in full, my boredom with superheroes is fully to the fore.

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
's bionics, "Having artificial body parts, esp. electromechanical ones." Robotics is the technology used and cybernetics (or, biomechatronics, but they seem to be related, if not the same field) is the study of the human/bionic hybrid. A human with electro-mechanical parts is a cyborg in scientific terms. Cyberware refers to the parts themselves (devolved into headware and bodyware).

Any use? :)

Looks like I have gobs to learn on this topic!

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
Now, he did say they're controlled by something like a cluster of 35000 cells (and rats have slightly under 2000x more than that, if wikipedia is right and I've done the math OK), so it's a bit like running Pong next to a PC from 10 years ago, but it still bothers me, because there's no knowing how self-aware it is or will become.

It learns not to run into the walls of its run... :Shrug:

Yeah... about that, that could take my book to a whole new level of creepy I hadn't even thought about, until now! :evil Things that make me go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, now my book just became really interesting. Thank you I will check this guy out, I'm pretty sure they are doing similar reasearch at the university here in town, I know they are working with some cyborg type stuff, how far they've gotten I'll have to check up on that.

Kimberly

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score

I have celiacs and am allergic to wheat and soy on top of it as well as MSG... too much of any of the above and I turn into a human salad shooter, so you have my condolances on the pain, etc. :Hug2:

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
The UK reprints were awesome as they edited out a lot of the blah blah blah, and kept most of the fighting intact. They even edited one of the babies out of the Spider-Man series in the mid-80s and condensed two years of US storytelling into about six months here - of course, now that the issues are being reprinted in full, my boredom with superheroes is fully to the fore.
Eh, comics in general just aren't really something I'm massively interested in. The closest I've come is loving V for Vendetta, and quite liking Hellboy. I tried to get into more proper superhero comics twice (once because I thought watching a lot of AT4W meant I must like them in some way) and one because of the DC reboot but I quickly found out I don't watch AT4W because I like or care about comics, I just like hearing funny people be snarky about things.

And comics have a lot of things to make fun of, because the idea of superheroes at all is, by its very nature, utterly ludicrous. And I think everyone can agree the Silver Age specifically is a treasure trove of absolute insanity.

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
Wait... They can grow brain cells? That's not only incredible, but would seem to imply that you can grow nerve tissue in a lab as well. I have to google this now.

Yes they can, and I don't know if the article has been posted here from last summer or not, haven't checked the archives, but the Russians claim that they will be able to do a brain transplant within the next five years or so. They already have a list of candidates signing up for the "new frontier" in human bodies.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
And comics have a lot of things to make fun of, because the idea of superheroes at all is, by its very nature, utterly ludicrous. And I think everyone can agree the Silver Age specifically is a treasure trove of absolute insanity.

The "weird hero" corner is much better than the mainstream - there's a collection of Robert Lovett - Back From The Dead (in POD, but still good) which shows that there are ideas which never go out of fashion. And the Nick Jolly end of the scale is more SF than superhero. Gotta admit, Captain Klep is still my favorite hero, and he only ever had single-page "adventures".

Status
Not open for further replies.