When to start mentioning your WIP in detail on your blog

Msdobing

Registered
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm heavy in the middle of a second draft of my current WIP (an urban fantasy that I can only describe currently as a mix of The Matrix, Harry Potter for adults and a bit of quantum physics for good measure).

I have a blog (www.msdobing.com) wherein I post fairly frequently, but more about writing tools, past works, tit bits and things related to writing in general.

What I DON'T do is really mention my WIP, apart from in passing or with reference to tools etc.

What I'm asking you good folks is, should I be referencing my WIP more directly in my blog? Should I be dropping excerpts from the draft, planned covers etc or perhaps stuff around the world building, background etc?

The planned release date is early 2015, probably around March time.

What do you think? Do I need to do more to "plug" my upcoming novel on my blog or is it too early currently? I want to make people more aware of what's coming, but not in a hard sell kind of way, more really to say "look, here's my world, here's the first story that will be set in it, hope you look forward to it" kind of thing...

Any advice is much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Mike
www.msdobing.com

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Are you self-publishing? If so, you can start laying the groundwork with teasers and background info now. Scout out blogs and review sites, and begin making non-spammy connections with them. If you want to send out ARC's, you'll need to do that three to six months before publication.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You mention it when you're comfortable mentioning it, since bringing it up is likely to get comments about what you present. It's the same thing as: When do I share my work with beta/critiquers? When you feel ready to deal with what comes back.

I have a novel that will be micropublished about the same time. I've mentioned it in passing in my blog since the beginning, but haven't really talked about it in any detail. I figure about 4 months before the publishing date, I'll go more into the story itself in a few (but not all) posts. I plan to post a few excerpts the month before, but still not make the entire blog about this one book. I don't like it when other authors do it, so I don't intend to do something I don't enjoy as a reader.

But that's me and my comfort zone as a blogger. Your mileage will vary, so do what works and feels right for you.

Msdobing

Registered
Reaction score
You mention it when you're comfortable mentioning it, since bringing it up is likely to get comments about what you present. It's the same thing as: When do I share my work with beta/critiquers? When you feel ready to deal with what comes back.

Thanks, I suppose that's what I'm getting at - the WIP ISN'T ready for consumption as something I'd be happy publishing, but at the same time I'm aware I should be drumming up something with regards to what's coming.

Are you self-publishing? If so, you can start laying the groundwork with teasers and background info now. Scout out blogs and review sites, and begin making non-spammy connections with them. If you want to send out ARC's, you'll need to do that three to six months before publication.

I am yes, that's the intention. Thanks for that, I'll do some ground work on that side of things then. I follow a lot of blogs, can you recommend some good review sites or is it something I can google quite easily?

Thanks again

PsylentProtagonist

American Vampire
Registered
Reaction score
I would echo the sentiments of 'when you're ready' and only post what you want to share. Don't feel you have to post a lot, a simple sentence or post of 'hey this is what I'm doing' works. I know one author I used to read a lot mentioned a year before his book was published that he was working on it. He kind of made a game where he'd post articles and news clippings related to it and say to see if you could figure out the topic. Or just in passing 'working on a sci-fi/crime/thriller/ clown show re-enactment, working on the second draft.' You could post a teaser picture even. It's all up to you! Just remember that you're in control.

Jinsune

Registered
Reaction score
I make a post while I'm working on my manuscripts. I usually wait until I'm a couple of chapters in before I release anything about it. That way I can mention the name, the genre and a little bit of what it's about.

snowpea

Registered
Reaction score
I just only started mine and am already dedicating my writing blog to it. I feel like getting a fan base will help me feel more motivated. I've already gained 5 new followers in the past 3 days.