Facebook: Profile or page?

Reaction score
I've been doing some reading lately on using Facebook as an author platform, but there seems to be some conflict about which one is more effective, profiles or pages. I've read that the profile option is better for writers who don't yet have a fanbase, whereas established authors with a wide readership are better off with a page. But there's so many opposing articles, it's hard to know which advice is most sound. Does anyone here have any experience with a fb page or profile (or even both?).

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Are you considering a self-pub route or a trade route. This could considerably vary your answer.

(I prefer the regular Facebook page.)

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
If you plan to do any promoting of your books at all then get a page! I have two FB pages and my regular profile. Each page has it's own purpose and audience.

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses!

My intention is to get one of my novels out there self published online, while still trying to attain an agent in the meantime. What's the best option for someone in my position?

I read in an article that the page restricts you in being able to communicate with readers, whereas a profile allows them to interact with you more on a personal level?

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Page for your writing-related stuff. More tools to track what you're doing.

You can keep your profile; I did, and so do other authors. But I don't let the two mix. All the political or current events stuff I comment on goes on my regular profile, unless something happens to cross over. For instance, Sad Girl concerns human trafficking, so if I find an article that mentions it, I'll post it to my author page.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
I read in an article that the page restricts you in being able to communicate with readers, whereas a profile allows them to interact with you more on a personal level?

Having a separate author page is definitely more professional. I don't want my personal FB posts cluttering up my author timeline, so that's why I have a separate author page.

The only restriction that's significant enough is that an author page can't join groups. You have to do that from your personal profile.

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I think a page would be better so you can have options to advertise as well as track progress and updates