Lieing to your reader...is it ok?

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
See, I LOVED this. I would have loved the book equally if the twist hadn't happened but it made SO MUCH SENSE. And added this deeper layer to the whole story. Because once you found out you can look at the whole book differently. I could go into why I was okay with it more but then I'd give away too much.

Unreliable narrator is subject, I think. Some will hate it. Some will love it. That's something you'll have to be willing to deal with going in.

Go into it as a writer writing that sort of novel or as a reader reading that sort of novel? Because for the latter, I didnt go into the story knowing, so how could I deal with it going in? I felt completely cheated and lied to for the sake of the reveal and I felt it took a lot of bullcrap layers away, not added to them. If it had been in third person it would have worked but when you use a FPPOV you put the reader into the head of the MC so you are there with her with all her thoughts and secrets and IMs. All the reveal revealed to me was that her thoughts weren't authentic because no one can go through that without thinking about it and without revealing many many things that were purposefully not left out. It was a dumb/cheap gimmick IMO. But as I said, I only hate the VERY END. Like, from the page at the end when you discover the reveal. The rest of the book was wonderfully crafted in terms of suspense, pacing, emotions, and leaving the reader with a true Who Done it feeling throughout.

Last edited:

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
I think an unreliable narrator who isn't confused or insane is super tricky, yes. If they also lie to themselves, it's easier for the reader to swallow.

But she didn't lie to herself. Only to the reader (well, and to ALL the characters, obviously). At least, that's what I got from the way the reveal went down. It was a very, HA HA SUCKERS, in your face sort of thing.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
There are several ways to do an unreliable narrator, and having the narrator actively lying in the narrative works, but I think it has to be apparent that they're telling the story to someone. For example, in LIAR, the MC is very clear that she is telling you her story, and she swears it's going to be the truth. Until she starts going back and explaining why she lied a little about things.

One book I love with an unreliable narrator makes sure you know that he believes he can't share the truth with anyone and has to almost believe in his own lie to get through life. One book I hate has no reason given why the POV character would not only not reveal the truth but would actively think in such a way that would hide the truth.

Another way to do it is that I've noticed in the Dresden Files, more and more, Harry will tell us that he's got a secret (he has an "ace in the hole," he's "playing his cards close," etc) so that we don't feel cheated when he reveals that he had a plan in place all along. However, this does let on that there is a plan in place, which detracts a little from the suspense, IMO.