Get Yer YA Recommendations Here!

C.J.Lindsay

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
If you don't mind another non-American suggestion, how about any Roald Dahl? I saw someone has already mentioned Matilda, but there are lots to choose from and they're pretty accessible.

I like the Harry Potter idea too, though if it was me I'd get it in English, but only because I lived in Taiwan for 5 years and know the book sold really well in translated version there. There's an outside chance she may have read it already in Thai. However, I have never been to Thailand and know zero about the likelihood of 'non-readers' reading Harry Potter the way they did/do over here, so I've no idea if my opinion on that is valid!

Good luck and fun choosing!

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Weetzie Bat! Dangerous Angels is a collected volume that includes Weetzie Bat and all of its sequels, five times the goodness! And yeah, the books are lyrical and very short.

Dangerous Angels just arrived at my house (I've only read the 1st one) and I am excited beyond all reason.

eastcoastgal

compulsive overeditor
Registered
Reaction score
BABY by Patricia McLachlan is an easy but deliciously poetic read. SARAH, PLAIN AND TALL by the same author is usually better known, but is the first in a series.

THE GOOD MASTER by Kate Seredy is a really rich, lovely story. It has a sequel, but stands alone. CHARLOTTE'S WEB might be a good choice, too. I imagine it would have been translated into Thai; ANNE OF GREEN GABLES also may have been translated, and would be a good choice if you don't mind taking something that isn't an American book.

cscarlet

AW = Procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again everyone! I think I am going to pick 1 or 2, and then if she likes them I will tell her that I will mail her more every few months. :)

zolambrosine

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Harry Potter, The Animorphs, and Goosebumps are the first actual books(not chapter books) that I remember reading in elementary school.

I like The Outsiders too and I'd rec Rumble Fish if we were going for books with harsh topics.

And yeah, anything Louis Sachar writes is pretty awesome. Wayside, Small Steps, There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom, Dogs Don't Tell Jokes....the list goes on and on. Sachar and Spinelli are great for humor with a touch of weirdness.

Oooooh man Animorphs was my shit.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Grief in YA

I am looking for recommendations for contemporary YA books in which the MC is bereaved, particularly if due to the death of a parent.

I'm not writing YA, but my WIP has a character, now in her twenties, who lost her mom as a teenager.

I can't remember the last YA book I read (didn't even read YA when I was of that age, actually), and am fairly clueless as to what is out there. I found a book by Sarah Dessen that looked good (due to a subway ad, haha), but am looking for other ideas!

thanks!

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
In Fall for Anything by Courtney Summers, the MCs father recently killed himself. I haven't read it yet but that seems to be along the lines of what you're looking for.

AlanF

Think Positive
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vodpod.com
Hi LJD

Though the following book doesn't deal with the death of a parent, it does deal with a teenager coming to grips with the passing of her best friend, which may give you some insights...

"Wintergirls" (written by Laurie Halse Anderson) I did not read the book, but read a review of it, and think it may offer some insights into how teens tackle grief. Hope this helps...good luck!

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
In Fall for Anything by Courtney Summers, the MCs father recently killed himself. I haven't read it yet but that seems to be along the lines of what you're looking for.

I second Fall for Anything.

Hold Still by Nina La Cour also deals with bereavement but, in that case, the MC has lost her best friend.

aekap

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Def. "If I Stay" by Gayle Forman.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Revolution, by Jennifer Donnelly (death of a sibling, but a compelling look at grief and survivor's guilt).

~suki

PollyAnna

Keepin' it Real-ish
Registered
Reaction score
The Sky is Everywhere, by Jandy Nelson. (again death of a sibling, and SO SO good).

chocowrites

scaredy cat
Registered
Reaction score
It seems like a whole lot of "serious" contemporary books have a death to set them off, so if you pretty much pick up any YA literary book, there will likely be a plot line about some friend/parent/relative who's kicked the bucket recently.

I second/third: Fall For Anything, The Sky is Everywhere, Hold Still, If I Stay, Wintergirls. Not only do they fit the "death" criterion, they're basically some of the best (IMO) contemp books out there. This thread has some really awesome recs thus far.

I'll also add (mostly not perfectly fitting the criteria):
Amy & Roger's Epic Detour--the father died recently.
Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian--no parents dead, but dead relatives abound. Lotsa grief in this one.
Looking for Alaska-- friend dead.
Cracked Up to Be--ditto LfA.

Last edited:

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Under the Wolf, Under the Dog--my #1 rec by far. mother's death from cancer and sibling's subsequent suicide. an incredible book.

alsoIwrotethisbookcalledInvincibleSummer

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, "Will" is a great one. Ooh and "a love story starring my dead best friend"--what it says on the tin. Bestie dies but our heroine had a sekrit crush on her! I seriously love that book. "SLOB" is a wonderful one too. And 2nding, "the sky is everywhere" is frickin genius. And isnt there a book callled "another hideous book where the mother dies" or something like that?

nerdyglam

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to get some recommendations for contemporary YA with first-person narratives where you felt that the author did an amazing job at capturing the narrator's voice.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Re: voice.

I don't read a lot of contemporary YA, but:

Break - Hannah Moskowitz
Will Grayson, Will Grayson - David Levithan and John Green (note: I heard this as an audiobook, so the voice thing might be skewed for me)
Liar - Justin Larbalestier (note: Some may consider this fantasy, some may not)

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Absolutely True Story of a Part-Time Indian has great voice. Also, Fat Kid Rules the World. And The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things. And anything by John Green (which is one of my answers to any contemporary YA question :D).

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
The Boyfriend List series
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Maybe by Brent Runyon
Under the Wolf, Under the Dog (I am reccing this book all over the damn place lately. guys it's so good, read it.)
Sins of the Fathers by Chris Lynch (this one too. NO ONE KNOWS ABOUT THIS BOOK AND IT IS SO GOOD, WHAT IS UP WITH THE WORLD)
Smack by Melvin Burgess
Nothing Like You by Lauren Strasnick
Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
Good vs. Evil?

I'm looking for some suggestions of YA urban fantasy novels/series (preferably not dystopian) in which the main character(s) are involved in some kind of good vs. evil fight. I have the Pendragon books by D.J. MacHale (which may be MG rather than YA), and that's sort of along the lines of what I'm looking for.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Re: Good vs. Evil

Surprisingly, this is actually easier to find in MG fantasy than YA. Right now I am totally blanking, but I know there are some. I'll search my shelves when I get home.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Blue Bloods series and Peeps/The Last Days are both about good vampires vs. evil stuff.