The next big thing

IdrisG

the wicked wit of the west
Registered
Reaction score
Realistically speaking, though, would a publisher be willing to wait 2+ years for Book 2? In such a rapidly shifting category, you'd probably want book 2 to come out while book 1 is still relatively fresh in everyone's mind.

I'd argue that a consistently successful author might be able to swing this. I'm thinking of Libba Bray's Diviners series. That came out in 2012 and the sequel isn't expected until 2015. But that goes for a proven author. I don't believe a debut author would get that kind of slack.

I agree with Becca C.'s definition of lit fic. Character-driven, generally serious in tone, and very focused on style of prose. That may be the best overall definition of literary fiction I've seen. Obviously it gets more complicated when you add additional genres like sci-fi, but that covers it otherwise, I think.

stephen andrew

Write, write, and keep reading
Registered
Reaction score
It seems to me that in "literary" writing -- probably moreso in adult -- the theme and characters essentially trumps the plot, and definitely there is a focus on prose construction and voice. Though I think in YA the prose part is less evident, or reduced, for readability's sake, which I am fine with!

writersherry

Sherry_Soule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fictionwritingtools.blogspot.com
I think contemporary NA (New adult) is the hottest genre right now, which is centered around college-aged characters. Romance will always be number one, and paranormal is still super hot despite what agents and editors claim.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I'd argue that a consistently successful author might be able to swing this. I'm thinking of Libba Bray's Diviners series. That came out in 2012 and the sequel isn't expected until 2015. But that goes for a proven author. I don't believe a debut author would get that kind of slack.

Jandy Nelson's debut, THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE, came out in 2010 and her follow-up only just came out the other day. So it can definitely be done.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Saw this in the PM email the other day and thought I'd throw it in here, since it seems rare for a debut to be a major deal.

Julie Eshbaugh's IVORY AND BONE, pitched as a YA Clan of the Cave Bear, this fantastical debut with a unique narrative structure tells the story of two star-crossed teens whose competing clans share a dark history, and who must choose between trusting —or fighting— each other, to Alexandra Cooper at Harper Children's, in a major deal, in a pre-empt, in a three-book deal, for publication in Summer 2016, by Josh Adams at Adams Literary (NA).

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I think contemporary NA (New adult) is the hottest genre right now, which is centered around college-aged characters.

Contemporary, yes. NA, not so much. NA's been pretty hit-or-miss. Most miss, but the ones that hit, hit big. Publishers will look at them, but acquisitions are few and far-between.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I'm in a program where I can win free books, and I generally choose those books being offered by large, mainstream or small, indie publishers. I keep seeing YA books being offered with paranormal, scifi or alternate world settings. Many of them are in series. So the 'big' publishers are still pushing them out and someone must be buying them.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Saw this in the PM email the other day and thought I'd throw it in here, since it seems rare for a debut to be a major deal.

This is the third "and Bone" I've seen in a YA title lol

It sounds cool, kind of like a Final Fantasy XV (magic Romeo and Juliet basically) deal. Could be really cool.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
"and bone" automatically makes me think of Laini Taylor. I think she was the first. Seems like they could be more creative about those titles. :) Apparently bones are popular these days.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, Shadow and Bone. I think everyone just wants to bone. In paranormal YA, that is. *snigger snigger*

But seriously, ivory and bone is a weird title, because isn't ivory a form of bone? Elephant tusks and such? I don't know, just seems kind of redundant.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
But seriously, ivory and bone is a weird title, because isn't ivory a form of bone? Elephant tusks and such? I don't know, just seems kind of redundant.

No, ivory is not a form of bone. It's dental tissue, the stuff right under your tooth enamel. They do happen to have similar composition, and some similar uses, but they aren't the same thing.

I think bone is a really popular word for titles in certain genres because it connotes death. Horror and Dark Fantasy naturally appreciate that connotation.

thisprovinciallife

hi! i'm reese.
Registered
Reaction score

Okay, I also saw this last week for another YA series... is it just me or do these two stories sound very similar?

Amy Tintera (Reboot and Rebel) closed a three-book, six figure deal with Jennifer Klonsky and Emilia Rhodes at HarperTeen. Tintera, who will be penning a YA fantasy trilogy, was represented by Emmanuelle Morgen at Stonesong, who sold North American rights. The first installment, Ruined, is set for summer 2016. The series follows two teens, on opposing sides of a war, as they, per Morgen, “rise to become leaders in their respective kingdoms while falling in love with each other.”

vs.

Julie Eshbaugh's IVORY AND BONE, pitched as a YA Clan of the Cave Bear, this fantastical debut with a unique narrative structure tells the story of two star-crossed teens whose competing clans share a dark history, and who must choose between trusting —or fighting— each other, to Alexandra Cooper at Harper Children's, in a major deal, in a pre-empt, in a three-book deal, for publication in Summer 2016, by Josh Adams at Adams Literary (NA).

It would be a shame if warring kingdoms/clans and multiple POVs (GOT types) flood the market -- that's my favorite genre and I don't want to get sick of it... although I'm sure high fantasy is a genre that'll never really go 'dead'.

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
Isn't that what the publishing, movie and TV industry do? Take one thing we love and milk it until it's a dry ravaged corpse of the original idea? I expect to see a LOT of GOT-ish books/movies in the near future.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
At least it's easy enough to avoid reading bad GOT ripoffs -- GOT is so brilliant that if it looks like a pale imitation, it will be.

Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
I can tell I will not care for the fighting kingdoms series. The fact that they have to be the leaders suggests it's going to lack a certain amount of sophistication. I'd think slightly more minor players would make for better tension and interesting plot.

Also, anything whose comp title is Clan of the Cave Bear... Not gonna like that either.

I'd love to see a few more GoT-type series in YA, but I'd like them to actually be GoT-type, and not just vaguely similar enough that the marketing departments think they can get away with the comparison to attract readers.

IdrisG

the wicked wit of the west
Registered
Reaction score
It's hard to imagine the next big thing in YA because it hasn't happened yet. I feel like the crime novel has a good chance of being the next big thing if it's written well. Maybe some young adult spiritual successors to Gone Girl.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I saw an article on Huffpo about what seems to be trending on Wattpad right now (I can't find it right now, damn). Some things that stuck out were 1) genies 2) gangs and 3) romances with underrepresented groups (Muslims, LGBTQ+ etc). I wonder if any of those could bleed into the professional market?

Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
I saw an article on Huffpo about what seems to be trending on Wattpad right now (I can't find it right now, damn). Some things that stuck out were 1) genies 2) gangs and 3) romances with underrepresented groups (Muslims, LGBTQ+ etc). I wonder if any of those could bleed into the professional market?

There's already been a strong trend towards LGBT romances. Sara Farizan is having a second book come out featuring a persian lesbian FMC. Scott Westerfeld just had an Indian lesbian FMC come out, though the novel pushes the NA boundary due to the plot.

I don't think they'll ever become a trend trend. They're already behaving more like contempt does: steady presence, few blowouts.

I've not seen any evidence of genies or gangs having a major presence in YA over the past ten years. But maybe that could change?

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm holding out the hope that the next big thing is just good books in a variety of genres with no major blockbuster copy-catting going on. Yes, a pipe dream, I know. But a girl can dream. Or maybe if I had one of those genies . . .

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I caved to my craving for YA deals and bought another subscription to PM. Spotted this, posted yesterday:

Cat Clarke's THE LOST AND THE FOUND, about a girl whose older sister turns up thirteen years after being kidnapped--and her growing suspicions that she may not really be her sister after all, to Emily Easton at Crown Children's, in a very nice deal, at auction, in a two-book deal, for publication in Summer 2016, by Allison Hellegers at Rights People on behalf of Julia Churchill at AM Heath (NA).

Sooooo excited for another Cat Clarke book. This seems like the perfect subject material for her. And it isn't to Quercus, where all her previous books are from. I heard they were having financial trouble, or were sold or something. Since I see (NA) and the end (North American?), I wonder if this book will be available here instead of just the UK like her others. That would be great!

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
I caved to my craving for YA deals and bought another subscription to PM. Spotted this, posted yesterday:

Sooooo excited for another Cat Clarke book. This seems like the perfect subject material for her. And it isn't to Quercus, where all her previous books are from. I heard they were having financial trouble, or were sold or something. Since I see (NA) and the end (North American?), I wonder if this book will be available here instead of just the UK like her others. That would be great!

I'll read anything by Cat Clarke. Anything.