List Your Character Names

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
LOVE the name Eris. I initially named my MC Eris, but my writing buddies either mispronounced it or just hated it in general, so I dropped it.

It made me very sad to let it go since I am obsessed with Greek mythology.

Thanks! I love her name too. It's pretty telling of her character but most people wouldn't know unless they looked it up.

allisonrussell

I object
Registered
Reaction score
Website
allisonsrussell.blogspot.com
Suzie Townsend just posted about this on Twitter:

"So my thought today is that I'm all for unique names. I even wish I had a more unique name, but...

An excess of names of characters or places that are hard for the average reader to pronounce makes it hard to get into the story.

Too many apostrophes and consonants that don't go together or letter combinations that seem to defy language constructions are confusing...

Which really puts someone at a disadvantage when they're trying to connect with a character and the world."

Seems obvious, but apparently she sees it enough to comment on it.

Alouette

bad apple
Registered
Reaction score
Mine are:

Ava
David
Hannah
Charlie

Florence
Caroline
Robert
Ronnie

Rose
Aneira (Nia)
Alaric
Glenia
Fredrik

Cordelia
Harry
Theodore (Teddy)
Eleni
Charity
Prudence
Denny

Lycie
Lou
Scott
Crayton
Eli
Grape
Moonie
Corner
Ben
Smiler
Flint
Glen
Anyse

I have way too much fun coming up with names. First set is post-apocalyptic, second is historical, then fantasy, thriller and dystopian (hence the nicknames). I think most of mine are pronounceable. I guess Aneira and Anyse might cause some confusion.

Last edited:

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
Let's see:

Jonah Leighton
Shanna Bailey
Ken Gallant
Mark James

Topher James (yes, he's related to Mark...shhh!)
Blake Walker
Callie Monroe
Faith Carlisle
Eli Tyler
Gage Curtis
Jeffrey York
Darin Gordon
Matthew James
Dominic Letellier
Laura Walker
Phil Thomason

Jamey Josephson
V.J. Josephson
Jebbi Randolph (maybe a little speshul..she's a girl named Jebediah)
Amanda Rodriguez
Landon Brooks

Chris Talberman
Noah Silver

Tobias Rogan

IntangiblyEpic

Registered
Reaction score
Andoarrans
Chansra Urn
Marcus Davion
Crassius Andoarra
Malakai Trucco
Jadyn Knevir
Lee Orkut
Ella
Henry Grai

Federated Region Citizens
Gabriel Bastion
Matthew Norman
Dax Blakely
Westin Easton
President Lacey Nedala
Robert Noss
Adam Kacichek
William Takrin
Karreem Malhotra
Andromeda
Evan Davis

Last edited:

AmyJay

Registered
Reaction score
From my book on sub:
Avery Winterkill (male)
Patrick Wright (though most people call him Trick for short)
Hazel Grimes
Vincent Degnarla
Michael Morrigan

From my WIP, so subject to change:
Nolan Eyers
Neal Eyers (his twin sister)
Seth Hanley

Ginger Writer

Writing like a madwoman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The mains for my current WIP (YA Fantasy):

Catherine
James
Aidan
Nessa

The mains for the YA Fantasy that I'm querying:
Tessa
Roger
Sebastian
Annabelle
Hattie

I try to pick unique but still kind of mainstream names. For example, I (generally) would pick something like "Robin" over either "Jessica" or "Amethyst."

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
My character names are anagrams.

Koenig Frosh - King of Heros
Mim Lowrys - Slimy Worm
I've even got a couple of starships named that way:
Gallantise Mer - Stellar Enigma
Rulynxan Rage - Galaxy Runner

Still working out the story to bring that together.

PoppysInARow

Book Reviewer y'all
Registered
Reaction score
From Riot:

Thomas (Tom) Bourque
Christian (Chris) Porter
Craig Jackson
Donald (Donnie) Crane
Benjamin (Benny) Hoff
Sarah Morgan
Elle Brooke
Casey Brooke

Alison_Kale

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, spot on haha :D

I though Cade might blend in but apparently not.

Totally did not see Cade coming, but I assumed the French girls and the, uh, Vikings guys weren't human. Though if you hadn't mentioned there were non-humans, I might have thought it took place at an international boarding school :)

I wonder if the genres are obvious. XD Well, save for the second one, which is obvious indeed.

Project One
This one actually has a bit of name play.

Blaise Cavendish
James Rutherford
Edwin Watt
John Heaviside
George Cavendish
Rudolf Weber
Francis Prescott
Dr. Gustav
Nikola Fizeau

Hmm . . . Historical? British peers and Russians? That's my vote. Though who is Rudolf Weber?

My YA has too many characters to list (gah), but the mains:

Tiffany Bates
Bobby Bates
Deena
Sean
Waterfall
Changer
Hawk
Shango
Elaine
Madeline
Ashley
Brian

My new adult:

Rachael Hamilton
Ryan Carter
. . . and then I realized they alliterate . . .
David Hamilton
Sophie Salisbury
Eva
John
Abe Krasner
Malcolm Lindsey
Briana Harris
Carly Serrano
Alexandra Wilson

Good God, I have the same alliteration disease that created Lois Lane and Lana Lang . . . And somehow one of my main characters escaped a last name. Hmm . . .

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
From my book on sub:
Avery Winterkill (male)
Patrick Wright (though most people call him Trick for short)
Hazel Grimes
Vincent Degnarla
Michael Morrigan

From my WIP, so subject to change:
Nolan Eyers
Neal Eyers (his twin sister)
Seth Hanley

Trick for Patrick is really cool! Why have I never heard it used before

JQTrotter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jacquelinetrotter.wordpress.com
I keep reading complaints about YA books insisting on special snowflake names. I might be a bit guilty.

That's a complaint? I think if it's a fantasy/sci-fi/paranormal YA book then that's acceptable. If it's a YA that doesn't fall under that category then I guess it could be weird but... isn't that kind of the point of fiction? Of using things (in this case names) that you don't see in real life (non-fiction) usually?

Main characters for my YA/Fantasy:
Ailith Shaw
Seth Shaw - (nickname: Zeek -- purposely not spelled Zeke)
Dwayne Jameson
Divya Channar
Valerie Splendid - (nickname: Violet. I know Splendid is a weird last name, but she's my MC)

For the most part, mine aren't unusual names but still in any YA Paranormal/Fantasy I read I except out-there things and that includes names. I wouldn't complain about that.

MysticPunk

Registered
Reaction score
That's a complaint? I think if it's a fantasy/sci-fi/paranormal YA book then that's acceptable. If it's a YA that doesn't fall under that category then I guess it could be weird but... isn't that kind of the point of fiction? Of using things (in this case names) that you don't see in real life (non-fiction) usually?

Main characters for my YA/Fantasy:
Ailith Shaw
Seth Shaw - (nickname: Zeek -- purposely not spelled Zeke)
Dwayne Jameson
Divya Channar
Valerie Splendid - (nickname: Violet. I know Splendid is a weird last name, but she's my MC)

For the most part, mine aren't unusual names but still in any YA Paranormal/Fantasy I read I except out-there things and that includes names. I wouldn't complain about that.

Strange names can be annoying and can break your suspension of disbelief. I'm reading hunger games and I want to shout KATNISS EVERDEEN IS A STUPID EFFING NAME every time I read it. I like fantasy but I like fantasy that is grounded in reality. I liked that Susan Collins or what ever, was consistent with her naming even though all of the names were just so ridiculous.

You run into a problem, though, when you use names from other cultures or time periods. I use the muses, from ancient greek mythology, and those are often difficult for modern readers to read or pronounce.

I think the real problem is when the names sound like the person is trying really hard to do three things: be pronounceable yet unique, have a deep meaning that is somewhat obvious, and trying to match the mood of a story rather than the world they build. ie Raven Moonnight. UGH. Trying to develop a unique culture, such as aliens, fairies or the far future/past, is an easy way to be too "out there", too. Being consistent is important in that regard, though.

I'm probably wrong on most of this. And kind of hypocritical. The names Elya and Omar (from my muse stories) are both religious names that are somewhat rare but pop up in modern time. Elya is jewish and Omar is islamic / arabic.

bickazer

someday we'll shine together
Registered
Reaction score
I like fantasy but I like fantasy that is grounded in reality.

Not everyone does, though. I certainly don't. I prefer high/epic/secondary world fantasy. Any real world intrusion just annoys me. Hence why I prefer unique names in a fantasy world - having characters named "Tom" and "Bob" and "Mary" and whatever in a supposedly completely different world breaks my suspension of disbelief far more than if the characters have fancy fantasy names.

(This is also why I can never get into Tamora Pierce's Tortall books. I keep asking myself why do all the characters have English names)

I suspect it's a matter of individual taste, though. And it does annoy me when all the characters in a real world setting have speshul snowflake names.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
I think it applies more to stories based in the real world. Even if it's paranormal or urban fantasy, sometimes the humans will have totally ridiculous names.

I can't remember which agent it was, but one complained about a trend where girls having normal names and boys sounds ~totally exotic & special~

Last edited:

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
Strange names can be annoying and can break your suspension of disbelief. I'm reading hunger games and I want to shout KATNISS EVERDEEN IS A STUPID EFFING NAME every time I read it. I like fantasy but I like fantasy that is grounded in reality. I liked that Susan Collins or what ever, was consistent with her naming even though all of the names were just so ridiculous.

You run into a problem, though, when you use names from other cultures or time periods. I use the muses, from ancient greek mythology, and those are often difficult for modern readers to read or pronounce.

I think the real problem is when the names sound like the person is trying really hard to do three things: be pronounceable yet unique, have a deep meaning that is somewhat obvious, and trying to match the mood of a story rather than the world they build. ie Raven Moonnight. UGH. Trying to develop a unique culture, such as aliens, fairies or the far future/past, is an easy way to be too "out there", too. Being consistent is important in that regard, though.

I'm probably wrong on most of this. And kind of hypocritical. The names Elya and Omar (from my muse stories) are both religious names that are somewhat rare but pop up in modern time. Elya is jewish and Omar is islamic / arabic.

^ Basically my sentiments. I love names (and nicknames) that are different and not so common. But names that are so unique to the point it distracts me from the story, does bother me. I also think it's clever when named after places or objects, as odd as that sounds. Haha. I just like my stuff grounded in some sort of reality. Even the supernatural shows I watch, the names aren't uber out-there. They sound more like "wow, I can spell that and it's nice and different," or "why haven't I heard that before or used that before?"

Morven

Child of Darkness
Registered
Reaction score
For my fantasy WIP that ... may or may not be YA:

Mindala Perenor
(Princess) Yvgenia Talriss
(King) Anton Talriss
Anhelia Aescar
Anhel Aescar (father of Anhelia)
Soot (nickname; no real name known)
Felik Gamula
Ettise Camley
Tem Flinders

... meh.

MysticPunk

Registered
Reaction score
I suspect it's a matter of individual taste, though. And it does annoy me when all the characters in a real world setting have speshul snowflake names.

It totally is. I was just explaining why someone might react badly to those names because the poster I was quoting seemed to not understand the opposite perspective.

JQTrotter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jacquelinetrotter.wordpress.com
King of all stupid snowflake names: Reneesme (however it's spelt) Carlie Cullen!

I was going to bring up what happened to Twilight being the exception to what I said but then I decided against it but... You are so right. There are times when weird names seemed forced and are just being used for the shock value. I think all the "odd" names in Twilight were pointless.

Anyway, about what MysticPunk said I'm more on bickazer's side. I'll read fantasy based in reality but that's not a necessity for me since it's fantasy. So if it's going to be totally out there and use unusual names then cool. I guess I should have used the pretense as long as the odd names seem natural in the story I like it.

toldyouso

Surly Temple
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
toldyousoandso.blogspot.com
I've enjoyed reading all these name lists and discussion. :)

This is for my Post-apocalyptic Dystopia YA with queer main characters:

Wren Gipps (MC)
Edgar Gipps
Harriet Gipps
Cassidy Warren
Patience (Love interest. Haven't decided on her last name. I'm thinking of something average like 'Smith' or 'Jones'.)
Oliver
Margo
Arch

I'm trying to balance it so it's not too much with the weird names, a few average ones and old-fashioned ones.
That's just for book one.

Dagrami

stuck in the middle
Registered
Reaction score
The MCs of my current WIP are:
Ethan
Isaac
Allika
Leander
Jacasti

There's a very regimented class system in effect. Hopefully, just from their first names you should get some kind of idea who the ones born into nobility are, and who the everyday folk are...

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Neat topic, missesdash!

For The Fire Worker: (current YA WIP)
Westley
Shelley
Vanessa (Nessa for short)
Adrian
Ellie (short for Eleanor)
Sam
Ambrose
Mercer
Sarah
Damian

For Hoppers: (previous WIP)
Rachel "Red" Griffin (named for her hair)
Jordan
Kink
Ingi
Simon (thinking of changing this to Sergei though)
Merrick
Violet
Lolly (short for Lolita)
Andy
Aleks
Wolf (short for Wolfgang)
PJ
Feliks
Kris
Clayton

The former is fantasy (contemporary, not exactly urban), the latter is sci-fi of the time-travel/dystopia variety.