Querying YA dystopian question

BeesKnees

Registered
Reaction score
So, I'm hoping to get some advice on my situation. I've just finished editing my YA manuscript and believe I am ready to start querying. I participated in Pitch Wars this year and got two suggestions on account of the fact that dystopian is such a hard sell right now: 1) Label it as SFF in my query letter instead of dystopian (I do feel my manuscript is loosely dystopian, but that's still the closest fit); or 2) sit on the manuscript for awhile to see if the market shifts.

I'm wondering how viable either of these suggestions are.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've moved this from General Publishing Discussions to our YA room, where you should get some good advice.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
If you are pitching agents, you're not going to fool anyone by naming it a different category than it is. Without knowing what you've written it's hard to gauge, though. Since you're new, it might be worth participating in the threads under YA and SFF.

Of course, 'hard' doesn't mean 'impossible', just that the bar is very high right now.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
I would have to read the work to say if you could get by with labeling it a more general umbrella genre, but if it's dystopian, it's dystopian. It's a hard sell because publishers don't see the worth in selling it at the moment and agents are going to by shy about representing it. Agents do read the work. So if you mislead them by calling it something different, when they figure out what it is they might be steamed.

I don't think the market is going to shift. Paranormal romance hasn't bounced back yet, so you might be looking for a decade+ in the sitting department.

My advice: Cut out what little "dystopian" you have and see where your story fits from there. There's a chance that your writing is stellar, the story is amazing, and you'll find the right people willing to take a chance on it. But that's a very, very low chance--sorry.

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
There's probably no harm in trying to query it and see what happens. If you're waiting for a market shift, you could be waiting an awfully long time, and if your book only has minor dystopian elements, there might be another genre you could use for querying purposes, like sci-fi if that fits. If it's not going to sell, it's not going to sell, and agents will know that once they read, but I feel like a lot of them aren't even looking at dystopian queries right now. What's your general plot?

MynaOphelia

lost her spaceship again
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Niicola, you might as well query now and see what happens. If you get some people interested, but hesitant because it's dystopian, then you can go back, cut the dystopian bits (depending on how big they are) and resubmit. But I wouldn't knock yourself out before you even query.

What's your plot look like?

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
It does seem like the vast majority of YA dystopias are a very specific flavor and if yours is not that flavor you may be doing yourself a disservice by labeling it as such.

thisprovinciallife

hi! i'm reese.
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen a few things still getting published that are post-apoc or sci-fi but still feel like they have a bit of dystopia to them. So, while you don't want to mislabel something, it's possible you do fit under the umbrella of another genre. I agree with Niiicola and Myna that it would be helpful if you shared a bit of the plot with us.

Don't wait for the market! It's always worth a shot to try now. Plus, agents say again and again that it's the story that really matters, above all trends and markets.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Really great books find homes. If it's the best damned dystopian anyone has seen, someone will rep it and someone will publish it. If it is the next "_________" no one will want it. Better to have it be the first of its kind - start your own dystopian type. They aren't all the same or equal.

lindz

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen several YA agentsn that are still accepting dystopian as long as it is a single novel and not a series. Dystopian series definitely seem to be a no go. Might help to do some research and find those that are still looking to start off your querying.

BeesKnees

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who has responded with great advice so far! Here's some plot info about the manuscript:

* Ten years ago, telekinetic Teddy Tremaine was kidnapped in the middle of the night, snatched away from his prestigious family. His kidnapping sparked such social upheaval that it became legal for those with extraordinary abilities – Ascendants – to be legally owned by “protectors.”

In MOMENTUM, a complete 82,000-word young adult dystopian novel, seventeen-year-old Teddy has become a top fighter in the Empire Arena, a unique system intended to keep those with abilities under control by battling them against each other. Teddy is the poster child for the arenas, the ultimate endorsement for how well they work. He's content with his new life – until his best friend is purchased by a newcomer, socialite Persephone Howard.

As Persephone builds her new team, she becomes more and more determined to purchase Teddy. But as she gets closer to him, Teddy discovers she isn't the spoiled, upper-class girl she's pretending to be. Yet, if he decides to stand with her, he must confront the past he's buried and leave behind the only safe place he's known for years. If he doesn't, he'll lose the people who still care about him – his best friend, the girl he loves, and the little family he has left.

Some additional info, outside of the query: First, the fighting system isn't intended to be a death system. It's a profit-maker, so it's somewhat similar to a sport in that regard. Second, people with abilities don't have access to them unless they're fighting. And finally, the twist in the book is that the two characters we're kind of not sure if we should be trusting or not end up being Teddy's siblings who have infiltrated this whole system in order to get him out.

Jo Zebedee

space opera-popcorn lover!
Registered
Reaction score
Off the shoulder of Orion, not far from Belfast.
Website
Www.jozebedee.com
My ya novel opens with a dystopian feel (it's not, which quickly becomes evident.) Several agents rejected on that basis, despite liking it.

But, if it's well written and engaging you have a shot. It's just you might have a better shot in a couple of years? Maybe query a few agents, see what the response is, and then decide?

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Based on that description, I think you have other elements you can play up. Telekinetic powers are clearly a science fiction or fantasy element (depending on the source of those powers), not a dystopian element.

BeesKnees

Registered
Reaction score
Based on that description, I think you have other elements you can play up. Telekinetic powers are clearly a science fiction or fantasy element (depending on the source of those powers), not a dystopian element.

They're born with the powers, but technology-based collars are used to block them from using the powers.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
That's sci-fi, not dystopian from the sound of it. In fact, there's another member here who had a book with a similar premise published a few years ago (collar-controlled superheroes forced to fight for profit, but not YA). You might ask Sheryl Nantus how she pitched her book.

Last edited:

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds kind of like THE WINNER'S CURSE, a recent dystopian release. I haven't read that, though.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
There is some debated about whether this is the accurate description of dystopian, but I think it's safe to say the current definition in the YA market is something along the lines of a "perfect" society is founded on a specific ideal and though it seems harmonious at first, the reader quickly sees how the system is deeply flawed. Then the characters go through personal growth to reach the point they oppose this government to try to start something better. Hunger Games didn't exactly fit this bill, but many others are. (Delirium, Matched, Uglies, The Testing) Is the story more about altering this one part they don't like (the game) or about overthrowing the government that condones this? I think the first could put you in SFF territory while the latter leans toward dystopia. Regardless, be honest. I have to believe agents hate it when writers try to fool them, and don't sit on it. If you can't find an agent and/or publisher for it right now, you can still try again in 10 years. Mean time you work on something else. Nothing says you can't submit the same thing ten years later.

BeesKnees

Registered
Reaction score
There is some debated about whether this is the accurate description of dystopian, but I think it's safe to say the current definition in the YA market is something along the lines of a "perfect" society is founded on a specific ideal and though it seems harmonious at first, the reader quickly sees how the system is deeply flawed. Then the characters go through personal growth to reach the point they oppose this government to try to start something better. Hunger Games didn't exactly fit this bill, but many others are. (Delirium, Matched, Uglies, The Testing) Is the story more about altering this one part they don't like (the game) or about overthrowing the government that condones this? I think the first could put you in SFF territory while the latter leans toward dystopia. Regardless, be honest. I have to believe agents hate it when writers try to fool them, and don't sit on it. If you can't find an agent and/or publisher for it right now, you can still try again in 10 years. Mean time you work on something else. Nothing says you can't submit the same thing ten years later.

Definitely more about altering the one part they don't like, the games. The government is only loosely involved in that it permitted people with abilities to be owned and then everything else sprung up separately.

Thanks for taking the time out to give me some advice!

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, most YA books follow a similar pattern:

Protagonist lives in an oppressive, arbitrary system that they have not really questioned too much because they were born into it. There is usually some government mandated coming-of-age thing that the protagonist becomes involved in. Either before or after this coming-of-age thing, the protagonist begins to question the arbitrary system and eventually rebels. The end goal is generally to overthrow the arbitrary, oppressive system but may be more limited in scope like running away from it.

Now there are some ways that dystopias stray from the formula -- e.g. Katniss always hated the system and was always aware of the oppression -- but that's pretty much it. A lot of famous adult dystopias, like 1984 and Fahrenheit 451 also follow this formula except for the coming-of-age event. If your story strays from this formula significantly, because of the way YA has been oversaturated with dystopias, I'd be hesitant to call it one unless it was something like The Sheep Look Up. Yours sounds very sci-fi, anyway, so it's not like you're lying if you say it is sci-fi.

Last edited:

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Yours sounds more sci fi than it does dystopian. You might want to tweak the query to downplay the obvious YA dystopian tropes, but otherwise I don't see why you can't pitch as a YA SF or YA futuristic SF. Interestingly, Becca mentioned The Winner's Curse as being a dystopian but it was primarily pitched as a high fantasy. I've only heard it referred to as a fantasy.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I kind of meant the slavery aspect of the story, but I thought it was a future setting? Oh well, like I said, I haven't read it :p

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Oh no, I'm just saying that even a book that can be categorized as a dystopian was ultimately marketed as a fantasy novel. To me that means that OP is in the clear because how you market a story does matter. If they'd marketed it as a dystopian, even if the author originally conceived it as a dystopian, then perhaps it might not have appealed to as many readers who are a bit tired with books that carry that label. Going with fantasy was the safer option, it seemed, from a marketing/sales standpoint. I've also seen a lot of dystopians get marketed as Sci Fi thrillers lol. So sometimes, within reason, it really does matter how you frame it.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
I think this has already been said, but I'll reiterate: Many books have dystopian elements, but aren't marketed that way. My book (unpublished, so maybe not great example) has two dystopian-like societies that MC must choose between, but really my book is post-apocalyptic. it's more about how people survive after a catastrophe and try to build something out of the ashes. So maybe pre-dystopia, I guess. IN THE AFTER by Demitria Lunetta has a similar thing, NOT A DROP TO DRINK by Mindy McGinnis also has some dystopia, but they are all marketed as Post-Apocalyptic. I'd say you're safe with SF if YOU really feel it is SF.