What are you writing? (YA)

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
YA historical set at the Tudor court. My MC (a real person) is Anne Boleyn's cousin and is married at 13 to Henry VIII's illegitimate son. She ends up giving the evidence against her brother that leads to him being condemned to death for treason. They were a very dysfunctional family. :)

Give it to me, please!
I'm reading up on English history these days, because I'm going to Warwick Castle (among other things) at the end of the month :)

My two current projects are YA contemporaries. I've entered one into a writing contest for YA, and the other one I'm doing final revisions on before Xmas.
LGBT issues in both, but not so prominently in the multiple POV one. And yes, both have romance.

I have a couple of other ideas I'm eager to get started on too - one is a historical/contemporary (no romance!) that might fit YA, and one is a YA contemporary adventure/romance set in Canada (not LGBT this time).

erin_michelle

Foreshadowing Queen
Registered
Reaction score
A YA speculative fiction/mystery (I think?*) about a 16-year-old locksmith apprentice searching for her missing father in an alternate 1911 Chicago, where the city is enclosed by a series of gates and fences. When her father is blamed for a series of bombings and murders, she turns to a secret thief to find her father and prove his innocence.

(*Can we make "Victorian dystopia" a thing? Because that's how I've been classifying the WIP in my head.)

creaturefear

Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on a YA contemporary revolving around an 17 year old boy who lives in Alaska, and a 17 year old Native Alaskan girl.

Though the girl is technically a love interest, I am choosing to focus more on the growth of their friendship as opposed to a definite romance. The chemistry will be there and the reader will be able to interpret it as such, however, I'm a horrible person and will be producing events to stop any romance from actually forming within the book (don't worry its not cancer or anything like that).

It's something I've wanted to write for awhile, but we'll see if I can even get the whole thing down on paper...u.u;

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
YA historical set at the Tudor court. My MC (a real person) is Anne Boleyn's cousin and is married at 13 to Henry VIII's illegitimate son. She ends up giving the evidence against her brother that leads to him being condemned to death for treason. They were a very dysfunctional family. :)

Mary Howard?! Looooooove. BRAZEN by Katherine Longshore is one of my favourite books of the year.

I have a couple of other ideas I'm eager to get started on too - one is a historical/contemporary (no romance!) that might fit YA, and one is a YA contemporary adventure/romance set in Canada (not LGBT this time).

Any questions on Canada, I could probably help you if you need it. Where exactly is it set?

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
So, I just turned in a revision to my agent for an MS about a girl whose boyfriend hits her, and the fallout. It goes back and forth between the present-tense story and past-tense flashbacks.

I'm working on a revision of a summer romance story about a girl who has defined herself by her facial birthmark.

And I'm tossing some ideas back and forth on what to plot next. I'm torn. I need to do some brainstorming and some character developing to see what pops out in my brain.

P.S. - SOOOOOO many of these stories sound fantastic.

Last edited:

Justin K

Registered
Reaction score
WANT. WAAAAAANT.

I think it's ironic that this story appeals to you, because although I didn't mention it in the post, it takes place in Vermont, just as your profile says you're from lol... in a little town referred to only as "Borington". I'm on chapter 4 of 17

Last edited:

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Becca and Ellaroni!

Brazen is great. Longshore beats most adult Tudor histfic by a country mile. My Mary is very different from hers, though - more knowing, has more in common with her father and definitely doesn't get on with Fitz.... :)

Where else are you going apart from Warwick, Ellaroni? If you come to York we should meet for coffee.

Wampus, your teen domestic violence storyline sounds great. So important and relevant.

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
I'm 28,000 words into the first draft of another contemporary YA I'm thinking of calling FIRE ON THE MOUNTAIN, about a girl who knows nothing about her family history finding out that her mother came from an abusive polygamous cult, and that she herself was born into it, too.

Ah, I love cult novels!

The one I'm currently working on is a YA horror set across two timelines, so it's pretty complicated to outline, about an abused girl who escapes her insane cult-leader mother who preached that her family were Satanists. She gets taken in by her grandparents, only to discover that her mother might've been right all along when she discovers evidence from her mother's youth.

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
Any questions on Canada, I could probably help you if you need it. Where exactly is it set?

Primarily Yukon, if the idea ever materializes beyond the one-page summary!

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
Reading this thread only reinforces my thoughts that agents and publishers need to branch out a bit. Instead of looking for the next big one thing like HG or HP or DIVERGENT, they should publish 10 interesting novels (like the ones on here!) and please everyone a little bit. Maybe we should all run the publishing industry! :)

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
Where else are you going apart from Warwick, Ellaroni? If you come to York we should meet for coffee.

Oxford, where I've never been. I'm seeing an old friend from my Irish students days, she's normally based in New Zealand, and she's doing research in UoW this term - so I'm doing a long weekend where I first see Coventry and then we do a day trip to Oxford. Plus I plan to go to the Imperial War Museum in London before my flight back - I hear they've changed their exhibits since I was last there in ...maybe 2006.

I haven't been to York - but it's on my list of places to see when in England. Especially now that I'm in the middle of teaching the viking era to my students!

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
Reading this thread only reinforces my thoughts that agents and publishers need to branch out a bit. Instead of looking for the next big one thing like HG or HP or DIVERGENT, they should publish 10 interesting novels (like the ones on here!) and please everyone a little bit. Maybe we should all run the publishing industry! :)

Hear hear:D

writersherry

Sherry_Soule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fictionwritingtools.blogspot.com
I think Sci-Fi (aliens) need more love! ;-) I just finished a romantic YA science fiction novel and it was so much much fun to write.

Now, I'm back to writing the next book in my darker, angst ridden YA series. Sometimes it is fun to write something totally different than what you're comfortable with. I may trying writing a NA romance next.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I love cult novels!

The one I'm currently working on is a YA horror set across two timelines, so it's pretty complicated to outline, about an abused girl who escapes her insane cult-leader mother who preached that her family were Satanists. She gets taken in by her grandparents, only to discover that her mother might've been right all along when she discovers evidence from her mother's youth.

Cult books FTW!

Mine is kinda-sorta a double timeline, but one consists of excerpts of the novel/memoir the MC's mom is writing about her past.

I love yours, Beth. If you need a beta, I volunteer as tribute.

Missus Akasha

I'm a monster. I'm a saint.
Registered
Reaction score
I am writing a southern gothic horror retelling of the Juniper Tree. My main character was a reigning beauty queen with once a promising future. She was really good at lying and pretending. She was used to fooling the judges and the audience at her pageants, but now that she is a sole witness and survivor of gruesome murders that as shaken her Louisiana parish. Now she has only one judge and a jury to put on a good show for after an attention-seeking lunatic claims ownership of the murders. He is a liar, just like she is, but she knows the truth and she knows that if she tells the truth, everyone will think she is just as crazy.

The truth is a tree took her boyfriend's life one bite at a time and scarred her face (her only ticket she had out of her godforsaken southern town) and took her eye. So she will lie. She has to lie to keep herself from going insane. She has to lie because the truth is her boyfriend deserved it and she deserved it too.

And one of the victims' boyfriend comes to her front porch claiming that he knows she is a liar and so he forces her to become his companion to seek out the truth, but she plays along to keep him close and she lies because he is the only person who can look her in the face and not flinch. As they uncover witnesses claiming there is a monster lurking in the swamps and woods of Louisiana, they uncover dark secrets and magic and cults centered around it. But what he doesn't know is that the darkness secret of all belongs to her.

BelleCeline

Registered
Reaction score
Oh my goodness, there are so many things I want to quote! I agree that the industry should not try to publish the same book a hundred times, and look for more original ideas like the ones stated herein. I LOVE that so many of these are just contemporary (which has never been my cup of tea) and yet, they appeal. And of course, I'm a sucker for all the ones about ghosts and cults...I'm attracted to the darkness. Speaking of which, KateSmash, both your ideas sound fantastic, but I am really lusting for that story about a girl who helps the man who robbed her family on a treasure hunt!!! This thread really is confirmation that there's so much more to be had out there than what the big money people are looking for. There should be a thread where we can post a list of everyone's published (available to be read) work, in one easy place, because I am dying to read some of these ideas!

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the very early stages of writing a contemporary inspired by Peter Sutcliffe, the notorious Yorkshire Ripper who killed prostitutes and students in the 1970s - specifically, how he was caught.
It was totally by accident - some policemen found him parked in his car with a known prostitute, and his plates were taped on with black tape (what an idiot) so they ran them through the system and found they were false. Meanwhile, Sutcliffe was trying to dump evidence before they took him to the station. His car was full of evidence too, and he admitted to the murders soon after.

What kickstarted my new YA WIP was the fact that he was caught with a woman who, almost certainly, was destined to be his next victim. She wasn't even suspicious of him - it could be said that she only survived by chance.

So my idea is about a girl who gets into a car with a stranger, and isn't suspicious, doesn't try to escape or anything, until the police stop them for dodgy plates and the man runs. She finds out he's a convicted murderer and she 'should have died' - as everyone tells her.
She was not harmed at all, but her world and her state of mind unravels as she realises that despite her straight-A grades, she wasn't 'clever enough' to work out the man was dodgy and not get in his car. It doesn't help that everyone is telling her she 'should have died', she's 'so lucky', etc.
She's already into horoscopes and fate and stuff, but gets even more into it, and when another girl dies swimming in the ocean in a freak riptide, the MC is positive it's all about balance - this girl shouldn't have died, she was a strong swimmer, it was a calm day - but she herself should've. She took the girl's place. She becomes obsessed with this girl she has never even spoken to.
The girl's brother is broken with guilt that he didn't save his sister, because he couldn't swim, and when the MC turns up to his sister's funeral saying she's a friend of his sister, he believes her and they become each other's anchor, both effed-up and guilty and trying to reason with death. the MC teaches him to swim, too, her way of trying to make up for his sister's death.

Basically it's a contemp YA about survivor's guilt and premature death and forgiving yourself :)

Last edited:

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the very early stages of writing a contemporary inspired by Peter Sutcliffe, the notorious Yorkshire Ripper who killed prostitutes and students in the 1970s - specifically, how he was caught.
It was totally by accident - some policemen found him parked in his car with a known prostitute, and his plates were taped on with black tape (what an idiot) so they ran them through the system and found they were false. Meanwhile, Sutcliffe was trying to dump evidence before they took him to the station. His car was full of evidence too, and he admitted to the murders soon after.

What kickstarted my new YA WIP was the fact that he was caught with a woman who, almost certainly, was destined to be his next victim. She wasn't even suspicious of him - it could be said that she only survived by chance.

So my idea is about a girl who gets into a car with a stranger, and isn't suspicious, doesn't try to escape or anything, until the police stop them for dodgy plates and the man runs. She finds out he's a convicted murderer and she 'should have died' - as everyone tells her.
She was not harmed at all, but her world and her state of mind unravels as she realises that despite her straight-A grades, she wasn't 'clever enough' to work out the man was dodgy and not get in his car. It doesn't help that everyone is telling her she 'should have died', she's 'so lucky', etc.
She's already into horoscopes and fate and stuff, but gets even more into it, and when another girl dies swimming in the ocean in a freak riptide, the MC is positive it's all about balance - this girl shouldn't have died, she was a strong swimmer, it was a calm day - but she should've. She took the girl's place. She becomes obsessed with this girl she has never even spoken to.
The girl's brother is broken with guilt that he didn't save his sister, because he couldn't swim, and when the MC turns up to his sister's funeral saying she's a friend of his sister, he believes her and they become each other's anchor, both effed-up and guilty and trying to reason with death. the MC teaches him to swim, too, her way of trying to make up for his sister's death.

Basically it's a contemp YA about survivor's guilt and premature death and forgiving yourself :)

Amy, this is brilliant. The Peter Sutcliffe capture reminds me of something that just happened in my own province -- I'll PM you the details because they're pretty gory, but I think it would be interesting for you as research.

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
Amy, this is brilliant. The Peter Sutcliffe capture reminds me of something that just happened in my own province -- I'll PM you the details because they're pretty gory, but I think it would be interesting for you as research.

Highway 16? One of the papers here ran a bunch of stories on it a few weeks ago.

And the story sounds absolutely terrific, A! Write write write!

BelleCeline

Registered
Reaction score
I'm with SpinningWheel! I think that story sounds incredible, Lady A! You caught my interest with the comparison to the serial killer, but I love the idea of her trying to justify another person's death...and, of course the relationship that will develop as a result!