A Different Type of Novel

happilyeveradrianna

Registered
Reaction score
I recently read Let's Get Lost by Adi Alsaid. It has four different characters all with their own full plot all tied together through one character, Leila, who got her own story at the end. Personally, I liked this style of multiple characters' separate stories with a common thread. For a while, I've had the idea to do something similar to that. Would agents or publishers, and more importantly, readers, respond to something like this? Or was Let's Get Lost a one-of-a-kind thing?

Last edited:

aspiringauthor123

Always swimming against the current
Registered
Reaction score
Agents and readers are interested in anything intriguing or new. This being said, if you go this route, be careful. Multiple POVs can get confusing and muddled, especially if the characters sound similar. Personally have always enjoyed well written multiple POV books! :)

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
It's not anything new; it's been done quite a lot. It depends on how you do it and how readers receive it--like aspiringauthor123 said, multiple POV stories can be a hassle if not done right.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
It's very common, especially in certain genres like epic fantasy. A Game of Thrones is a big one right now. The trick is making the voices distinct and not allowing the book to get bloated.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
Like others have said, using multiple characters pov is pretty common. The Shiver Trilogy by Maggie Stiefvater follows the main male and main female character. The Help (while not YA) follows several characters who all intertwine. There's a ton more, but these are just the ones that came to mind right now.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
It's not anything new; it's been done quite a lot.

Yeah, I've seen soooo much of this in women's fiction. So much of it that it was almost a relief to read a book that wasn't like this, back when I was reading a lot of women's fic. I can think of many non-women's fiction examples too.

happilyeveradrianna

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. The thing about it that was unique to me was that it was almost a collection of short stories more than a whole novel, like each section had its own plot centered around one character that moved on at the end of the section.
On another note, I like the challenge of writing multiple POVs because I think it helps me with both writing and empathy.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. The thing about it that was unique to me was that it was almost a collection of short stories more than a whole novel, like each section had its own plot centered around one character that moved on at the end of the section.
On another note, I like the challenge of writing multiple POVs because I think it helps me with both writing and empathy.

So linked short stories, like Olive Kitteridge?

Also maybe check out these threads: Collections of Interconnected Stories, Know of any good "novels in stories?"

Last edited:

cwschizzy

Eviscerate the Proletariat
Registered
Reaction score
Anything which can be done well can do well. I love stories like this. Agents and such likely would too.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I read Dandelion Wine recently and thought some of the stories were in a different time line than others. They were all in that place, but didn't quite follow in time. I think he intended the surreality though.