Names you want to see in YA! (Or how I learned to stop worrying and steal names from my friends)

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
So, I was reading the "overused names in YA" thread, and here I was thinking...what are the underused names in YA?

"But zoombie, isn't this just a cheap way to get a vast list of odd or weird names you can then steal and use for your own fiction?"

No! It is a cheap way for ALL of us to get odd or weird names that we can steal and use for our own fiction...

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
I just want people who use Asian or Asian inspired settings to research actual names and naming conventions so we don't keep ending up with a million and one Kira's or that one Japanese guy named Kim.

Come on, people. It's not that hard to research.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I like to pretend I have good names, but then I realize most of them are just foreign, shrug.

IdrisG

the wicked wit of the west
Registered
Reaction score
I use a lot of foreign names because I like to write non-American-born characters. I wish there were more of them in YA.

pandaponies

in ur boardz, correctin ur grammar
Registered
Reaction score
I have one! Amalia Ramirez, but she goes by Amy. :p She's born in (futuristic post-apocalyptic doesn't exist as we know it anymore) Mexico but is moved north to (previously "American" still English-speaking) communities at a young age and she and her mom picked an English nickname for assimilation purposes. She speaks a decent bit of Spanish in the novel. Because futuristic books set in sort-of-America need more Spanish. :D

DrunkenLilacs

Growing tipsier as we speak
Registered
Reaction score
Unisex names!
Or names that could lead to really cool nicknames. Like Edie for Edith, Marley for Marlene, Jules for Julian and such

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Unisex names!

I like Milo!

Someone use Milo!

Also, maybe this is because I've been playing a freakin bucket-ton of Exalted, but I like weird descriptive names for fantasy settings - assuming your world construction supports it.

Sagacious Fist!

Thunderous Kick!

Tiger Punch!

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
None of my characters are from America because all of them are from alternate world fiction.

I have a WIP with entirely Basque names. Someone should use those.

Nogetsune

Registered
Reaction score
I use a lot of Japanese names, admittedly, since a lot of my stories take place in fantasy versions of Japan or separate fantasy worlds based on Japan. I sometimes worry I use Japanese names too much for western audiences, though....

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
I love the names Fergus (M), Seren (F), and Angus (M), but probably going to use one or other for future baby names so haven't used them in any books! :)

Jperez6

Registered
Reaction score
When I was seven years old, I told my teacher that when I grew up I would name one of my sons "Pongo" (like the dog... someone watched too much Disney). Enter WIP, many years later, and I have a pale character named Pongo that has a lot of moles. God, I love writing.

ANYWAY... let's see some more wacky names. Not foreign, just different. Go ahead and name that character something like Mr. Pringle.

Last edited:

IdrisG

the wicked wit of the west
Registered
Reaction score
I use a lot of Japanese names, admittedly, since a lot of my stories take place in fantasy versions of Japan or separate fantasy worlds based on Japan. I sometimes worry I use Japanese names too much for western audiences, though....

So long as the story is relatable and the names of the characters are distinct from each other and relatively simple to remember, you shouldn't have a problem in my opinion.

Also, Khosszu, thanks! I'd love to see a few more Idrises floating around YA.