Size of Book/Cover for YA SF Novel

TR Dillon

Registered
Reaction score
I have decided to self-publish a YA science fiction story intended primarily for young teenage boys. I'm working with an artist to do original artwork for the cover. He wants to know what size the book will be, and also whether the cover artwork should wrap around to the back cover.

Does anyone have experience with this? What would be the typical book/cover size for this type of YA book? Also, is it commonplace to have a wrap-around cover, or is it OK just to have the artwork on the front cover?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
This may be better asked in the self-publishing forum, and I'll happily move it there, if you'd like.

The answer may depend on how you're getting it published. If through Lulu, for example, I believe they give you cover options and the size would probably be included.

If you want it to look like the average YA book, you'd want to go to a book store, the public library, or your own library (you're reading YA SF, right?) and measure the cover that best suits what you're looking for (hardcover, paperback?). This will also give you an answer on whether you think it's better to get a design for the front, back, and spine, or just the front.