"Old" People Writing for Teens V

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofia.e

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I was wrong. Ha! I think I'll stick with mine anyway. Thanks for the link!

Personally, I'm super excited for the next book. I love that series.

VeryFairy

I'm not a fairy.
Registered
Reaction score
I use a lot of older family names, a mix of made up names (very few) and names out of a baby name book.

I really dislike strange names as well and generally will call the characters with such names by only the first letter or skim over it completely.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
I tried an MG fantasy once (didn't go well) and coming up with names was a nightmare. I used a translator and evolved most of the names from Latin--not my most original thought, haha. Like Maleficius for the bad guy from "malum" which means evil.

Now I just go with whatever name sings to me. I write down names I like when I hear them and pull them out when I need a new character's name. Trying not to re-use names that have already been used a gillion times in other books and not naming characters after people I know (to avoid them thinking I wrote them into a book) is hard, yo!

Sage, I wonder sometimes if people are just labeling it MR for the very reason you say--that it's maybe a better sell or what a lot of agents are currently looking for. Actually, I would probably say I'm guilty of the same thing when I tried to shop an MS of mine as Urban Fantasy because paranormal was played out (although, in all fairness, it was a suggested from a trusted beta reader who felt my novel fit into that category because so much of it took place in Manhattan).

Anyway, I think the lines can be blurry re: some genres, so maybe just crit the query/storyline itself rather than worry yourself about the genre? Besides, sometimes agents (from what I understand) will take on a project queried as one genre and change it accordingly or based on later revisions.

Welcome Red. Self-doubt. Yep. Been there, done that. And still going...

I'm pretty confident most people look at agents' wish lists and slap on whichever label fits best. Personally, I've only labeled the genre of one query. I usually just said "Young Adult" and let the query speak for itself and the agent interpret it how they want. The bolded part in mel's post was definitely true for me. That was the one query I labeled, a Spec Thriller (the query/story that landed my agent). My agent had me revise to change it to Sci-Fi because she was worried it would be interpreted as less speculative and more dystopian and wanted to avoid that label entirely.

Magical realism is very distinct from fantasy. I don't understand why someone would query a book under the wrong label, since an agent will discern that straightaway.

I'm really excited to be working on this SNI (at what point does a SNI become a WIP?). I have the plot in my head, as well as a long game -- things I'd like to see happen if I wrote a sequel. It's a total 180 from the draft I just finished. That was a sort of contemporary/speculative hybrid, very small and introspective. This is a big ol' epic fantasy. I'm enjoying switching things up.

Stiger, your WIP sounds really interesting! I love a dark story. If you need a beta at any point, drop me a line ;)

Thanks!! I'll drop you a note when I finish the draft. Whenever that is, haha.

Last edited:

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
I have been feeling very down about my work. I've written a blog post instead of anything in the WIP.

Novels should be finished, right?

I have lots of unfinished novels. Or barely started novels.

I do know that there was a point when someone told me that I should push through and finish because learning to finish a novel takes different skills than starting one. And I think there's some truth to that. Still, I have a hard time working on something that I've lost passion for.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I have lots of unfinished novels. Or barely started novels.

I do know that there was a point when someone told me that I should push through and finish because learning to finish a novel takes different skills than starting one. And I think there's some truth to that. Still, I have a hard time working on something that I've lost passion for.

I entirely agree finishing (or even continuing) takes a different set of skills. For me, writing something through to the end when the SNI has lost it's shine was important to learn. I don't think I've ever finished anything that didn't have point that was just grind. That doesn't mean it was a bad story, or that I didn't love it, but more in the "worthwhile relationships take work" sort of way.

My approach has always been more workmanlike, so I'm sure lots of other folks will have very different experiences.

SoCalWriter

Registered
Reaction score
For me, this is my first time attempting to write an actual novel. In the past, I have only done short stories, both fiction and creative non-fiction, and limited (terrible) poetry. I find that I have all sorts of ideas, and I have pages and pages and pages of notes and ideas for my book, and I enjoy talking about it with my family, but I have the worst time executing said ideas. It's like, I'm so overwhelmed by all of it that I kind of shut down. I think if I could actually finish writing this all the way through, even just as a first draft, I would consider that one for the W column.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
For me, this is my first time attempting to write an actual novel. In the past, I have only done short stories, both fiction and creative non-fiction, and limited (terrible) poetry. I find that I have all sorts of ideas, and I have pages and pages and pages of notes and ideas for my book, and I enjoy talking about it with my family, but I have the worst time executing said ideas. It's like, I'm so overwhelmed by all of it that I kind of shut down. I think if I could actually finish writing this all the way through, even just as a first draft, I would consider that one for the W column.

Have you tried writing without all the notes and discussion? I've had ideas that I've been super excited about, but by the time I've done the research and written notes and delved into plot summaries and discussed it to death, I've, well, literally discussed it to death. The SNI isn't so shiny and new anymore. Sometimes it helps to run with an idea before you've done too much planning and see where it takes you.

The first manuscript I finished (see aforementioned MG fantasy) I was really into while writing. Like, 96,000 words into. I had several false starts before and that one just flowed out of my fingertips. Of course it was terrible. At the time, I queried a handful of agents and thought it was going places. Now I look back and cringe. But I needed to write it and finish it so I could learn from it. I'm not a proponent of writing something you don't love and believe in just to finish, but there is something to be said for pushing through and experiencing that feeling of "holy crap, I just wrote a book" for the first time. And every other time, but the first time you finally do it is such a triumphant feeling!

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
It's like, I'm so overwhelmed by all of it that I kind of shut down. I think if I could actually finish writing this all the way through, even just as a first draft, I would consider that one for the W column.

I'm not a proponent of writing something you don't love and believe in just to finish, but there is something to be said for pushing through and experiencing that feeling of "holy crap, I just wrote a book" for the first time. And every other time, but the first time you finally do it is such a triumphant feeling!

Totally agree with Stiger - don't burn yourself out on an idea before you write about it (and I say this as an insane planner/plotter). Finish. Even if it's just a big "and they all died. The end" FINISH.

Also, Red, your post made me think of this, which I consider one of those perspective-shifting reads. I've been writing (mostly badly) for two-thirds of my life, and I feel like I'm just beginning to see around that corner. Write this story as the story you have, until you're done with it (however it ends) and then write some more.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I think this would be my... something like seventh I've finished or something, if it does end up finishing. The finishing is not really the problem.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
I entirely agree finishing (or even continuing) takes a different set of skills. For me, writing something through to the end when the SNI has lost it's shine was important to learn. I don't think I've ever finished anything that didn't have point that was just grind. That doesn't mean it was a bad story, or that I didn't love it, but more in the "worthwhile relationships take work" sort of way.

My approach has always been more workmanlike, so I'm sure lots of other folks will have very different experiences.

True! There's also a big difference between being stuck in a project/not knowing how to fix a plot issue and losing all passion for it.

VeryFairy

I'm not a fairy.
Registered
Reaction score
I know someone who can't think about the book either, they say once they know the end it's no longer exciting to write so they pants it.

I'm a pantser as well, but since I'm on the last of a trilogy I find I have a lot of ends I have to make sure and wrap up. When I had all types of small notes and what have you I got too confused, every time I tried to write one thing I was thinking about another.
so I have done very specific scenes that I must write and I do not let myself deviate. I took a whole day and forced myself to organise it all. Now I only allow myself to see one scene at a time. I can not look at/think about or try and write anything else until said scene is finished. It's really helping me to get a lot of progress.
I've even had to go back and erase things that did not belong in my plot, but I know I put a lot of thought into the plot so I trust my past self knew what she was doing and follow the rules, (even though I forget exactly what comes next)

Also I've only written 2 novels so far and they have both been in the same series, and I have always been crazy about the idea. But I do not think I could finish a book I was not passionate about. I've never seen how people can do it, I would think it would be better to put that time into something you love. But I'm relatively new at writing novels.

Coffeebeans, I am going to print that out and stick it on my wall :)

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Going back to the magical realism discussion, Francesca Lia Block is a perfect example of someone who writes MR.

Yes, thank you! She's going to be the example I point to now. Even the stuff she writes that seems like it's going to be urban fantasy or paranormal (the stuff with fairies and magical creatures), it's still totally magical realism.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
I have a friend who was taking a class about magical realism, he loves Francesca Lia Block. Her stuff is on my too read list

Emmet Cameron

Registered
Reaction score
Missing Angel Juan might kind of be my eternally favourite YA book. That is all I have to contribute to this discussion. But yeah. That book. Kills me. Every. Damn. Time.

And it's like the fourth in the Weetzie Bat series, proving that sequels really can just keep getting better.

SoCalWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Francesca Lia Block is the reason I wanted to be a writer when I was younger. I had always loved to read, but after reading Dangerous Angels (Her Weetzie Bat collection), I thought, MAN, I want to be this chick. I want to have that kind of affect on people.

SoCalWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Also, thanks, CoffeeBeans, for the Ira Glass quote. It's great!

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com
I also wanted to say happy book release day to AbsoluteWrite's own Dorothy Dreyer!!! My Tethered Soul came out today, well technically yesterday as it's now Wednesday where I live, but either way I wanted to say congratulations to her! (Even if she never sees this as she's stopped gracing us with her presence as often as she used to.)

I'm here! I was actually in Denmark last week so I wasn't online, really. But thank you! Yes, book birthday on the 19th, and MY birthday on the 20th. ;)

ETA: Happy book birthday, Dorothy!

Thank you!

Magical realism: a genre where magic elements are a natural part in an otherwise mundane, realistic environment.

So, I'm thinking that maybe it's sort of like...Groundhog Day vs. The Mummy?

I love that comparison! *thumbs up*

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
Happy belated birthday, Dorothy!

I think I've had a little too much caffeine today. I can't focus on any one thing for more than five minutes. I'm bouncing between my WIP, AW, and WOC, accomplishing very little useful at any place.

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
What's WOC? I sat and thought about it for a few minutes but nothing's coming to mind!

It's WriteOnCon. There's a post about it underneath the stickies here. :) It's fun so far, but it's my first time participating. Sorry for the confusion!!

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
I've participated for several years. It's a free online conference with a lot of great workshops, vlogs, guest speakers from the industry, question and answer sessions, etc. There are agents, editors, publishers, authors, and all kinds of industry people involved. It's very helpful and I've learned tons. Plus, they have ninja agents roaming the SYW boards and if you are lucky, you might get a hit from one of them (I got PMd by one last year who requested my MS when it was finished--ultimately it was an R :( but still!!). But even w/out their presence, it's a great place to get query, first 250, and first 5 pages feedback from another online community of writers (a lot of them are from AW :)). I've already gotten some great feedback and I'm only doing my first 250 of WIPs.

It's a really cool experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.