Not open for further replies.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . . I'd rather pay a bad agent (if I had one) to do half a job, than to ever deal with a POD company.
If you are ever paying an agent (other than by way of a percentage of royalties on a book that has been signed by a legitimate commercial/trade publisher), you are already in deep doo-doo.

--Ken

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . . So, I'm sure most agree an agent is more than valuable, she/he is there to protect the writer. . . .
True. But you know what? If a publisher expresses interest in an unagented manusript, the author can contact an agent for representation.

Stick around, eh? Lots and lots here on AW.

--Ken

P.S. Granted, I am an idiosyncratic micropublisher, but I look at unagented manuscripts, and occasionally publish one. I had not intended to publish any more by anyone other than myself or immediate family, but a couple of promising books came along. I cannot be the only one open to such opportunities (and paying royalties and all costs of publishing).

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
1. A bad agent is worse than no agent at all.
2. An agent that you hire (that is, pay up front rather than from a percentage of royalties) is a bad agent.

Yes, you can get an offer from a legitimate publisher without an agent. And with an offer from a legitimate publisher in hand, getting a useful agent is not terribly difficult.

I would avoid any of the POD vanities.

While I seriously doubt that the rise of electronic self-publishing will seriously inconvenience the major publishers, I can easily see it putting places like Author Solutions out of business.

No matter where you are on your path, from rank newbie to multi-published pro, I presume you're already working on your next book?

Status
Not open for further replies.