WriteOnCon online kidlit writers' conference

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
I crit at Write On Con as if I'm here on AW but I always say "This is just my opinion so take what you will and good luck revising." It definitely is on the gentler side but I prefer honesty over Thisisamazing!!! :Shrug: Just my thoughts

maybegenius

might be a giant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maybegenius.blogspot.com
Yeah, in my experience, conference go'ers tend to range from seasoned veteran writers to brand newbies who are just learning the ropes, so I tend to be a little cautious with my critiques at cons.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, in my experience, conference go'ers tend to range from seasoned veteran writers to brand newbies who are just learning the ropes, so I tend to be a little cautious with my critiques at cons.

This. Not everyone's had time to develop their thick skin yet. Plus the conference developers have been on Twitter reminding people that bluntness might not be the best option. (And I saw some of it lurking around the forum last night.) So some people have been left cold by some crits already, obviously.

When in doubt, go for the positivity sandwich. Something nice - constructive criticism - something nice and/or encouraging.

maybegenius

might be a giant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maybegenius.blogspot.com
I think you can usually tell who's been around the block and who's really new at writing professionally based on their posting style and/or the current quality of their writing. But yeah, I tend to lean more toward gentle suggestion.

ladybritches

late to the party
Registered
Reaction score
I just signed up, and I found a few of you in the 250 word thread and did my best to just critique as honestly as possible.

My crits probably seem too gushy, but it's because I gravitate toward the stories I like, or the stories I feel have the most potential, and to which I feel the writing is already quite good. So it's not that I don't want to rip your work apart and stomp on it, it's that I can't spot the weak parts the way more experienced critters are able to. :D

vintagegirl

Registered
Reaction score
I'm attending for the first time this year, and really looking forward to it. I'm northpolewriter over there, but the avatar's the same.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are things recorded so that participants can watch the interviews, etc. after-the-fact? Unfortunately, I simply can't be available during the day.

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. The videos are up all week i believe.

And missesdash, put your first 5 up. People are pretty nice over there.&good luck!

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I'm KellyN over there :)
I'm going to post my first 250 words later tonight after another edit.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm Sydneyd over there :) I think I may be Sydneyd everywhere. I haven't crit or posted anything yet. Still working up the courage.

Krissy Reynolds

Once Upon A Dream
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so glad I found this!! Never heard of it before and sounds like a ton of fun as well as a great source of information/feedback.

Sometime early tomorrow morning I'm going to put my query up and maybe my first 250 words/5 pages (which is basically my prologue or as I call it, Chapter 0).

Last edited:

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I just put up the first 250 words of my YA. First time I've posted like this online. It's hard to be brave ;)

But it'll be interesting to get some feedback on my writing. Some people have some really awesome stuff up. You know awesome in the "I really hate that guy" kind of way ;)

MaraValderran

Insert something clever here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
My crits probably seem too gushy, but it's because I gravitate toward the stories I like, or the stories I feel have the most potential, and to which I feel the writing is already quite good. So it's not that I don't want to rip your work apart and stomp on it, it's that I can't spot the weak parts the way more experienced critters are able to. :D
I am the same way. I have a bad habit of reading only what draws me in--which means if it doesn't draw me in, I stop reading it and don't say anything about it. Some stories just aren't my cup of tea and with others I'm not sure what turns me off. So I go for the stuff I like and try to give pointers where I see them, even if it is just personal preferences.

I think you can usually tell who's been around the block and who's really new at writing professionally based on their posting style and/or the current quality of their writing. But yeah, I tend to lean more toward gentle suggestion.
As someone who is definitely new to the whole publishing end of writing, I appreciate that. I think you can tell the difference between people who've been at this for a while and people who are just starting out by the knowledge too. I had to look up what active and passive voice was at one point, but that's probably a weak example. I'm curious as to the differences in posting style though. What sets the newbies apart from the vets?

Nicole River

with the weird fowl in her userpic
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be there. Even though I'm technically on vacation up north. And tomorrow I have a 60km or so bike trip planned so I'll be checking in at stops, with my cell.
My SO thinks I'm nuts. :D

My nickname is (un-creatively enough) Nicole River. Just posted the query to be critted. Will do 250 words and then back to the campfire.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm excited for the ninja-ing tomorrow! As for the critiques, I still like AW better. The critiques here aren't as sugar coated as *some* there.

Also, I have the same username there. :)

MaraValderran

Insert something clever here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I am confused as to how the ninja-ing works. Do they post critiques in the forums we've already been posting in? Or is there another forum that will be opened up tomorrow (which is what it sounds like) that we'll need to repost our queries and samples in?

maybegenius

might be a giant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maybegenius.blogspot.com
I'm curious as to the differences in posting style though. What sets the newbies apart from the vets?

It's usually just in the way they ask questions or what they seem to already have a grasp of, for me. When you've been in the game a while, there are just things that you know from being around and hearing the questions asked numerous times, so when someone asks them, it's a pretty good indicator that they're new at the whole thing. Which is exactly what conferences are for! There's also a nervous attitude about newer writers, a kind of "I know this isn't very good but I'd really like your feedback but please don't be too hard on me okay I love you thank you!!!"

Then there are the people who are really newer professional writers but who've been told all their lives that they're REALLY GOOD by people who don't know very much about writing/publishing, and that comes across in their attitude, as well. They're the folks who have to defend every. single. critical. point. other people make about their writing. It's kind of a "yes, but..." or "well you just didn't get what I was trying to do" attitude, rather than saying "thanks for the critique." It's basically their way of saying "my writing is fine and I really just wanted you to tell me it's good." Which is a newbie marker because ALL writers are constantly improving, and denying that means denying that you still have a lot to learn.

There will always be critiques that you aren't going to take, and that's part of being a writer and knowing your own style. The difference between newbies and vets is newbies get really affronted or defensive. Vets just shrug it off and say "thanks."

That's why I tend to frame my critiques with some kind of praise and use language like "my suggestion is..." rather than "you need to do this." It's much easier for someone to swallow when you make it their choice.

RE: Ninja agents. Based on my experience last year, they usually open new sections especially for the conference. They'll post a schedule for when Ninja agents will be prowling the forums, and you can post your work in the special "conference only" forums during those times. They'll definitely explain to you where you should post.

ladybritches

late to the party
Registered
Reaction score
I got a few critiques in today, but chickened out on posting anything of mine. I won't be around during the day tomorrow, but I'm hoping I'll have time to do more crits in the evening. Hope you all get ninja'd. ;)

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I posted my first 100 words for Gennifer Albin. I saw a few other AW faces in there too (Smiley).

Now to just hope some of us get picked...may the odds be ever in our favour?

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
I agree. I saw one Ninja in the YA 250 words section.

*bites fingernails nervously*