What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?, issue 2

Jinsune

Registered
Reaction score
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. I don't get why it's a YA book when the main character is an adult, but oh well. Maybe it's the tone of the narration?

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Neverwhere was in the adult SF section when I bought it, so maybe this is one of those cases of reclassification? Don't remember any YA characters.

Just started BEFORE I FALL, and it's reminding me of Edge of Tomorrow with fewer aliens.

Oh, and I saw The Giver, and now I wish I'd read it first, because I hear it's not exactly a faithful adaptation. But in '93 I was busy with grad school, so not in the right age group. :)

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
reading HUMAN.4, a sci-fi YA about a boy who wakes up with downloadable information in his 'skin' :) Kinda like FEED, I guess. I'm excited to start.

Also, Fuchsia Green - so interesting. I grew up in the 90's and we were required to read THE GIVER as part of our school reading. :) It is an amazing book. You should definitely pick it up when you get a chance (also…I LOVE Before I Fall and have read that one about 50 times :D)

chocowrites

scaredy cat
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I thought I should mention on this thread: I haven't been reading much YA lately, but I recently finished Erin Bow's Plain Kate and it was really amazing, so if anyone is looking to read a melancholy fantasy with a talking cat and lovely, lyrical language to boot (although, a warning: this book will probably make you cry) I highly recommend it! Ah, such a good book :)

I've got the hook-ups. ;)

I've actually only ever read Sabriel, so this is motivation to read the whole series.

I remember especially liking the second book, Lirael, maybe cause working in a dangerous library with a magical dog for a friend is like ultimate wish-fulfillment for me haha! The Abhorsen series (along with His Dark Materials and Tamora Pierce and Diana Wynne Jones books') were my childhood fantasy favorites (ahh, the nostalgia) so I'm really hoping Clariel will be up to par !

Last edited:

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
I adore Neverwhere, but the main character is a grown-up man with a job and a fiancée, so I'm surprised they'd classify it as YA?

I didn't like Before I Fall at the beginning, but it REALLY grew on me and I was sobbing like a baby by the end. Interested to hear what you think, Fuchsia.

eparadysz

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I've seen Neverwhere called YA before, though I think a lot of Gaiman's books cross over in one direction or another.

I just read Midwinterblood, which was great, but I didn't really see the YA in that. I guess if the Printz and Carnegie people did, I'll take their word for it.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe they got confused because some of Gaiman's other stuff is YA.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Oh, I thought I should mention on this thread: I haven't been reading much YA lately, but I recently finished Erin Bow's Plain Kate and it was really amazing, so if anyone is looking to read a melancholy fantasy with a talking cat and lovely, lyrical language to boot (although, a warning: this book will probably make you cry) I highly recommend it! Ah, such a good book :)

I remember especially liking the second book, Lirael, maybe cause working in a dangerous library with a magical dog for a friend is like ultimate wish-fulfillment for me haha! The Abhorsen series (along with His Dark Materials and Tamora Pierce and Diana Wynne Jones books') were my childhood fantasy favorites (ahh, the nostalgia) so I'm really hoping Clariel will be up to par !

It's holding up so far.

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Matthew Quick's FORGIVE ME, LEONARD PEACOCK, and though I'm only a few chapters in, it looks to be a brilliant read. I love the voice.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Reading ISLA, of course. Surprised I haven't finished it yet, but I didn't have much reading time over the weekend. So far, it's my favorite Perkins book.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Reading ISLA, of course. Surprised I haven't finished it yet, but I didn't have much reading time over the weekend. So far, it's my favorite Perkins book.

The Canadian release date, apparently, is tomorrow! I drove an hour to the nearest bookstore on the 14th to buy it (and do other stuff, so it wasn't totally a waste) to find out that it comes out on the 19th here -.-

So I'll be getting it tomorrow probably :)

Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com

There's apparently a goodreads ARC giveaway until August 28, with 20 copies and about 3,000 requests so far. Might be worth entering if you live in the US.

I finally finished the book, and it's pretty good. I'm looking forward to the fifth book, which is a sequel to Abhorsen.

Now I'm reading Feed by MT Anderson, and the story is okay, but the voice sucks. It sounds like the worst attempt at teenage voice I've ever seen. All the extraneous "like"s are in the wrong spot, and if someone says "unit" or "null one more time I'm wall-banging this sucker.

Last edited:

Velvet27

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to read The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa. I really enjoyed her Iron Fey series, but I have to admit... really struggling with this one.

The MC is not appealing to me on any level, so I'm sensing this one is going into the discard pile :-( I hate doing that!

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
Ohhhh, you could be right. I didn't put that together, but it was all extremely weird and suspicious, like something or someone was being set up in that whole sequence.

[SPOILERS REMOVED]

The more I think about it, the more I think you could be right. But the book is very subtle. So. Creepy.

Yeah, I don't know for absolute sure if Drew was drugged the night of the full moon. I personally thought he was, but it's definitely ambiguous whether he 'just' dissociated. I don't think Keith gave him anything then, but, like you, I found the whole drugging scene very disjointed and dramatic - Keith saying "you won't remember anything, so don't be scared", and Win/Drew describing Keith as very hurt by him saying, "You're the meanest of all! You're the one who drugged me!" That definitely made me think the drugging was supposed to have more significance. I also feel like Keith must've known on some level because he was basically more of a parent to Drew.

Can you tell that I'm spending my money on an expensive English degree? :tongue

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Just started PRISONER OF NIGHT & FOG. Curious to see how this is pulled off…1930s, mc is the 'darling niece' of Hitler who meets a Jew and falls in love.Okay well at least that's the jacket summary. We'll see.. I'm only on page 20. :)

Periwinkle

Registered
Reaction score
I adore this book! It's one of my favorites. :)

I have a stack of books from the library to get through by the end of the summer:

The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen
More Than This by Patrick Ness
The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
Currently reading Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo. Only a few chapters in, but enjoying it so far. The Prologue especially was a real grabber - read it in Waterstones and it MADE me buy the book.

... My own willpower or lack there of is unrelated to book buying.

BMajor

Probably judging you.
Registered
Reaction score
Currently reading THE SELECTION - Kiera Cass - as I know a few others in here have mentioned. Got it for free and I have to say.. I'm enjoying it so far. Some parts could be worded a bit differently I think.. but I really do like to whole caste system thing. Makes for an interesting read :)

sofia.e

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished THE ABSOLUTELY TRUE DIARY OF A PART-TIME INDIAN. I didn't end up loving it as much as I thought I would. Even though it was in first person, the narrative seemed distant. A lot of heavy stuff happens but I ended up feeling disconnected from most of it.

Next up is Jenny Han's TO ALL THE BOYS I'VE LOVED BEFORE.

Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
I just finished reading Scott Westerfeld's new book, Afterworlds, and something really bothered me. The protag, who is underage, drinks a lot, and responsible adults who should really know better seem to have no problem just handing her a beer.

Westerfeld spends a lot of time in Sydney now, where the drinking age is 18, so maybe he just forgot? It just seems really weird to me.

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
Matthew Quick's FORGIVE ME, LEONARD PEACOCK was good. The ending was probably very disappointing for many readers. I'm okay with it.

Just started Abigail Haas' DANGEROUS BOYS.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished THE ABSOLUTELY TRUE DIARY OF A PART-TIME INDIAN. I didn't end up loving it as much as I thought I would. Even though it was in first person, the narrative seemed distant. A lot of heavy stuff happens but I ended up feeling disconnected from most of it.

I always thought the narrative was distant because of the heavy stuff. It's how the MC deals with things. It made me more interested in the character, actually.

The Canadian release date, apparently, is tomorrow! I drove an hour to the nearest bookstore on the 14th to buy it (and do other stuff, so it wasn't totally a waste) to find out that it comes out on the 19th here -.-

So I'll be getting it tomorrow probably :)

Boo to the delayed release in Canada! How are you liking it, Becca? I appreciate the fact that it's more about establishing a relationship and the things that happen within a relationship instead of the build up to a relationship, which seems much more common in YA.

Yeasayer

see you on a dark night
Registered
Reaction score

A lot of heavy stuff happens, but so does a lot of whimsical Middle Grade-type things. That was my problem with the book. At times, it felt very MG, but the content was often not appropriate for an MG audience.