Who to kill?

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I feel like this is the quintessential "If you weren't a writer, you'd sound crazy" question.

I know lots of folks really enjoy offing characters, but I am pretty sparing with it. I feel like an impactful character death is one of those things that I really love in a good YA. Meanwhile, in the SNI, I have four characters on the theoretical chopping block.

My thought process goes:
- who do I need alive at the end of the book/for the resolution
- what does killing that character gain me plotwise?
- what does killing that character do for the MC?
- will the reader care?

I have both the MC's parents (smuggler father, estranged mother) and two of the smuggling crew (MC's LI and the LI's older brother). I feel like I need the father at the end, the mother is too small a character to matter, and the reader is only somewhat invested in the brothers.

You kill-happy writers, teach me your ways :Hail:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Make the reader care more about the mother, the LI, or the LI's brother. If it were me, I'd make the reader care a lot about the LI (they probably should anyway), possibly strike up some friendship or pseudo-sibling-esque relationship between the MC and the LI's brother, and make the relationship strong between the two brothers. The LI's or the brother's death would work in that case, affecting multiple characters that we care about.

However, I only see you answering two of your four questions.

Who do I need alive at the end of the book: The father
Who will the reader care that I killed off: So far nobody, except maybe the father(?), but this is changeable.

The questions are excellent ones. What are the answers? We can't know that based on the info we have here.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Also (*covers the ears of the guys in my avatar*), sometimes a death just isn't right for the book.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Sage, as usual, you're right ;)

I was hoping other people had a better system for deciding who dies (and possibly a broader selection system...)

I think someone reading will like the LI - he's clever, mouthy, and devoted to the MC's father. Downside to killing him, the MC will have only known him for like a week. The LI's older brother would be wrecked if his brother died, but that's not really direct enough to carry a lot of weight.

The brother and the MC don't exactly get on (she bit him the first time they'd met) but the LI would probably turn to/blame the MC if his brother died, so drama, at least?

The mother is a question mark. We've never actually seen her, only heard about her when the MC and her father talk about her. She's got a pretty big secret that'll be revealed, and the MC would be upset to hear she'd been unfairly blaming her mother for the last decade, and now can't right that. That feels like a big, early in a novel kind of death. It's so open-ended.

I could kill the father, but I don't know if it'll get me much. He was missing for the start of the story, and getting him back was the first complication. Killing him off seems wasteful. I think a reader would like him, but I can't picture anyone crying over him. In addition, the whole time he was gone, the MC was all "If he's dead and I have to sort this on my own..." so she'd hardly be lost...

This is why I never end up killing anyone!

ETA -- HAH! I was about to say. You've got Murderer's Row right there... The MS is all on-the-run/outlaws/and such. It seems like only so often I can have people mention it's a dangerous life, before I really need to kill someone...

Last edited:

casualrungal

Registered
Reaction score
This thread made me laugh (or at least smile at my computer screen). A system for killing off characters? That's sort of morbid and brilliant.

Then I started thinking about some of the YA novels I've read, and there does seem to be a lot of death that occurs. Hmm. I think it has to do with playing up angst and drama and OHMYGAWDSOMANYFEELINGS and all that good stuff.

It does seem like this can backfire, though. I didn't read the Divergent series, but I know what happens at the end of the last one and that it annoyed many readers because it felt random/unnecessary. Again, I didn't read the book so I don't actually know.

I have read books where the death of a character just falls flat, and it's kind of embarrassing for the author. Like, he/she clearly meant this to be a major moment with lots of emotional heft, and so when it doesn't work, it really demonstrates a lack of skill.

I'm worried that my WIP will have a similar moment. A secondary character commits suicide and I just don't feel like it has the desired effect in this draft.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Although, Moffat is actually all about deaths that aren't deaths. The I'm-dead-but-he-saved-my-consciousness-somehow, everybody-was-supposed-to-be-killed-but-really-we're-in-stasis-somewhere, I-was-killed-by-being-sent-back-in-time-and-living-my-life kind of deaths ;)

/Doctor Who derail

The MC's known the LI for a week, but is it during a majority of the book? Because as long as she has that strong attachment to him that many books give us in a short timespan, we'll feel it too.

(I know I keep mentioning this R&R I'm doing in these threads, but related subjects keep coming up!) This editor I'm doing an R&R for asked me if I'd kill a character off (which surprisingly had not happened in the main storyline) and, of course, I was thrilled, but she wanted me to amp up a relationship between the victim and another character to "really pull on the reader's heartstrings." They get about 5K to develop a relationship because that is all the time they have where both characters are together. It's like 2 hours in the book world (but they were talking online "offscreen" before that). A week seems like forever! ;)

I also think that having repercussions of the LI blaming the MC for his brother's death, particularly if it's not at the very end but going into a crucial phase where they need to trust each other, would be pretty dramatic.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I once did a very detailed analysis of why a certain character had to die at Joss Whedon's hand in the movie Serenity. So I totally believe a system can be used.

Of course sometimes you're just sitting there staring at the screen because you just killed off your favorite character and it was beautiful and you can't take it back, but you weren't planning on it and don't know what to do now.

Last edited:

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
This thread made me laugh (or at least smile at my computer screen). A system for killing off characters? That's sort of morbid and brilliant.

#writerproblems...

I have read books where the death of a character just falls flat, and it's kind of embarrassing for the author. Like, he/she clearly meant this to be a major moment with lots of emotional heft, and so when it doesn't work, it really demonstrates a lack of skill.

I'm worried that my WIP will have a similar moment. A secondary character commits suicide and I just don't feel like it has the desired effect in this draft.

Exactly! someone could die just to kill someone, but that doesn't have to mean anyone feels anything, and sometimes, it's cringey

The MC's known the LI for a week, but is it during a majority of the book? Because as long as she has that strong attachment to him that many books give us in a short timespan, we'll feel it too.

It's a solid half. He's around in the beginning, but he and his brother are lurking around the house, so the MC assumes they are also bad guys (hence the biting, and she breaks the LI's nose the first time they actually meet...) She isn't sure about the whole attachment thing, since she hadn't really considered romantic relationships much, but that's going to start turning soon.

The LI might not so much blame the MC if the brother died. If the LI died, the brother would blame her. The brother is more likely the one I'll send into the fire at the end, since he's more of the follow orders sort, but I could twist it the other way to kill the LI. Choices, choices...

It's cool that she wanted to kill the character with the thought that it would amp up the drama. Sounds like really helpful perspective.

I once did a very detailed analysis of why a certain character had to die at Joss Whedon's hand in the movie Serenity. So I totally believe a system can be used.

Of course sometimes you're just sitting there staring at the screen because you just killed off your favorite character and it was beautiful and you can't take it back, but you weren't planning on it and don't know what to do now.

Too soon to talk about Wash, too soon. (I'm guessing you didn't mean Book)

Also, just to hop on your derail-train, this is my single biggest Moffat peeve. All build up, telling me how something is really going to hurt, and then, oh, no nevermind, it's cool. Also, re: Falls No More, I desperately wanted to see 9's face, hearing that...

Underailed - A couple of MSes ago, I had the villain shoot a really likable minor character who was helping him to get back at the hero. It was a small space, lots going on, bad guy waving a gun, cool. Shot this guy dead, and I was all "!!!!" in front of the keys. Betas were just "yeah, didn't see that coming, but at least it wasn't X,Y or Z..."

Maybe I'm just bad at killing characters...

Last edited:

what?

Registered
Reaction score
Stakes are getting higher in YA fiction. Looking at a list of "best" first sentences, about half of them feature the words "kill" or "death".

If you really want to surprise your readers, there is only one person you can kill:

your protagonist.

But you must kill him or her not at the end, but somewhere in the middle, because killing the protag at the end will dissapoint the reader.

If you can pull that off without resorting to vampires, zombies, or other expected undead, you are gonna stunn your readers.

I did it in two of my books ;-) Good luck!

Last edited:

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
If you really want to surprise your readers, there is only one person you can kill:

your protagonist.

I've never seen this done in a way that didn't make me really annoyed. I'm sure there are ways, but if I kill my MC, just to finish the story with someone else, I won't have gained much...

Second part - I am not killing anyone for 'surprise'. I'd like to kill them to show that the story's universe is a dangerous place.

I am pretty impressed you managed that twice though...

what?

Registered
Reaction score
just to finish the story with someone else
No, the dead protagonist must be alive at the end of the book and gain his true love etc. After all (s)he is the protagonist, you can't just switch the tale to someone else.

Robin Hobb did it in one of the Apprentice novels: to escape from prison (or execution? I don't remember), Fitz had to die and get buried; to survive, his soul was transferred to his dog and later transferred back to his own body which was dug up after attention had left the grave (sorry, only vaguely remember the story, but you get the idea).

Hobb let the reader in on what was going on, so it wasn't a dramatic shock to the reader, but you could tell the same story from the point of a character (a lover being devastated over the death of the protagonist), so that the reader really believes the protagonist is dead and is completely surprised, and then you surprise him with a believable tale of how he actually did not die.

George R. R. Martin on the other hands truly kills his protagonists. It works because he has an ensembe cast, some members of which survive, but he really takes out some of the people I loved and identified with, such as Ned Stark. Martin is treading on thin ice there, because the outrage at the characters' death can quickly turn from fascination at a gritty tale to annoyance at the author. I for one was only mildly appeased by the continued adventures of Daenaerys and John.

Anyway, you can do it and it has been done in popular works.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
No, the dead protagonist must be alive at the end of the book and gain his true love etc. After all (s)he is the protagonist, you can't just switch the tale to someone else.

Robin Hobb did it in one of the Apprentice novels: to escape from prison (or execution? I don't remember), Fitz had to die and get buried; to survive, his soul was transferred to his dog and later transferred back to his own body which was dug up after attention had left the grave (sorry, only vaguely remember the story, but you get the idea).

Hobb let the reader in on what was going on, so it wasn't a dramatic shock to the reader, but you could tell the same story from the point of a character (a lover being devastated over the death of the protagonist), so that the reader really believes the protagonist is dead and is completely surprised, and then you surprise him with a believable tale of how he actually did not die.

George R. R. Martin on the other hands truly kills his protagonists. It works because he has an ensembe cast, some members of which survive, but he really takes out some of the people I loved and identified with, such as Ned Stark. Martin is treading on thin ice there, because the outrage at the characters' death can quickly turn from fascination at a gritty tale to annoyance at the author. I for one was only mildly appeased by the continued adventures of Daenaerys and John.

Anyway, you can do it and it has been done in popular works.

Then the OP would surprise the reader with a believable tale of how the protagonist didn't actually die because of dog soul transfer ... x2?

OP - Maybe the older brother? It's far enough removed so it's not the main characters, but it'd have impact on the main characters?

Lord of Chaos

Let Chaos reign
Registered
Reaction score
If the character is important enough to carry through the book, it needs to be significant to the reader when they die, that's the best advice I can live. Figuring out who you need at the end is a good start (it's why Hagrid survived in Harry Potter, JK Rowling needed him to carry Harry out of the forest).

If the character you want to die isn't important enough, you need to make them more important, and that, unfortunately, I can't help you with.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
I've never seen this done in a way that didn't make me really annoyed.

As a reader, I totally agree with this. It almost always feels gimmicky to me, especially if the MC comes back via some soap opera method. Plus, if I invest all that time connecting to the MC and his/her story, it feels like a waste of time if the MC dies, leaves, etc. That's why I was so annoyed by Mockingjay, because I had invested in Katniss and it felt like she retreated so much that I could no longer connect to the story. Even though it was a realistic portrayal of PTSD and the disconnection was kind of the point, it frustrated me as a reader. (Spoiler in white. Although is there anyone who hasn't read THG series?)

I think your bullet points are really well thought out. If I were you, I'd also take a look at my MC's fears and see if I can make the death play into that.

spikeman4444

The snozberrys taste lke snozberrys
Registered
Reaction score
now you know what you have to do...burn the house down. Burn em all!!

J.S.Fairey

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. I think your questions are pretty spot on, tbh. I always try to have a reason for killing characters that isn't just #OMGFEELS&DRAMALOL. Generally, it'll be one of these:

It's the only way to end a character's arc honestly. (Did this with my main villain. He had such a tough life I wanted him to live, but it would have been betraying everything he stood for).

It proves to be a turning point on another characters arc (I killed one of my LIs because it took the element of control away from my MC, and changed the way she views the world).

The character is no longer needed in the story and I need to get rid of them ;)

I do like to kill at least one major character if the book is about a life threatening situation. Take the Inheritance series for example [spoilers ahead]: one of its (many) faults was that it was all too neat. There was this huge battle with the most powerful villain ever, and everyone bloody survived. Come on, Paolini. Come on.

If you're going to up the stakes, someone's got to kick the bucket. We, as readers, are trained to expect happy endings. One way to crank up the tension is to stop them expecting that.

maybegenius

might be a giant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maybegenius.blogspot.com
Based on experience, I'll forewarn you that if you shop a book where you kill the love interest, it'll limit the people willing to take it on, for a few reasons.

1) If an imprint tends to take on romance/romantic plotlines (either because they're a known romance imprint or that their books tend to feature relationships), they MOST LIKELY won't take it. Romance entails a HEA, and well... dead LI is not "happily ever after." This may seem minor ("well I'm not going to shop it as a romance"), but in YA, it'll cut out a LOT of imprints, even ones you wouldn't necessarily think of as "romance" imprints. So, be mindful.

2) "Marketability" - many agents/editors worry about upsetting booksellers and readers. Yes, really. I heard more than once that teenage girls would be "too upset."

3) You may come up against people who feel the death is gratuitous or for shock value, no matter how you do it.

So, just food for thought. This by no means should dictate not doing what's right for your story, it's just some insight based on personal experience. AKA, if you're going to do it, make sure it's the right move. Otherwise, like others have said... make readers care. Make them feel the loss.

Last edited:

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks folks - I really appreciate all the good help.

There was a lot in here to think about. The plan so far is to kill a minor character (named crew member, the main group is looking to collect) where I'm at now - halfway through - and let that sting linger for a bit. It hits the LI, the brother, and the father, and the MC gets to see the death up close and then feel some of the fallout since she failed her part of the escape plan.

I don't know how much I consider what is with the LI as a romance angle, just a guy her age who flirts with her. It might become a thing, it might not, but I would hate it if that became some sort of huge hurdle later if killing him is a faux pas.

Later on... well, who knows? The brother has gotten a lot of votes in threads :evil He's a good guy, and I think I can get people to latch on to him pretty well, so that would be good for the killing. (yeah, that sounds fairly crazy.)

Thanks folks, you're all excellent. May the writing fairy sit on your shoulder and whisper sweet somethings in your ears.

what?

Registered
Reaction score
I heard more than once that teenage girls would be "too upset."
Not only teenage girls, me too.

I don't have a problem with the protagonist or the LI dying. But the book has to be the kind of book where the protagonists die. Not that I have to know up front, but it is in the tone and subject matter.

I just recently read "Leaving Paradise" by Simone (?) Elkeles. At the end of the book the LI leaves for the sequel. I really, really hate that end. The book was totally fantastic up until a few pages before the end. Everything in the story pointed to the LI and the protagonist getting together. And then, on the last page, he just says he's not ready for a relationship and leaves.

The end just did not fit the book. To me it seemed as if the book had a happy ending, and then the author or the editor thought they could add a sequel and changed the ending to something totally jarring and wrong.

I was seriously upset. I even cried. Out of frustration. It was late at night, and I was just finishing that book and getting read to sleep, and then I had to deal with the protagonist all alone and lonely and sad. I strongly hesitate to buy and read another book by that author! That end made me distrust her. She's not taking good care of me, and I don't want to allow her to muddle with my emotions again. Because reading is an emotional investment for the reader. And you don't play with the emotions of other people. Ever.

There are other books where the couple don't get together or the LI dies or the protagonist dies or whatever, and it is great because it fits with the development of the characters, with the quest, with the moral premise, with everything.

So if you kill anyone – or rather: if you have anything happening in your book at all – make it flow from the story you are telling. It must come natural. Even if it is a shock, it must be a shock that feels right.

So don't construct that, but feel what is right. Good luck!

Last edited: