Overused Names in YA?

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like we should make a list of them. The names you see over and over again in YA, particularly for the heroines/heroes/villains.

lol I'll admit I'm bored which is why I make most of my threads :D

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
I'm gonna tar myself with this one, since it's my MC's name ...

but Isabelle ... and all the variations thereof.

bertrigby

Dysfunctional dystopian
Registered
Reaction score
Aiden, Haden, Jaden, Kaden...etc...

Bird names for girls like Lark or Wren.

Generally it irks me that so many YA characters have such obviously *odd* (to this British lady's ears) names, especially in contemp. I mean, sometimes people are just called Dave or Sarah.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Anything that can be shorted to Cat or Kat.

For a while, there were lots of variations on Eve.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Any girl's name that is subsequently shortened to a boy's name.

Charlotte = Charlie
Jaquelin = Jack
Andrea = Andy

Very tired.

pandaponies

in ur boardz, correctin ur grammar
Registered
Reaction score
Haaaaaaa my MC's name is Katie. It's a common name in real life!!!

Mine mostly have "normal" names. My current roster includes Katie, Amy, Chris, Evan, Naomi, and Jasmine.

kenpochick

I should be writing, not on AW.:-)
Registered
Reaction score
The thing is those are all really common names for kids of the time period a contemporary YA book would be about. I think many authors check the lists of top names for the year their character would have been born in and then use those.

I worked at my local Health Department years ago and just about every baby at that time rhymed. Aiden, Jaden, Caiden, Braedon, etc.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Anything that can be shorted to Cat or Kat.

As a Kat, I was super excited the first time I found a book with a Kat for an MC (considering I don't get mini-license plates or any other novelties with it on it). I am sad it's gotten so common that people notice though...

To be fair, Kate is an awesome name. ;)

Yes - and it gets mini-license plates.

I'll vote for one of my own. I can't believe how many Amelias (and particularly Mias) are in books right now.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I'd say Nathan and any permutation of it is overused.

I do think a lot of writers especially of contemp would take from 'most common name' lists... but do you really want your character to have the most common name of their generation? There are so, so many names to choose from and picking something less common might make a character more memorable.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Seems like I've seen a lot of Liams lately. I agree with Kat/Cat, though I forever love that nickname and will probably have a character with it someday.

Bufkus

Registered
Reaction score
Seems like I've seen a lot of Liams lately. I agree with Kat/Cat, though I forever love that nickname and will probably have a character with it someday.

Wow you read my mind. I was going to suggest these exact two names lol.

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I love Kate and Catherine, and its slightly less-used cousin, Caitlyn, but I must admit that I feel like I see a lot of them. Anna is another one - not Ann(e) or Annie, though.

As for dudes - I seem to see Noah around a lot.

romancewriter

Registered
Reaction score
I often refer to recently published books to see if the names I'm using are popping up a lot in whatever genre I'm writing. Not that I look extensively, make a list or anything but if I check out a dozen or so titles and if I find the hero in three of them is named Noah, then I'll go with something else.

My current fave is Brady and I've gone through the Tara, Leah, McKenzie phase. Trying Savanna with this one.

Yeah, I'm a little bored too. Time to get back to my ms. :)

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
The thing is those are all really common names for kids of the time period a contemporary YA book would be about. I think many authors check the lists of top names for the year their character would have been born in and then use those.

I worked at my local Health Department years ago and just about every baby at that time rhymed. Aiden, Jaden, Caiden, Braedon, etc.

^^^ I do this - looking up what's popular during certain years.

I also work with small children, and there are currently a gazillion Aidans, Isabellas, and Sophias.

spikeman4444

The snozberrys taste lke snozberrys
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know that there's any particular name I can think of, but it seems like normal names are avoided in favor of the creative Skylar, Scarlet, Heaven type of names that I guess make characters more unique??

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
I see more of it in sci-fi, but names like Kira irk me. You know, those names that try to sound exotic and convey a femme fatal at the same time.
And I've only seen this name in Divergent, but Tris bugs the crap out of me (no offense to any of you actually named Tris). Beatrice is much better.
It's really just the names that try to sound dangerous and mysterious. Kind of removes me from the story.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
I see more of it in sci-fi, but names like Kira irk me. You know, those names that try to sound exotic and convey a femme fatal at the same time.
And I've only seen this name in Divergent, but Tris bugs the crap out of me (no offense to any of you actually named Tris). Beatrice is much better.
It's really just the names that try to sound dangerous and mysterious. Kind of removes me from the story.

Tris is also used in Tamora Pierce's Circle of Magic books. She's a brainy redhead. I think she has weather powers...but it's been a long time since I read those books.

Tris's_Book

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
And I've only seen this name in Divergent, but Tris bugs the crap out of me (no offense to any of you actually named Tris). Beatrice is much better. It's really just the names that try to sound dangerous and mysterious. Kind of removes me from the story.

Ha! I don't actually mind Kira or Tris - and I don't think they're "exotic", exactly. I mean, sure, they're not run-of-the-mill, but Kira, for instance, reminds me of the common girls names (in England, at least), like Kerra and Kierra. Tris comes from Beatrice, too, so, obviously, that's a more "normal" name.

I must admit that, as a mostly contemporary reader, I struggle with sci-fi/fantasy names that are just "too different", esp. if I can't really pronounce them. Just to use this as an example, for me, from ASIOAF, Arya, Sansa, Cersei, Edmure, Lysa, Stannis and obviously names like Catelyn, Jon, Ned and Jaime are fine for me, because they're either "normal" names or very close to it, but I really struggle with Daenerys (though I found out from watching the GOT pilot a few weeks ago that I was pronouncing Daenerys right all this time and Arya wrong...), Viserys, Rhaella, Rhaegar...

And I looove Isabel/Isabella as a name, so it upsets me that I'll never 'be able' to name my kid that if I wanted, because there are just so many. My name is very common in my age group so I know the paaaain.

Last edited:

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Well there's probably a good number of people who associate Kira with Death Note.

I do think there's a sweet-spot for names that are unusual but still recognizeable as names. But then a lot of these names get overused in fiction but not in real life -- Alice, Violet, Jack, etc.