Overused Names in YA?

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
Ha! I don't actually mind Kira or Tris - and I don't think they're "exotic", exactly. I mean, sure, they're not run-of-the-mill, but Kira, for instance, reminds me of the common girls names (in England, at least), like Kerra and Kierra. Tris comes from Beatrice, too, so, obviously, that's a more "normal" name.

I must admit that, as a mostly contemporary reader, I struggle with sci-fi/fantasy names that are just "too different", esp. if I can't really pronounce them. Just to use this as an example, for me, from ASIOAF, Arya, Sansa, Cersei, Edmure, Lysa, Stannis and obviously names like Catelyn, Jon, Ned and Jaime are fine for me, because they're either "normal" names or very close to it, but I really struggle with Daenerys (though I found out from watching the GOT pilot a few weeks ago that I was pronouncing Daenerys right all this time and Arya wrong...), Viserys, Rhaella, Rhaegar...

And I looove Isabel/Isabella as a name, so it upsets me that I'll never 'be able' to name my kid that if I wanted, because there are just so many. My name is very common in my age group so I know the paaaain.

Arya. Or Aria. Variations of that are so overused that I had actually been calling a new character I'm writing by that name in my head, completely unconsciously, just because she matches a character archetype of 2 or 3 girls named Arya in other books. I quickly changed that once I realized and actually set a name for her. But yes.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
There are so many of these names that I've never seen in fiction! I've seen Wren only in a query (and I noticed because of my character Ren), and no Larks either. I know there was a lot of joking about Raven and variations of that when I first started writing, but I haven't seen many of those either.

bertrigby

Dysfunctional dystopian
Registered
Reaction score
I can think of at least two Larks off the top of my head. It's a quirky name so I noticed it crop up more than once.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
I can think of at least two Larks off the top of my head. It's a quirky name so I noticed it crop up more than once.

I wonder if this is more a UK thing than a US thing, because the only Larks I know are from Tamora Pierce and my own marinating fantasy WIP. Hmmm.

And I've never seen a Wren. Which I really hope isn't overexposed since that's the name hypothetical tiny human will have if/when they exist.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Wren is a really cute name, and I think the only place I've ever seen it is in the comic Baby Blues. Then again I am not a YA connoisseur...

Whitley

Registered
Reaction score
Kira/Kyra, especially in an Asian-themed fantasy or used as a name for an Asian character

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
I have a company named Aria.. >__>

The last three books I read all had a character named Malachi..

pandaponies

in ur boardz, correctin ur grammar
Registered
Reaction score
I know there was a lot of joking about Raven and variations of that when I first started writing, but I haven't seen many of those either.
Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way 4evr
preps&posers F*@% OFF!!!!

(hehehehe)
(if anyone doesn't get the reference... google it, be scarred/amazed/feel better about yourself forever)

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way 4evr
preps&posers F*@% OFF!!!!

(hehehehe)
(if anyone doesn't get the reference... google it, be scarred/amazed/feel better about yourself forever)

Okay, this is funny. A bit off topic, but I just saw this video, and since you mentioned the legendary Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way, I've got to share it.
I know most of you will get this, especially if any of you do any "shipping" or fanfic yourselves.
http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6986058/shipping

I'm still laughing at the "Don't Steal".

Justin K

Registered
Reaction score
Im so glad none of the names in my ya wip have popped up in here, I had to check.

IdrisG

the wicked wit of the west
Registered
Reaction score
The names Max and Finn can just...go away. Sophia, too. Same for flower names. Rose, Lily, Daisy--no thanks.

When I think of the name Wren, I just think of Even Stevens that aired on Disney when I was a girl.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, this is funny. A bit off topic, but I just saw this video, and since you mentioned the legendary Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way, I've got to share it.
I know most of you will get this, especially if any of you do any "shipping" or fanfic yourselves.

Haha! I thought you were going to link to this.

(I think Sherlock and Watson should be a couple, and I'm barely ashamed of it at all. :D)

pandaponies

in ur boardz, correctin ur grammar
Registered
Reaction score

LOLOLOL OH MY GODDDDDD

(I'm totally guilty. I ship the hell out of many lesbian pairings, including a couple of "crack ships" like KatnissxJohanna >__>)

edit: I'd seen that My Immortal trailer, also, and it is brilliant XD

Velvet27

Registered
Reaction score
Im so glad none of the names in my ya wip have popped up in here, I had to check.

:) I did the same thing.

I'd love to contribute, but I'm utterly horrible at remembering character names. I can go away from the book I'm reading for 5 minutes and forget their names...

what?

Registered
Reaction score
Acutally, I love heroines with Kat names. It is a beautiful name, and the repetition gives me the feeling that I'm reading about the same wonderful person again and again.

Please name all the female protagonists of good books Katherine!

If you're writing a bad book – or she's not a nice person –, call her something else.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
The only "Ren" I can think of off the top of my head is a guy - the main character from Footloose. (alongside a girl named Ariel, no less, IIRC)

I've never seen a Lark in a novel that I can remember, but I do like the name Larkin.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
When I hear Wren I think of the "Wren to the Rescue" books by Sherwood Smith.

You now what's really annoying? Every single female werewolf being named Luna. haha Seriously. I've seen this way too many times.

dancing-drama

Priestly Up!
Registered
Reaction score
In Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell the twins are called Cather and Wren - Plus, that's Catherine (Cather + Wren, as explained in the book) again.

I keep seeing Avery everywhere. Mostly in contemporary novels, but there's a real Avery epidemic.

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
I struggle with names a little because in the UK I feel we have less 'choice' of names than America - as in, particularly with boys' names, we tend to stick to the Biblical old favourites, whereas in the US you have things like Braiden, Hunter, Tanner, Decker etc. If I called my British LI characters those names, it just wouldn't fit.

As for overused names, I'd say Hannah, Lucy, all forms of Kate, Noah (and yes, I had a Noah in a previous ms), Jonah, Jake/Jacob, Aidan, and definitely Emily.

bickazer

someday we'll shine together
Registered
Reaction score
Anna, Nikki/Nicki, Aria for girls. Especially Aria. I'm soured on that name forever.

And I've noticed Tristan or variants thereof is becoming increasingly popular for LIs. Which bothers me because I kind of hate that name.

Also, Will. The worst thing is Will doesn't feel like a trend name, just one of those generic yet "meaningful" names writers have always picked and will always pick until the end of time.