Formatting when quoting/reading from book within book

Status
Not open for further replies.

emvireo

Registered
Reaction score
I put this in grammar syntax, but maybe I have better luck here. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

One of the characters in my novel is a novelist. Other characters quote his work, and in one chapter, he gives a reading with longer excerpts. I am struggling to format this material. All quoted material is fictional too as i wrote it.

In dialogue, (" ") when others are quoting lines from his books: do direct quotes of his material get an extra ' ' or appear in italics, or does it just appear in regular text? surely i need to allocate the lines to him.

During his reading, where he is reading from his own novels, how do i format this? - do i have to show with ' ' that it is a quote, as above, or just let him speak as normal, even it is a direct quote from his work?

there are also parts where people are simply reading from the books. and i include longer chunks of the novels. Do i skip the ' ' , use italics instead. How do the line breaks and indents go?

are there some good examples in famous works where these situations appear as a cross reference. - book parts within novels, etc.

thanks, EM

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
For quotes within quotes you use either "dialogue 'quote' dialogue" or 'dialogue "quote" dialogue' depending on whether you prefer " or ' for dialogue.

How necessary are these quotes to the story? It might be better to leave them out.

emvireo

Registered
Reaction score
thanks for your advice!

[/QUOTE]How necessary are these quotes to the story? It might be better to leave them out.[/QUOTE]

hmm, good question. sometimes they are in dialogue, so i need them to belong to the author- the speaker is affected by these words, or has them in mind. but sometimes i put whole chunks in - esp in a chapter in which the author is at a reading, reading from his own books- here, maybe i just use regular dialogue " ", as it is already established it is his work he is reading.

then there are parts where characters are reading chunks of the book to themselves, silently. are they italicized?

the quoted parts in general are very important, because there is some emphasis on how books affect their readers, and this writer character is doing so throughout.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't italicise chunks of text. Italics are surprisingly hard to read and I get tired much more quickly reading them. You could use indent to offset those chunks or just use narrative to explain the character is reading then use ' or ".

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
In dialogue, I would use single quotes within double quotes. (Or double quotes within single quotes, if that's what you usually use for dialogue.)

Outside of dialogue:

I knew I had a book on my e-reader like this...I checked. There are snippets of the novel the MC is writing throughout the book, and italics are used, even if it's more than a page. Otherwise it's formatted the same as the rest of the text--not indented, same font. No line break. Italics are the only clue. But as Buffyquirrel says, italics are really annoying to read after a while. But yeah, I've seen it done like this. (If you're wondering, it's The Siren by Tiffany Reisz, erotica published by Harlequin.)

Personally, I would probably offset it, maybe use a different font--and I'm sure I've seen it done like this before, too.

But whatever you decide, the publisher might change it. Just make sure it's clear for now.

Last edited:

emvireo

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you both. The publisher would certainly have their say, but what if I were the publisher? In Murakami's Wind up Bird, he does big chunks in italics without offset. I just checked. It didn't bother me much. But now i am somewhat confused about what wouold look best and be easiest to read. The publishing standards are not always the best options- they don't always improve a work.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Get hold of a style manual. Chicago Manual of Style is the one I usually see American friends recommend.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Block indent the excerpts, and then write it exactly as everything in a real book is written. Don't mess with double quotes, or anything else.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The standard academic formatting for quoted material, if longer than a couple of lines, is a block quote. You indent the entirety of the quoted material, every line, five spaces or so. You don't indent the first line differently from the others. You don't use any quotation marks or italics. And you set off the entire quote with a blank line, top and bottom. The Purdue OWL site provides a good example.

I've seen this done in novels, and it works fine.

caw

emvireo

Registered
Reaction score
thanks all. that's what i've done. the double quotes are only used when the quote is short - less than deserving of a separate block.

Status
Not open for further replies.