Not open for further replies.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
My next release is coming to stores December 11th. I'm STILL freaking about the opening and closing. STILL. Here's a little history of worry...

1. Wrote it at the Muskoka Novel Marathon over a 72hr weekend period. As I was writing it, I kept thinking, 'I need to delete that WHOLE opening before I submit this for judging. No way this would fly!'

2. At the end of the marathon, instead of deleting the extraneous opening...I kept it in. Shhhh. And I went ahead and wrote the ending in the same style. I bookended my novel in no-nos.

3. Judges loved it. Early readers loved it. I kept thinking, 'Yeah, but I have to remove the opening and closing still.'

4. Submitted it to my agent on a whim. She was working on placing a different manuscript at the time. I thought, 'might as well see what she thinks...but I'm sure that opening and closing will be nixed.'

5. She loved it. She didn't say, "BUT YOU HAVE TO DELETE THAT OPENING AND CLOSING!" Not one bit did she say that. In fact, she liked the bookends. A lot.

6. She found a home for my novel! YAY! I waited for the publisher to say, "BUT YOU HAVE TO DELETE THAT OPENING AND CLOSING. WE JUST DON'T DO THAT IN NOVEL WRITING!"

7. Two editors and nobody suggested cutting the bookends. Cue the Bill & Ted guitar riff happiness!

Now to explain the opening and closing. I panned in to my story. I panned out of my story. Basically with the suggestion of IF THIS WAS THE MOVIE OF MY LIFE...

I thought that was a major no-no. But I did it...and every single time I tried to say, "Yeah...but that obviously needs to go." I was met with, "No it doesn't. I like it..."

Did I get away with murder?

And a question for others... Have you gotten away with things you thought were no-nos in your writing?

(I swear, I thought those pages would eventually end up on the cutting room floor).

ETA: My novel, Burn Baby, is a young adult contemporary novel. And to lend credence to the opening and closing, I made my narrator a hopeful future movie director. I was making excuses for what I thought of as an unacceptable device in my fiction...

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
You aren't getting away with a no-no. You wrote an opening and closing that work for the story you told. If it was a no-no, either the agent or editor would have set you straight.

Granted, someone who has been told their opening and closing DIDN'T work will undoubtedly have a hissy fit, at some point, but that's their problem, not yours.

Breathe. You're fine.

Reaction score
Now to explain the opening and closing. I panned in to my story. I panned out of my story. Basically with the suggestion of IF THIS WAS THE MOVIE OF MY LIFE...

I thought that was a major no-no. But I did it...and every single time I tried to say, "Yeah...but that obviously needs to go." I was met with, "No it doesn't. I like it..."

I've noticed a lot of critics (i.e. writers on writing sites) who have accepted certain mantras about writing do's and don't's. I take most of the comments about openings with a heavy dollop of skepticism because of that. I've seen very few critics deal with endings, but I imagine they're in the same boat.

Personally I prefer the "pan-in" effect to a novel. Some time spent with superfluous details (e.g. the weather, descriptions of surroundings, other menial details) is time well spent. They set the scene and set the mood which are important elements.

From the little bit you've said, I get the feeling that I'm not alone out there in that respect. And it sounds you've been brow beat on those elements so much you expect to see more of it when "breaking the rules."

Except you didn't break the primary, most important, if you don't listen to any other rules listen to this one, rule there is -- Write the story the way YOU like stories to read.

You followed that rule and ...oh my gosh ... it worked.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Both of your answers are really fantastic. Thank you both!
(-:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com

Well, not now that you've gone and blabbed about it on the internet, you haven't. Think cops don't websurf?

Geez... amateurs...

Anyway, as others have said, the reason people call certain things "no-nos" is because they're often poorly executed, or perhaps they were overused and readers/editors got tired of seeing them. Obviously, those particular things worked for your story or your writing style. Odds are, some readers will nitpick and whine about them - but you're the one with the publishing contract. Who wins that argument? ;)

Elly_Green

Daydreamer or Living Nightmare
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eratosmusings-erotica.blogspot.com
What works in one story, may not in another. If panning-in and panning-out worked in yours, I'd say CONGRATULATIONS! to making the right call. A lot of books that are beloved the world over have all sorts of literary and writing NO-NO's and yet, it works. Go with it and yes, Congratulations! :)

ssbittner

scientist, artist, writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ssbittner.com
I think that often when people spread advice on what not to do in writing, what they really mean is that technique/usage is hard to do well and will trip up many new writers. But things that are hard to do well can still be done well, and it sounds like that was the case here. Congratulations!

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Something like that isn't a problem if you do it well. I've read novels where the narrative is zoomed out at first, then focuses in on the point-of-view character. As long as it's clear and interesting, you're good. And it obviously was in your case.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Thank you all so much. When I read your replies I think, 'Yeah...that's probably what I would say.' We're always harder on ourselves than we are on others. I definitely would have said something like ONCE YOU KNOW THE RULES IT'S OKAY TO BREAK THEM IF YOU DO IT RIGHT or some such thing. It's true that if it works it's not a no-no. Man, I panicked about those bookends. I really dug them...and I was confident they'd be cut. So happy I got to keep them. Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.