Rejectomancy

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Thanks Sai and Michael. It's a bummer. The last one I sent there went 25 days, which felt like enough time to have a little hope, but not too much.

Oh well.

I can imagine...

The bright side, if you want one at the moment, is that I've got to think that story will find another (very good) home without much difficulty. But I suspect that's hard to take as much consolation right this moment.

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cosmicdriftwood.wordpress.com
Ouch that's a long time for them. At least you know that they seriously considered it, and anything that got this close at Clarkesworld will be an easy sale elsewhere.

I can imagine...

The bright side, if you want one at the moment, is that I've got to think that story will find another (very good) home without much difficulty. But I suspect that's hard to take as much consolation right this moment.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate being able to mope for a minute. I know I should think of it as a positive sign. I wrote it originally for the Dagan Bibliotheca Fantastica anthology, but now I think I'm going to need to decide between subbing it there and continuing to try some pro markets with it.

Ouch. Three rejections last night. And considering I only have four stories out...

Oh, ouch indeed. :Hug2: You have places for them to go now?

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
((((Hugs)))) for everyone.

Another totally dismissive R for Untied Shoelaces for me. :D

Ah well.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
One Buck Horror R, followed by Asimov and Shimmer. And it's not looking good for Stupefying, considering they just accepted roughly 9 submissions in the last week, some as early as 25 days out. Not a good day for me.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
3 days form from Clarkesworld (as expected).
3 days personal from Kazka. I don't agree with the editors' assessment of the problem with the story, but I appreciate his very specific feedback and it will help me better determine what else to possibly send there.

The first story is already back out. The second one needs a good home but I'm not quite sure where to send it yet. Neither is flash (I'm finally building up a bit of non-flash inventory).

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Rejections recently from:

Niteblade (form)
ASIM (a Stage 1 personal with some nice comments)
IGMS (the like-clockwork 30-th or so day form rejection)

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Analog and Apex rejections. Also, Writers of the Future posted results (including honorable mentions, for a submission I made in December), but no formal email. So that's like three R's.

Last edited:

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Writers Of the Future. I know that's SF and F, but is there any room at all for horror if it touches on SF or F? The site isn't clear on that, which likely means "no."

GreenRoom

brain in a vat
VPXVI
Registered
Reaction score
Analog and Apex rejections. Also, Writers of the Future posted results (including honorable mentions, for a submission I made in December), but no formal email. So that's like three R's.

Cheer up. The blog results posted for Writers of the Future were for the 4th Quarter (submissions made between Jul-Aug-Sept of last year). There was just a major delay in posting them to the blog.

So if you made a submission in December (which would be for quarter 1), and haven't received an email saying you've been rejected, you are still in the running.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Cheer up. The blog results posted for Writers of the Future were for the 4th Quarter
Oh, really? For some reason I find it as hard as heck to understand what's going on with that site. Thanks for the tip. Better update my Duotrope...

And O'Dandelo, I think horror sometimes qualifies as scifi and as fantasy. In which case, WOTF would accept it. I've only entered twice and have never read the anthologies, but from what I gathered they stick pretty close to the harder side of the genres than not. Horror might be a tough sell.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
1-day rejection from Lightspeed, so I subbed it to Daily Science Fiction. I really like this story, but it's a little strange so I can understand why it's having trouble finding a home.

Sea Witch

Stirring the word cauldron
Registered
Reaction score
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
<<Hugs>> to others.

Rejections lately from Foundling Review and Glimmer Train (obviously). Turned them around the same day and sent out a couple more.

I subscribe to the Alex Shvartsman theory of getting short stories accepted (I'm paraphrasing):

1. Be more prolific
2. Improve your writing
3. Don't take it personally, and get them back out the door.

So I've got 6 out right now.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Cheer up. The blog results posted for Writers of the Future were for the 4th Quarter (submissions made between Jul-Aug-Sept of last year). There was just a major delay in posting them to the blog.

So if you made a submission in December (which would be for quarter 1), and haven't received an email saying you've been rejected, you are still in the running.
Greeny! :Hug2:

Also, :Hug2:s for all the rejectioneers. Keep that chin up, peeps!

I had a 3 rejection day yesterday, all from pro markets.