2015 Writing Goals: Post Your Goals for the Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Great goals everyone! :)

Mine:

--Work with my publishing company to get a finished version of my novel, which is due for release at the end of 2015. Stay calm and centered. Accept criticism. Keep an open mind about whatever they have to say and try to learn from the entire process (this is my first book deal and I'm nervous!!!)

--Complete a tight synopsis and some sample pages from my next novel to submit to publishers by March and fulfill my contract. (and hopefully come up with a lot of new ideas to make this book GREAT)

--Complete another rewrite of my contemporary love story and start looking for an agent if I have time. If I don't, I'll save that one to focus on in 2016.

--Promote the crap out of my first novel, gain more twitter followers, and generally do everything I can to earn myself the attention I deserve.

--Get my writers website, goodreads page, Facebook, and blog up and running. (Everything is on hold until we get a final title)

...I think that's it.

Under contract to deliver a novel in May. Haven't started it yet, so there's that...

I feel you on that! I've got to pitch something in March, and I doubt I'm going to have time to complete anything by then. I'm hoping an awesome concept, tight synopsis, and some quality sample pages will be enough for now.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Oh my, I saw the 2014 thread and it went on for pages.

--Get book sold (probably out of my hands as it's via a agent, but I'd like to see it picked up by *someone*)

-- Finish other 2 books in the trilogy

-- Collect my really crappy short stories of yesteryear together in a volume and have it published through a small press

-- Have a go at self-publishing something just for the hell of it

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Land an agent for my memoir.

Currently, I'm working on two novels, one of which is partially written (about 32K words worth), the other of which will probably be a pair of linked novellas. Goal is to make substantial progress on one of those projects or both--preferably to either complete the one novel or one of the two novellas. That's prior to editing. (I'm a slow writer compared to so many of you.)

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Last edited:

jorodo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Mine is pretty much the same as 2014. Get one book under contract and a first draft of another finished. The only variance this year is I also need to learn how to properly promote the book coming out this spring :D

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
Finish revising book 1 and start submitting to agents... (hopefully land said agent and actually get somewhere)

Continue onward and finish the first draft of book 2

Lonegungrrly

Registered
Reaction score
R&R will be my life for Jan.

Polish 2 other WIPs into final drafts.

Submit ALLOFTHE things to ALLOFTHE agents.

Write one of the two plot bunnies that I have (probably for next Nov Nano with all the blummin editing I have to do!!)

friendlyhobo

Registered
Reaction score
-Complete novel first draft by may 18th.
-Start online serial.
-Keep my office clean :D
-Do nanowrimo for the 10th year in a row, actually win this time.

IdrisG

the wicked wit of the west
Registered
Reaction score
I had to consult The Synopsis Master List to decide what needs doing in 2015:

--Revise current WIP, Seer, and seek out beta readers by March 2015, for submission in June 2015 (1)
--Complete one short story and two novellas stuck in limbo for the past year, and then revise and begin submission process by August 2015 (3)
--Kickstart revision process on A Diamond for You from NaNo 2013, and then polish into final draft for beta readers by the end of October 2015 for submission in early 2016 (1)
--Complete new contemporary LGBT romance WIP, The Love Spares during NaNoWriMo in November 2015 for revision and submission in mid-2016 (1)
--Begin writing space opera WIP (possible serial) and YA fantasy WIP in earnest to be completed by late 2016 (2)
--Flesh out new plot bunnies for completion throughout 2016 (2)

The Big Bad Master List is 10 synopses long and I think these resolutions cover all of them. But there's a couple more I can't forget for 2015:

--Get an agent
--Get a publishing deal

Last edited:

Graylorne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paulhorsman-author.com
- Getting out Lioness in March,
- Getting some speed up on the standalone sequel, Broomrider
- Getting out a trilogy version of Shardheld in new cover
- Kick myself into translating either Shardheld or Lioness in Dutch (or both, shudder; I don't like translating)
- Deciding what to do with Revenaunt (Dutch contract ends, so I'm getting the NL rights back. Will I selfpublish, rewrite or just pull them?)
- Start something else.

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
1. Finish my fantasy novel and start submitting it to publishers. I also stopped submitting in 2014, because self-publishing just seemed the easiest route and less "painful" for me. I'm aiming to change that.

2. Finish my sci-fi series and self publish it.

3. Work on self publishing some of my backlist titles.

4. Write the sequel to my fantasy novel - the separate goal for that is to hit 50k again!

5. Come up with an new series idea for Siren.

6. Surprise my coauthor with Chapter 1 of our sequel... Shhh.

Who knows, these might change next month. LOL

Last edited:

J.R. Jackson

Registered
Reaction score
Writing goal

I find that if I set a goal to write 500 words a day, that I can finish my novel a lot faster. While this may not work for all, it does work for others. The kick is that when you commit to 500 a day you end up doing way more because you get in the 'groove'.

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
I'm sorta on a deadline, so I have to get the second novel done like fast cause I've been dawdling on it. Youtube is not my friend. So my goal is to write an hour each night to get it done. I have to get it done. Maybe I should just disconnect the internet? That's what catches me. sigh ....

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
My writing group now meets at a café for awhile and we write. No cell phones on the table. We just write. And it helps. Later next fall, we plan to go to a B&B to spend the night and write.

WhirlyGirly

Registered
Reaction score
1) Finish revising current WIP (by late January)
2) Query WIP
3) Write next novel
4) I let my freelancing slide last year. I would like to pick up more work this year. Maybe try writing a few short stories for kids' magazines.
5) Start travel journal. I hate journaling (as in, today I blah blah blah) but I always itch to express what I'm seeing on paper when I'm in a new place.

Altiv

Chasing the dragon...
Registered
Reaction score
- Don't be so harsh about my writing skills/Learn to accept criticism
- Polish my novel and seek some beta readers
- Polish my query and synopsis
- Get an agent/Publish my novel
- Get a job (Because I just finished University =P)
- Review my other two novels/Start another book

Last edited:

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
I've been ill for a while, so my first goal is to catch up on things I missed because of that - mostly work, some writing deadlines that I'd set for myself, and editing.

My goals for 2015:

• Finish first draft of Ghostslayer. Currently at 35k/70k.
  • Write draft for Demonic Pact, the sequel to The Soul Thief, which released this year. Edit it, and then submit to publisher.
  • Write draft for Angel Assassin, the third book in that series, edit and submit to publisher.
  • Work on my books that'll release this year, edits and such (in particular the Weirdville omnibus and Reflected)
  • Finish draft for a horror novel I'm working on
  • Revise The Sleeping Kingdom (YA Fantasy)
  • Revise Allegro Academy (YA Paranormal)
  • Start querying my YA paranormal novella
That's about it. I need to get the second and third book in the Angel of Death series out (so Demonic Pact and Angel Assassin), and then work on all my WIPs. The revisions are books I wrote more than a year ago, and in dire need of a few rounds of revisions.

I signed up for the "A Story A Week" challenge too. We'll see how that goes though!

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
For 2014 I set a word count goal, which I hit, but I'm not going that route for 2015. My plans for next year are:

• finish the first draft of my current YA horror novel
  • draft another YA horror I've been playing around with
  • revise an old fantasy novel into querying shape
  • as a follow-up to that last one, actually start querying with that fantasy novel
  • stretch goal: revise another old fantasy novel that needs a lot more help than the first one

So we'll see how that goes. I think I can pull it off.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
I'm getting excited for everybody! Good luck to everybody, for sure. :)

My goals. . . finish Cherry's r&r and get it back to the powers that be. Hopefully, get an agent/editor for that. And get an agent for Albert. That would be so great. And maybe, get back to my latest. I really miss it.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
My writing group now meets at a café for awhile and we write. No cell phones on the table. We just write. And it helps. Later next fall, we plan to go to a B&B to spend the night and write.
Great idea. Maybe this year I should set aside one night/weekend a month to go away and write.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to learn to write novels that aren't terrible, but I think we can safely assume that won't happen. :rolleyes:

K. Q. Watson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
In 2009 I finished writing my first novel. I put it through submissions and it got rejections and I trunked it. In 2014 I began to rewrite it. In 2015 I will finish the re-write.

Olga

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Finish and polish my epic fantasy. Start querying it.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Write 9 - 5 and that is it! No weekend writing, unless I'm on an editing deadline. Do NOT give myself deadlines to finish any new, as yet unplaced books! Go to the park with my children. Breath in my husband's scent and veg on the sofa, holding hands, even though I am itching to finish a scene. Remember there are other, equally enthralling things to do/places to go than those inside my own head.

Status
Not open for further replies.