Is it bad form to submit shortlisted stories elsewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abderian

Registered
Reaction score
A publication has told me they have shortlisted a story of mine, but that a final decision won't be made until the end of April. Usually, I'd wait to hear before submitting a shortlisted story to another publication, but this is a long time to wait. Is it likely the publication is expecting me to hold off on other submissions?

William Green

Registered
Reaction score
If I was in your situation, it would depend on where I wanted to send the story to.

Many literary magazines take six+ months to accept something and allow SS. I would feel comfortable sending my shortlisted story there. If the first place accepts me in April I can easily pull from the second. And if I'm rejected in April, sweet, I've got 4 months knocked off the next place I planned to submit.

I wouldn't submit to a magazine that could accept before April. I assume the magazine that shortlisted you is your top choice since you sent it to them first.

Last edited:

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
What's relevant isn't whether it's sitting in the slush unread or been shortlisted. What you need to know is whether all the markets involved accept simultaneous submissions (sending it to more than one place at once). If they don't, they will be unhappy if they find out you've ignored the submission guidelines. It's a great way to turn an acceptance into a rejection.

If they do accept sim subs, you can send it out to other markets that also accept sim subs. It may not be the best idea, as it means potentially missing out on your top choice of market because you were impatient. But you can.

Abderian

Registered
Reaction score
It's a semi-pro market, and they do accept simultaneous submissions or I definitely wouldn't consider sending it elsewhere. It's not my first choice of market at all. This story has been round the houses, but there are still a few publications that haven't seen it.

I'm just not sure what 'shortlisted' means. I've had stories shortlisted before but in the end the publication decided not to use them - four or five months down the line.

I suppose in theory this publication has no way of knowing if the story is already submitted elsewhere as it accepts sim subs. So they couldn't be justifiably miffed if I withdraw it before they make a decision. I'm not risking losing anything by sending it to other places while I'm waiting.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It's horrible form. If you don't want to wait, don't submit to a market that shortlists stories. Forget this story. Write others, and submit them. When you start worrying about how long it's going to take to hear from a story it's a sure sign you aren't writing and submitting enough stories.

Abderian

Registered
Reaction score
It's horrible form. If you don't want to wait, don't submit to a market that shortlists stories. Forget this story. Write others, and submit them. When you start worrying about how long it's going to take to hear from a story it's a sure sign you aren't writing and submitting enough stories.

Most markets don't state whether they shortlist.

Do you think writers should withdraw simultaneous submissions from other markets if a story is shortlisted at one of them?

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
totally bad form
don't sub it elsewhere
and a few months is not long when it comes to publishing
g'luck

Abderian

Registered
Reaction score
totally bad form
don't sub it elsewhere
and a few months is not long when it comes to publishing
g'luck

What if the story's already subbed elsewhere because the market accepts sim subs? Withdraw it from other markets?

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
What if the story's already subbed elsewhere because the market accepts sim subs? Withdraw it from other markets?

That complicates matters. Honestly, I'd probably just leave things be in that case. What are the odds the others are going to, too? Yeah, there's a chance. But I'd take it. And if it happens you can always contact this one and inform them, then. As of now, I wouldn't mention anything. My two cents. (In the future, just sub one story at a time. You should have a number at any given time so you can try different markets with different stories. It isn't a requirement. It just allows you to avoid situations like this. It also keeping things positive. Why sub one story to a lot of different places? One should be enough if it's good!)

Last edited:

Abderian

Registered
Reaction score
That complicates matters. Honestly, I'd probably just leave things be in that case. What are the odds the others are going to, too? Yeah, there's a chance. But I'd take it. And if it happens you can always contact this one and inform them, then. As of now, I wouldn't mention anything. My two cents. (In the future, just sub one story at a time. You should have a number at any given time so you can try different markets with different stories. It isn't a requirement. It just allows you to avoid situations like this. It also keeping things positive. Why sub one story to a lot of different places? One should be enough if it's good!)

Isn't that what simultaneous submissions are about?

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Isn't that what simultaneous submissions are about?

you missed my point. Probably didn't spell it out enough. What I mean is that why sub to more than one pub if you are confident in your story and have good hope that if you sub to some particular market you've researched it'll have a good chance of getting pub'd. At least enough so sending to others, simultaneously, wouldn't really be required. Sure, it may still be rejected. But again, go in there with a positive attitude with a good story to go along with that. You needn't do this if you don't want. many simul-sub. (And if you really wanna get critical, simsub'ing is sorta adopting a self-defeating attitude. Kinda how I view it. Bottomline: be confident. Write well. Sure you've got the second. Now work on the first.)

Last edited:

MothAnkles

Registered
Reaction score
What is the general consensus with contests? I've submitted a short story to like 5 contests all with deadlines this month or next- what happens in the off chance it's good enough to win more than one? Anyone run into something like this? Do you hold out for the more prestigious or higher paying contest that might have shortlisted you over a lesser one? Anyone experienced this?

MothAnkles

Registered
Reaction score
What is the general consensus with contests? I've submitted a short story to like 5 contests all with deadlines this month or next- what happens in the off chance it's good enough to win more than one? Anyone run into something like this? Do you hold out for the more prestigious or higher paying contest that might have shortlisted you over a lesser one? Anyone experienced this?

Bump

Status
Not open for further replies.