So what's for dinner?

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Forbidden Snowflake--how'd the stuffed pork filets turn out? It sounds delicious!

I steamed the spinach for a minute until it wilted. Then added pepper and alt. Chopped it.

Oven at 180°C/356F or fan oven: 160C/320F

Then some onion, garlic, mushrooms fried in the pan with some thyme added. Added 2 tablespoons of Brandy and the same amount of lime juice and a bit of butter... let it simmer until it was thick.

Then added the chopped spinach and some grated cheese (I used Swiss cheese) to bind it all together.

Filled the pork, then closed it and put it into the oven for 15 minutes. I've left it for 20 minutes, next time I'll try 15 since it wasn't even remotely pink anymore.

I had too much filling... so I just spread the filling around the fillet while baking it. It was really delicious :)

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
egg salad sandwich- the trick's adding brown mustard- give it a try

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
ice cream.
One night when we do take-out, the guys here can have whatever, but I'm going to take myself over to the local Yogurt place that has five different flavors of yogurt and fifty different toppings, and having my version of take-out. I'm not talking healthy, I'm talking yum!

Okay, this thread may continue now.

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so proud of myself. I cooked sauteed boneless chicken thighs, roasted vegetables and microwaved a side of brown rice for my family.

*pats self on back*

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Was cooking for myself only tonight, so it was a cheap chicken-broccoli pasta mix from a box. BUT, enhanced with some fresh snow peas and baby bok choy from my garden and one magnificent baseball-sized puffball mushroom from the lawn. Turned out truly excellent.

I'm going to be posting here about the wonders of good wild mushrooms in a few days. We're just entering the best part of the mushroom season, and there's a lot to be enjoyed. Puffballs are just plain excellent, especially the larger ones, when you get 'em firm and completely white on the inside. They don't taste like other mushrooms, but are a very pleasant difference, and work well with things like fish and other seafood. Often I just sautée them briefly in butter and eat them on toast. They cook fast; 30 seconds or so in hot butter does 'em up right goodlike.

caw

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
I need to see if our puffball mushrooms are the edible sort (the white ones, specifically, pretty sure the little pokey ones are not). If they are, I need to stop running over them when I mow.

Lunch was a BLT on a tortilla... sort of.

The amazing things: Homemade bacon, freshly made baconnaise (with said homemade bacon's fat), fresh green onions and lettuce from the garden, and a lovely yellow tomato from the Amish down the street (as down the street as anything, at least, this far into the woods).

The bad things: Homemade flour tortilla. Second time I've made them. The first time were ugly but functional, this time they were pretty but crumble if you look at them wrong. I think I might have had the heat too low, and it dried out the water and gluten? Not entirely sure, I'm not well versed in tortillas (yet!).

Last edited:

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Since I used up all my culinary creativity today on these bars
http://laughingspatula.com/pineapple-bars/ (substituted rhubarb and raspberries for the pineapple and they were divine!) it's boxed mac and cheese with sausages and salad for the main course - with the bars for dessert.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My haul from the nearby farm: corn they picked this morning, and some Methly plums (those really small, sweet plums that are only available from farmers because they don't ship or store well, and have a season of about 3 weeks). Also a caprese salad made with my own basil and a ball of mozzarella that was made yesterday. And maybe some slices of cold chicken if I'm really hungry.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Last night was going to be a leftovers night, but mid-afternoon, next-door neighbor came to door with a plate of home-made sushi for us. We are completely unfamiliar with sushi, but I thanked him and put it in fridge for an hour or two, and we did have it for dinner. It was delicious. Hours of work for him to make, and something he does only once or twice a year (and that he is obviously very good at).

I'm not good with raw fish, not even sashimi-grade tuna, and so did a quick saute of that in some grapeseed oil (only a few seconds on each side in the heated oil), and it was delicious, too. The wasabi sauce, well, that I can do without. (I loathe horseradish.) But that was in a separate little cup, so no problem.

The leftovers we did not have yesterday will become dinner tonight.

--Ken

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Y'all are too classy for me. I just fixed grilled chicken tenders, spaghetti (sauce from my freezer), fresh steamed broccoli, and a big salad with good things in it like black olives, garbanzo beans etc. And enough for a couple of days so now I can be lazy. :)

Last edited:

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sweet Italian sausage with onions and green peppers over brown rice. The only seasoning I use is some cracked pepper.

I cook the sausage in the large fry pan first, remove the sausage from the pan and keep it warm in the oven, then cook the onions and peppers in that same pan. The rice I microwave.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Bell peppers, stuffed with ground beef, mushrooms, garlic, onions and some parmesan cheese.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
So this winter I bought half a pork belly, even sent pics to someone here. I took like 4 lbs, and rubbed it down, hung it in my own basement, and made pancetta, start to finish.

Today I made a soup:

1 small cabbage head
1 lb pancetta
5 small "pearl" onions
1 shallot
3 cloves of garlic
1 cup half and half
2 cups beer
3 cups 1% milk
1 tbs fresh-ground black pepper

sautéed the pancetta, onion, shallo, and garlic a bit, then added the beer and let them simmer 15 min, before adding the cabbage, putting a lid on, and letting is sweat for another 10, then stirring everything. Cooked until cabbage was almost done before adding pepper, a bit of salt, milk, and cream.

It is damn good........

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score
Spaghetti aglio e olio. Made the spaghetti myself, from eggs and all-purpose flour. On the other hand, I used pre-minced garlic.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Dinner was a simple, rather bland, tuna/noodle concoction, enhanced with fresh snap and snow peas and some spinachy greens from the garden.

But lunch, ahhhhh, lunch today, for me alone, was a big green salad, exclusively from the garden, consisting of three different varieties of lettuce, ranging from slightly bitter to quite sweet, a big bunch of mache, spinach, orache, cress, mild mustard, a little frilly endive, salad burnet, a local spinach-related weed called lamb's quarters, arugula, and an herb called perilla, or shiso by the Japanese.

Mache is a really important salad green, weirdly called "corn salad" in the U.S., but has nothing whatever to do with corn. It is a cool-weather lover, slow to start, but ultimately producing a rosette of dark green spoon-shaped leaves 3-4 inches long, with a very fresh, delightful flavor. This is the first year I've had success growing it, starting in small pots and transplanting. The seeds are slow to germinate, and early plant growth is likewise slow. But once it gets going, it really goes. It would be a very useful thing for gardeners in the southern U.S. to grow over the winter.

Shiso comes in two forms, light green and dark red, has thin, rather papery leaves, and an unusual mix of bitter and sweet flavor, with a little bite to it. The green variety is slightly spicier than the red is. It is a favorite for use in sushi, so you might have eaten it and not known about it. But it works really well in a salad, too.

The salad was fantastic.

caw

Last edited:

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Sampled a treat called a "Temptress Egg Shake" at a retro ice cream parlor last night. Given the humidity, it was VERY much needed. :)

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Leek & Spinach Pie

(Some puff pastry topped with a leek, spinach, egg, cream sauce...and baked in the oven.)

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Homemade pizza.

Once you get the hang of making the dough, chopping up the toppings, it's easy and takes just about twenty minutes prep time (excluding waiting for the dough to rise), and ten minutes cook time.

And I use canned crushed tomatoes, spooning it right onto the dough then adding basil and oregano and chopped garlic to it. Or you could just used sliced tomatoes (which is what I'm doing tonight, since we finally have a bumper crop of them).