All Recipes for All Seasons! Let's have them!

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
So You Have a Bad Cold?

Long ago, before the birth of multimillion dollar drug companies, people still got sick. Back then there were people known as "the weird old herb lady that lives at the end of the block and has all of the cats."
When all else (leeches, scourging, starvation) failed, the survivors would make their way to the crazy lady and she would pluck some herbs and boil them and force the sick people to drink them. The people who survived that became the human race we have today. Considering over-population, I think the survivial rate was phenomenal.

(Ok, well maybe the Zicam had something to do with that.)

Here is the chest cold recipie straight from the great- great- ( hundreds of generations great) grand cat of the old herb lady who was mistakenly burned as a witch in 1632 (three days after that everybody in the village got a bad chest cold, covered themselves with leeches and died before the vampires got there and could do a proper job of it.)

Fresh herbs are better, but it is November so the instructions are for dried.

In a cup, measure 2 oz of rum, vodka or gin. Add 1 powdered ( crumple it up between your fingers) teaspoon each of Basil, Oregano, Red Clover, Peppermint, Spearmint, Chamomile and licorice root. Add1 oz water. cover lightly. Microwave until it steams ( almost boils). The use a spoon and mash the stuff until you get a kind of paste. Then, depending on your taste, mix the result with 16 oz of water and simmer for 3 min to make a tea. ( Yes, you can add honey or sugar. No Milk.) Drink 8 oz now and 8 oz in 6 hours. ( Drink regular tea, water and juice between the cold-tea).

If you don't like the tea, add a couple shots of liquor and drink with 7up. Remembering that soda will dehydrate you and you will need to drink water and orange juice.

This will clear your chest.

I will come back later with the kick *** chicken soup recipie that goes along with this.

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
Judy’s Tofu Parmesan

This is a great introduction to tofu for people that haven't tried it. I've served this at parties and people have asked for my recipe.

======================
Judy's Tofu Parmesan

1 package Extra Firm Tofu
½ cup bread crumbs
1 teaspoon garlic salt
Cooking oil
1 package frozen whole leaf spinach
½ of a quart jar of Classico Spicy Red Pepper Sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (12 ounces)
½ cup parmesan

Place bread crumbs and garlic salt in a plastic bag – shake. Slice tofu into ¼ inch slices, coat with bread crumb mixture.

Heat small amount of cooking oil (just enough to cover the bottom of your skillet). Brown tofu in skillet until edges are golden brown. Drain on paper towel lined plate. Set aside.

Defrost spinach and squeeze out water.

In an 8 inch square non-stick baking dish spread the bottom with a small amount of sauce, then layer tofu, sauce, cheeses until you have only enough tofu, sauce and cheese for the last layer. Layer in the spinach, finish with tofu, sauce and cheese.

Bake in 385 degree oven until hot and cheese on top starts to brown.

This is a very forgiving recipe. It can be doubled. You can add more cheese, less cheese, more spinach, skip the spinach, add a layer of fresh basil leaves, layer in drained fire roasted red peppers, layer in a very thinly sliced zucchini (microwave it first until almost done), choose your own sauce, skip browning the tofu if you are in a hurry, use a mixture of mozzarella and cheddar, use pepper jack and cheddar, etc. It can also be assembled the day before and baked at the last minute. You can use Firm tofu instead of Extra Firm but we like the extra firm the best. Main Course – serves 2-3 adults; side dish 4-6 adults.

Last edited:

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Momma Said Eat Chicken Soup!

So here it is:
Chicken Soup For Your Cold.

1lb of boneless skinless chicken cut into small chunks.

(ALTERNATELY: The carcass of the chicken that you cooked, picked over and is now sitting there with meat on it but not quite enough to make a meal for 2)

½ cup chopped celery

½ cup sliced carrots.

¼ cup diced onion. ( You can use 1/8 cup of dried onion)

1/8 cup diced garlic. ( You can use dried garlic, jar-ed garlic or even garlic powder ( 2 tsp) do not use garlic salt.)

1 tsp lemon juice.

½ tsp dill.

1tbsp dried crumbled Basil

1 tbsp dried crumbled Oregano

½ tsp chopped fresh cilantro ( or two pinches of cumin)

2 pinches turmeric

½ tsp paprika.

½ dried cayenne pepper. (Ok you can use a couple of shakes of chili powder or a couple shakes of dried powdered cayenne.)

1/8 of a sweet red-pepper diced and diced real fine.

1/8 cup olive oil

a pinch of black pepper.

1 cube of chicken buillion SALT ALERT! (you will need this if you used white meat chicken.)

A handful of egg noodles if you swing that way or a handful of brown rice if you swing THAT way.

Bring 8 cups of water to a boil. Add the olive oil and the chicken. Continue boiling for 10 -15 min. reduce heat to a simmer. Add everything else except noodles or rice. Stir in. simmer for 1-2 hours or until carrots are soft. Add salt if you need it.

Add noodles or rice if you want it. Cook on low until rice or noodles are edible.

Eat. Relax, Repeat. ( My Russian Father in Law claims that you have to add two shots of vodka to this. If you take my cold remedy you don’t need to worry about that.)

Puddle Jumper

Does anyone here know how to make Stuffing?

CORN CASSEROLE

½ cup butter - melted
2 eggs - beaten
1 (8.5 ounce) package dry corn bread mix
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn - drained
1 (14.75 ounce) can creamed corn
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Lightly grease a 9x9 inch baking dish
In medium bowl combine butter, eggs, corn bread mix, whole and creamed corn, & sour cream
Pour mixture into prepared dish
Bake for 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown

To double the recipe use a 9x13 pan and bake for about 55-60 minutes.

WVWriterGirl

Inked Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Here again is Ball Game Hot Chocolate, good for the kiddies and stuff. Make a whole batch, it keeps for an eternity.

Ball Game Hot Chocolate
8 qt. Powdered Milk
1 lb. box powdered sugar
22 oz. jar Cremora (not as good with other brands)
1 lb. box Hershey Cocoa Mix

Put in large container and mix. Add 1/3 cup of mix to a cup (styrofoam) and fill with hot water.

Amount of mix to a cup may need to be adjusted for use with a mug - this recipe was used for sale in a concession stand using a small-sized styrofoam cup, so it may be a little off for larger cups/mugs.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Puddle Jumper said:
Does anyone here know how to make Stuffing?

Grandma’s Famous Oyster STUFFING:

Buy a standard size bag of ‘stuffing crumbs’ from your grocery. Generic is fine. Some brands come herb seasoned.

If you really want to start from scratch, get a loaf of bread. Pepperidge farm is best. Toast it all. Then cut it up ( you know as best as you can) into ½ inch cubes ( kinda cube like ok?)

Also: Chicken broth(optional)

Jimmy Dean Mild Sausage roll

2- 3 oz tins of smoked oysters, or a 8 oz ‘cup’ of raw oysters ( Also optional)

½ cup white wine ( optional)

In a small bowl mix the following:

1 tsp each: diced garlic, basil, rosemary, oregano, and salt.

1 pinch each: black pepper, paprika, tarragon and savory.

½ medium onion diced

½ small sweet red pepper, diced.

Cover and set aside.

Take the turkey giblets. Boil in a cup (8 oz) water until cooked.

(Ok here it gets tricky. Some people use the giblets to make gravy; some people chop them up and put them in the Stuffing. If you are making gravy too, then set them aside, covered in the fridge until gravy time.)

Remove the giblets from the'water', reserving the broth, in a cup to use later. ( Note, you can use chicken bullion or broth too!)

Chop the giblets up fine. Set aside.

Dice the oysters, toss in with the giblets.

In a frying pan, crumble up ½ the roll of sausage. ( You can use the whole roll!). Begin to stir fry. When sizzling, add the oysters and giblets. Stir fry for 5 min. Add the contents of the bowl. Continue to stirfry for 5-10 more min ( or until it looks done, but not burned) Add the reserved broth, simmer for an additional 5 min. Turn off heat, add the wine ( If you opt out of wine, add water) stir well.

Empty your bread crumbs or stuffing mix into a big bowl, or the final baking pan. Slowly stir in the mix from your frying pan. Be careful to get the solids in firat, followed by the liquid. If it is too moist for your taste, stop adding liquid. If it isn’t keep adding liquid. (You can always add a tad more wine or water, but DON’T turn this into oatmeal or gruel)

After it is well blended, moist but not soupy wet, cover with foil and bake at 350 f for 20-30 min. Remove the foil for the last 5 min if you want it crispy on top.

Last edited:

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
You all are making me hungry with all the great recipes in here. Sorry I hadn't posted anything. I'm not good at measuring out recipes. I really need to learn how to do that. How do you all do that?
I usually put in whatever ingredient by instinct, mix, stir, cook and serve. You get the idea. I'll be fair and not mess up the thread without posting a recipe. Please excuse the non-measured out details. (So sad I know) This comes from my website.

Crawfsh Ettouffee

Make a roux - flour and oil (olive oil) and tablespoon of butter (not margarine) - and brown to a light brown color. Drop in some chopped white onions, chopped fresh garlic, chopped bell peppers (not too much). Sauté' the veggies.

Add water to the roux, a tablespoon of tomato paste to color. Don't make it too red, it won't look right! It'll look like spaghetti.

Stir to break up paste. Add chopped parsley, a few bay leaves, more garlic, lemon pepper, Tony Chachare's or any seasoned salt of preference, (Tony's is the best) black pepper (not too much) and cayenne to taste. I like it hot!

Bring to a good simmer, stir occasionally. taste often for preference of salt. You should start to smell the aroma of a Cajun cook in your kitchen.

Add crawfish tails. You can buy the crawfish tails already peeled and ready to cook. I usually do about 4 or 5 packs. I strain them in a colander before adding them to the pot. Keep in mind that you want to use as much of the yellow stuff as possible. (that's the fat) It's flavorful.

Stir in crawfish tails, cook for about 10 minutes or so. Add chopped green onions. (Lots) This makes this dish so good. Stir in well.

At this point, you should have a moderate thick gravy heaping full of seasonings and crawfish tails.

Keep in mind when you make your roux, the thickening of your gravy will be determined by how much flour you use. Too much can be pasty. You don't want that. But not enough can make a thin gravy.

Serve hot over white rice.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Mmmmmmmmm Soup

MMMmmmmmmmmm Soup:Coffee:

(This can be a vegetarian dish)

4 large fresh tomatoes chopped fine

(or 1-24oz can-drained of peeled or whole tomatoes chopped or stick them in the blender for 1 min)

1 medium yellow onion chopped fine

2 celery stalks cut into neat small pieces.

4 carrots cut into neat small pieces.

1 sweet red pepper cut into neat small pieces.

1 small summer squash or zucchini cut into neat small pieces.

1/4 cup chopped garlic.

1 leek sliced into thin circles. Use some of the green stuff too. Chop it fine.

1/2 cup red cabbage (chopped)

1 can of white beans (canneloni) rinsed

1/4 cup of barley

1 handful of spiral pasta (Save and add to soup during the last 30 min of cooking)

1/4 cup wheat or oat bran

½ cup finely chopped spinach

2 tsp each dried basil, oregano, rosemary.

1tsp each dill and parsley

½ tsp each ginger, turmeric, black pepper, paprika, cumin and celery seed

1 tsp molasses, honey or dark brown sugar.

1 tsp salt ( if you need to add salt.)

1 cup red wine

8-10 cups of water

(1 cup diced meat of your choice if you think you need it)

In your soup pot heat 1/4 cup olive oil or canola oil (or regular cooking oil but not peanut oil!)

Add garlic, onion, tomatoes, celery and carrots. Stir fry until fragrant.

Gradually add the remaining ingredients, saving the molasses and wine for last.

Add water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer 2- 3 hours or until veggies are soft. Add spiral pasta during last ½ hour of cooking.

Serve with a dark, heavy , thick bread. Toast it a bit.

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I made the cabbage rolls...WOW! My husband loved them. I did change the recipe a tiny bit. We aren't big fans of polish sausage so I added 1/2 lb. of hot italian sausage (removed from the casing) to the meat/rice mixture. Thanks, Carole! They were wonderful.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
threedogpeople said:
I made the cabbage rolls...WOW! My husband loved them. I did change the recipe a tiny bit. We aren't big fans of polish sausage so I added 1/2 lb. of hot italian sausage (removed from the casing) to the meat/rice mixture. Thanks, Carole! They were wonderful.
Cool! Mom will be thrilled to know this :) Now I am craving them!!

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Prosciutto Chicken Breasts

This is a simple, simple recipe for even the non-cooks out there.

4 chicken breasts
2 ounces prosciutto (paper thin dry cured Italian ham)
4 ounces of mozarella cheese (or olive tepanade, or pesto, or some fire roasted red pepper)

Divide the cheese into 4ths.
Butterfly the chicken breasts
Place the cheese on one side of the chicken breast & close

Take the prosciutto slices and wrap the chicken breasts (cover the whole thing). If you have extra prosciutto, add a second layer to the breasts. If you don't have quite enough don't worry about it,

Wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Put in the fridge for at least an hour.

Unwrap and grill on a hot BBQ until the prosciutto is crisp and the chicken breast is done (it takes about 10 minutes on the first side and 6 on the second on my grill - yours may be different!). These could probably be cooked in a 385 degree oven but I've never tried it.

I created this recipe after I got a huge box of chicken breasts on sale and we were getting sick of my regular recipes (there are only 2 of us).

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
OK, my neighbor called me at 2 pm today in a tizzy because she just realzied she had to take a snack to her daughter's scout meeting tonight, and had NO idea what to make. She needed suggestions, so I browsed my pantry and whipped this up in about ten mintues:

Peppermint Fudge

2 boxes semi-sweet baker's chocolate (16 squares total)
1 can condensed milk
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp peppermint extract

Put the chocolate and the condensed milk in a microwave safe bowl. Nuke on high for 3 minutes, stopping about halfway to stir. Once it's done microwaving, stir everything up until it's well mixed, and then stir in the vanilla and peppermint extract. Spread evenly in a foil-lined 8x8 pan, and stick it in the fridge until firm. Once it's hardened, remove from pan and cut into 1" squares. Pig out.

This turned out so good I'm going to make a buttload of it and include it in my annual Baked Goodies Baskets.

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
This isn't a recipe but it is a link for great veggie recipes.

http://www.justvegetablerecipes.com/inxbrc-page17.html

I've been using it when I have "something" in the fridge and I want something different. I've made several (5 or 6) of the broccoli and cauliflower recipes and they were all terrific! Tonight I'm going to try the Quinoa with Broccoli Rabe.

Judy

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
BAKED ZITI (Includes veggie alternative!)

1 -28oz can of peeled tomatoes (If you want, you can buy a jar of pasta sauce and skip this step) Empty the tomatoes into your blender and hit puree. Give it 60-90 seconds. (If you do not have a blender use that thingie you have to mash potatoes and smash those tomatoes into sauce)!

1 lb of Sweet Italian Sausage, ground beef, or extra firm tofu

1 Box of uncooked Ziti (pasta)

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. (ok, you can use canola oil)

1 tsp molasses or brown sugar or honey.

1 tsp dried basil (or 1tbsp of fresh chopped basil)

1 tsp dried oregano (or 1tbsp of fresh chopped oregano)

1 tsp dried rosemary (or 1tbsp of fresh chopped rosemary)

1 tsp dried onion flakes (or 1tbsp of fresh chopped onion…more if you like onion)

2 tbsp of fresh chopped garlic (or you can use the chopped that comes in the jar in the fresh produce section..or if you must, garlic powder)

1 pinch each of black pepper, paprika, thyme, salt and cilantro.

6 oz of low fat or fat free ricotta cheese ( most of an 8oz container)

6-8 oz of low fat part skim grated mozzarella cheese. ( most of one of those bags)

2 tbsp of parmesian cheese….optional

1 bottle of red wine.

If you use sausage, boil it for 10 min, remove from heat, and slice into chunks.

In a large pot, boil water. Add ½ to ¾ of the box of Ziti. Cook until tender, remove from heat and drain.

In a frying pan (preferably an iron one) warm the olive oil. Add your sausage, using a fork to crumble it up while you stir fry it, about 9 min or until the sausage isn’t pinkish. (If you use ground beef or extra firm tofu, crumble them into the pan then stir fry them until browned.)

Now add the tomato sauce, molasses, basil, oregano, rosemary, onion, garlic, black pepper, paprika, salt, cilantro and ¼ cup of the wine. Stir and simmer, simmer and stir. Give this 20 min. on low heat, covered to keep the flavor in.

In a large lasagna pan (yes, the one you use to make brownies in on the cold, cold days…13x9x3 it should be.) Put the sauce mixture in. Add the ricotta cheese and all but a handful of the mozzarella cheese. Stir, stir, stir.

Gradually add the cooked Ziti. Fold in well. ( Stir, stir stir)

Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese and the parmesan if you decide to use it.

Bake at 350 for 20 min or until the cheese is bubbling.

Remove from oven, let cool. Serve with a spinach salad.

OH OH OH!!! If your kids won't eat a spinach salad...take a bag of frozen chopped spinach and crumble the frozen spinach intothe baking pan as you add the sauce. They will suspect, but they won't stop eating!!

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
In my real life were my name is not Weren Cole, I am a trained Chef who has recently stopped managing restaurants more or less because of the physical strain and the desire to move onto other avenues of my life. Despite my current affliction against being in the restaurant I do still have passion for food, so, if you have any questions about how to throw a party or make something in particular, I can be of service.

I don't really like to write out long recipes for people who don't know how to cook (I just find that it takes a lot more explaining than when I tell one of my cooks to emulsify something) but I will give you a menu for a five course meal:

The first thing you need to realize about a five course plated dinner is that it is actually more like 7-8 courses, but only 6-7 are presented at the table. Think of it as italian style eating, bread is a course, salad is a course, yada yada

Start:
First thing for a party in which the dinner is plated and served is that when the people arrive you must two things for them: Beverages and Hor'dorveurs.
Start with a couple selections of wine (Beujalais is a good winter red, fresh and fruity) and at least two "snack" sized bitables

Duck Confit on crostini with reduced fig syrup
California Sushi Role with pickled ginger wasabi and soy sauce
-these are good for the holidays because the sushi will bring people back to warmer times while the duck and fig is a reminder of the holiday season

Then every one sits down, and the bread comes out. . . serve bread in moderation as there is a lot more food to come

First taste- Before people start eating in earnest it is appropriate to send out a very small appetizer called a mouse boush (I don't think that is spelled right) It should be light and palate pleasing, not heavy and flavorfull.

Hallowed half Roma Tomato stuffed with pickled shallot, lump crab meat and julienned english cucumber

Next Comes the soup. . . depending on the weather one should determine whether it will be vegetable based or legume based. . . I am lazy so I will say it is cold but not wintry and make a veggie based soup

Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Bisue garnished with creme fraiche and fresh chopped cilantro

Next comes the salad- always choose fresh mixed greens as opposed to iceberg or romaine. . . it is classier and tastes better

Maytag Blue Cheese crumbled over greens with honey balsamic vinaigrette with julienned granny smith apples and toasted candied walnuts

Now we start getting into entres. . . don't kill them with starches, they have already had bread and will be eating desert. . . every one loves beef, though I would stay away from chicken, to plain. . everyone eats lots of chicken, if you are going to throw a party might as give them something a little different

Parmesean Crusted Rack of Lamb served served over herbed risotton with sauteed spinach and a reduced port glaze

The next entree should be a touch lighter, a smaller poultry (quail or squab perhaps) if you guests are of the anti-fish variety, but I suggest a light fish dish

Seared Mahi Mahi served over scalloped potatoes with a beurre blanc sauce and vegetable confetti (mixed vegetables shredded on a mandolin then sauteed very light in butter with salt and pepper, use peppers, onions, carrots and zuchinni for a variety of color)

Por Fin- Les Postres
It is the holiday season, so let us do something decadent and what is more decadent than a bunch of chocolate. . .

Molten Chocolate cake served with fresh whipped cream and garnished with homemade chocolate truffles and a butter scotch sauce

Now, if any one really wants a heart attack, I can give you the "souped up" version of a holiday feast, but I think I will let doctor atkins lay in his grave for the time being

Peace be with you in your holiday adventures

Dan (a cook)
Weren (a cooks alto ego)

blisswriter

blissed beyond belief...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I rarely cook, but...

... I do have a ton of recipes on my computer. Here are a few. Hope y'all enjoy them.
smile.gif

Harvest Apple Crisp

4 medium Granny Smith or other tart apple(s), peeled, cored and sliced (about 7 cups)
1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/3 cups dried cranberries or raisins (optional)
3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cups Shedd’s Spread Country Crock® Spread Plus Yogurt
3/4 cups quick cooking or old-fashioned oats
1/4 cups chopped walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 350º.
  2. In large bowl, combine apples, granulated sugar and cinnamon. Stir in dried cranberries. Turn into greased 2-quart casserole; set aside.
  3. In another large bowl, combine flour and brown sugar. With pastry blender or two knives, cut in Shedd's Spread Country Crock Spread Plus Yogurt until mixture issize of small peas. Stir in oats and walnuts. Evenly sprinkle over apples.
  4. Bake 45 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is golden. Serve warm or at room temperature and, if desired, with vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt.

Zucchini Hash Browns

1 Tbs olive oil
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cup chopped red onion
1 tsp thyme
1 Tbs basil
4 medium zucchinis, grated
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/2 cup black olives, chopped
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3 Tbs grated Parmesan cheese
4 eggs, separated

1. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and saute the garlic and onions until the onions begin to look translucent.
  2. Add the herbs and cook for another few minutes.
  3. Add the zucchini and lower the heat.
  4. Cook for another 5 minutes.
  5. Remove this from the heat, taste, and add salt and pepper as you like.
  6. When you've gotten the flavor you like, add the parsley and olives.
  7. Taste again to see what the parsley and olives have done to your flavoring and adjust if necessary. Set aside.
  8. In a separate bowl, mix the flour and Parmesan. Stir this into the zucchini mixture.
  9. Whisk the egg yolks and add them to the mixture.
  10. Then, beat the egg whites until stiff and fold them into the mixture.
  11. Heat a skillet and add some oil for cooking.
  12. When the oil begins to sizzle, add the batter to the skillet (a la pancakes).From here, you can work the fritters much like pancakes.
  13. Carefully flip them over when they begin to brown. Don't allow them to burn. Between each fritter set, inspect the pan to make sure there is enough oil so that you do not burn the next set. Serve these with fresh tomatoes or salsa.

blisswriter

blissed beyond belief...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
More...

My momma is a vegetarian and was a raw-foodist at one time. She's made this before and it's one I really like.

Live Carrot Cake

1/2 cup soft pitted dates
1/2 cup chopped fresh or frozen pineapple, well drained
3/4 cup dried apples
1 cup carrot pulp
1/2 cup fine unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. allspice

1. Puree dates and pineapple in blender or food processor.
  2. Grind apples till fine.
  3. Mix all the ingredients together and shape into two layer "cakes" about 6 inches round.
  4. Assemble the layers one on top of the other with a frosting between and on top made of almond or cashew cheese sweetened with rice bran syrup.
Almost no added sweeteners and REALLY yummy.

Also, you can use carrot pulp to make burger type patties with ground, soaked sunflower seeds, minced celery, garlic and seasonings of your choice.

I haven't tried this one yet but my daughter loves tacos so maybe we'll do this soon.

COUSCOUS TACOS

1 14.5-oz can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
1 cup red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup chopped onion
4 tsp. taco seasoning mix
1 cup whole-wheat/regular couscous
1 10.5-oz. pkg. light tofu, extra firm, drained and crumbled
8 taco shells, heated
1 cup lettuce chopped
1 cup lowfat cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
Salsa
Low-fat sour cream (optional)

1. In a large saucepan, over medium heat, combine undrained stewed tomatoes, beans, vegetable broth, onion and taco seasoning.
  2. Bring to a boil. Stir in couscous and tofu. Cover and remove from stove. Let stand 5 minutes.
  3. Spoon couscous mixture into taco shells.
  4. Top with lettuce, cheese, salsa and sour cream.

Last edited:

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Home Made Baking Mix

10 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup baking powder
4 tsp. salt
2 cups all vegetable shortening

Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl. With pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Store in an airtight container. Makes about 12 1/2 cups.

This is sooooo much better than that well known baking mix that comes in the yellow box. Plus, you know exactly what went into the mixture.

UPDATE - This mix doesn't work for dumplings, they are too tender and they completely fall apart.

Last edited:

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
The Easiest Cookie Recipie On Earth!

Makes approximately 4 dozen per ‘box’ However now I feel like a cheat posting it below the recipie above. Maybe Threedogpeople will forgive me one day.

1 box of Cake mix. Usually at this time of year, the chains put the name brands on sale for $1.00 a box or less so use Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker. They come in a lot of different flavors that you can play with. The store brands are passable but I don’t think they have enough of something the national brands do and they didn’t turn out as well for me.

¼ cup plus 2 tsp sifted flour ( if you don’t have a sifter, stir it with a fork until the lumps are gone)

½ cup plus 2 tsp Canola Oil (you can use extra virgin olive oil or you can melt ½ cup of butter. You can use veg. oil if you must.)

¼ cup of water.

1 egg ( medium or large, not jumbo)

Put all ingredients in a bowl and using a big wooden (or plastic spoon) mix well. Make sure all of the big lumps of flour and cake mix are broken up and the batter is smooth. You should be able to take a teaspoon of it and roll it into a ball that keeps its shape, and is slightly greasy (you know, a bit of a shine on it.) If it does not keep its shape, add a tsp more flour or so.

Preheat oven to 350 f . Take your cookie sheet(s) ( try to get two cookie sheets going at the same time) and line with foil. ( Cooking parchment is much better, but it is 4 times as much as foil…so. . .)

Take spoonfuls of the cookie dough and roll it into balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet. You should get 12 on a sheet, spaced nicely. Use your thumb or the back of a spoon to flatten them slightly. Bake at 350 for 10 -12 min. ( serious..do not leave the kitchen!) Remove from oven and let cool. Remove from sheet and put on a plate.

NOTES AND VARIATIONS:

1) If the cookies stick they either have not cooked the full 10-12 min or you didn’t put in enough oil. Try adding an extra tsp of oil.

2) Let the cookie sheets cool to room temp between batches of cookies. This will prevent burning.

3) You can add: chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, nuts, raisens, dried fruits, and flavorings to these cookies. You can turn an orange flavored cookie ..really orange with food color. You can also add extra orange extract. You can make a batch or red cookies ( strawberry cake mix and red dye and strawberry flavoring) and a batch of orange (ditto) and after you press an indentation on each of the little balls, just put a teenie ballof the other color on top and they look fantastic after they are baked.

4) You can add 3 tablespoons of peanut butter to a chocolate or yellow cake mix and have a FANTASTIC peanut butter cookie.

5) You can add a ½ oz of Jack Daniels or any other liquor to a chocolate or spice flavor and come up with a nice after dinner cookie. If you add Jack or Bacardi to the cookie, you can put a Hershey’s kiss or a marichino cherry on the top, and make it a confection.

6) If you don’t have ascess to a lot of flavored cake mixes….a half a box of lime, strawberry, cherry etc jello makes a nice flavoring.

7) You can adapt this recipie any way you want to! So GO FOR IT.

Ok, this is it. Ready to ROCK?!?!?!?!

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Great idea!

Here's a recipe for what else would I post besides something chocolate, chocolate cookies:) They're yummy!

Chocolate Cookies

l pound sugar
l pound grated sweet chocolate
l pound butter
l lemon, juice and rind
l pound ground almonds
l l/2 pounds flour
6 eggs
2 teaspoons baking powder

Cream shortening. Add sugar. Blend thoroughly. Add eggs and beat well. Add the almonds, lemon juice and rind. Mix baking powder with the flour. Add to first mixture. Mix thoroughly. Chill. Roll to one-eight inch thickness, on a floured moulding board. Bake on a greased baking sheet in a moderately hot oven for ten minutes.

WerenCole

Registered
Reaction score
Earlier in the day I tried to post a detailed explanation of a soft shell crab sandwich. . . but I was doing it at the library computer at the university, and the damn browser ate it.

It was my longest post in months. Akin to some of the other recipes I have done (see above for the christmas five course dinner. . .)

ThreeDog. . . DO NOT MAKE A TUNA CASSEROLE.. . oh why dear lord would anybody ever stoop to something like that. I can't even stand the thought.

Disgruntled Weren
Personal Chef of the AW Water Cooler

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
WerenCole said:
Earlier in the day I tried to post a detailed explanation of a soft shell crab sandwich. . . but I was doing it at the library computer at the university, and the damn browser ate it.

It was my longest post in months. Akin to some of the other recipes I have done (see above for the christmas five course dinner. . .)

ThreeDog. . . DO NOT MAKE A TUNA CASSEROLE.. . oh why dear lord would anybody ever stoop to something like that. I can't even stand the thought.

Disgruntled Weren
Personal Chef of the AW Water Cooler

Poor, poor Waren, you must have been mistreated as a child. Tuna casserole was one of the staples at our house but my Mom's recipe is too da@# complicated. Fabulous but too complicated for a lazy cook to make. Good tuna though - not that one level lower and it would be cat food tuna. The good stuff - solid white albacore in spring water.

WerenCole

Registered
Reaction score
Canned tuna is cat food. No exceptions. Mistreated as a child? I would say that my parents did me a favor by not subjecting me to that crap.

And the name is Weren.