I pickled beetroots today.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was going to suggest you include a recipe, but I'm guessing passionfruit pulp + yoghurt.

That's it. (But I made the yoghurt myself. From my own yoghurt starter. And a cow.)

The pickledy beetroot thing is this lady's recipe. Except I used Masterfoods Spice pickle mix because I had some.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
That's it. (But I made the yoghurt myself. From my own yoghurt starter. And a cow.)

The pickledy beetroot thing is this lady's recipe. Except I used Masterfoods Spice pickle mix because I had some.

That sounds like really uhm, chunky yoghurt. In a really big container. With hooves.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds like really uhm, chunky yoghurt. In a really big container. With hooves.

Oh *sigh*

I don't use the whole cow. Just the milk part.

*sigh* and :rolleyes:

ETA: Oh now I feel mean! That was funny, Cornflake - I laughed out loud, I did. I'm just pretending to be 14 and unimpressed.

Last edited:

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I made pickled onions today!

It must be a milk-the-cow-and-pickle-a-veg day :)

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
My fave way to cook or preserve beets is with cranberry juice instead of vinegar or brine. Reinforces the fruity taste freshly roasted beets have. ^_^

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have never done pickled onions, but now that I have a garden I'm growing onions. Recipe? Please?
I use those little cocktail onions, the once that are a bit smaller than a golf ball.

Day 1: Peel about a kg of onions (expect to cry a lot). Put them in a large bowl in a 10% salt solution (boil about 700 ml water and 70 g salt, and pour it hot over the onions. Obviously, don't use a plastic bowl for this!). Let them sit overnight.

Day 2: Rinse the onions in three or four washes of cold plain water. Pack the onions into jars with one or two red chillis (fresh or dried) per jar (if you like a bit of hot spice; skip them if you don't).

Boil about 750 ml malt vinegar with about 150 g brown sugar plus whatever spices you like. I use a piece of cinnamon scroll, a couple bay leaves, half a tsp of sliced ginger, half a dozen cardomom pods, a star anise, half a tsp mustard seeds, half a tsp peppercorns, half a dozen cloves.... really whatever is in the cupboard. Boil the vinegar, sugar and spices for about twenty to thirty minutes. Strain into a jug, then pour the strained hot spiced vinegar into the jars of onions. Put the lids on and stick them in a cupboard. They should be good to go in two to three weeks.

I generally do 2 kgs at a time and find that they will fill three 1-litre jars, with a handful of onions left over (which I cook for dinner).

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Oh *sigh*

I don't use the whole cow. Just the milk part.

*sigh* and :rolleyes:

ETA: Oh now I feel mean! That was funny, Cornflake - I laughed out loud, I did. I'm just pretending to be 14 and unimpressed.

I think everyone is happy

33931323-happy-cow.jpg

that it didn't get all

hcmp29927_23619_s2.jpeg

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just sayin'...

My mother used to make those just for me. Except here in the US we just call them beets. She also did cucumber pickles, and spiced apple slices, and jams and jellies. She knew how to do all that stuff from growing up poor and on her grandparents farm when she was little.

MM

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I love beets - pickled or otherwise - my mom will occasionally make them but I just buy them now.

The addition of cranberry juice sounds very good (to cook in not to preserve because it's not acidic enough to prevent spoilage) and if you haven't tried them with orange juice or a small addition of grated rind with your cooked beets I recommend it. My favourite way to cook them though, is to toss them in oil, a sprinkling of s & p and bake them, skins on. They are wonderful this way.

It's still bloody raining here and this thread has given me a yen for borscht!

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
My borscht was excellent and yet I still hadn't had enough of beets so I made a roasted beet salad (roasted beets, oranges, chopped mint, onion, walnuts and feta) with a sweet/sour dressing (olive oil, orange rind, honey, wine vinegar, orange juice and dijon) - which was excellent too!

One caveat if you eat a lot of beets, do not be alarmed if you pee pink!

zarada

not afraid to leap
Registered
Reaction score
love beets. use to use them in soups, even fresh ones (I added sauerkraut juice to get that borscht taste). yes, we make sauerkraut, it's a staple at our house.

unfortunately i can't use beets any more, cuz them have too much sugar and me cooking for a diabetic household :( so, very jealous!

ETA: just rediscovered Plantain (Plantago Major) though (speaking of growing things, so not totally OFF TOPIC?). been suffering from a sprained ankle since 2007 (hah!). made a poultice from the common plantain last night and bandaged me ankle wid it overnight and all day today and this eve 'twas... less swollen/painfiul, believe it or not. so doing it all over tonight and will update t'morrow (if anyone interested).

now back to the regularly scheduled beet root :) sorry for the intermission.

Last edited:

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
:rolleyes:Ugh! I haven't started my canning yet and you people are making me feel quite guilty about it.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: just rediscovered Plantain (Plantago Major) though (speaking of growing things, so not totally OFF TOPIC?). been suffering from a sprained ankle since 2007 (hah!). made a poultice from the common plantain last night and bandaged me ankle wid it overnight and all day today and this eve 'twas... less swollen/painfiul, believe it or not. so doing it all over tonight and will update t'morrow (if anyone interested).

Now you've got me wanting to sprain my Paul's ankle, just to see if it works with beets...

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:rolleyes:Ugh! I haven't started my canning yet and you people are making me feel quite guilty about it.

I'm going to be starting on the marmalades very soon, if the orange tree is any indication... ;)